PDA

View Full Version : Need Baby Monitor for 2 Kid's Rooms

Evergreen
11-17-2009, 01:56 PM
Has anyone solved the problem of needing a baby monitor in more than 1 room? We use a monitor in our 2.5yr old's room (can't hear him otherwise) and will also need a monitor for the new baby. How do we do this without interference? Is there a monitor made to solve this problem? Thanks!

WatchingThemGrow
11-17-2009, 02:03 PM
We have this Summer Video cam (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00020V5A2/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0007OD8SU&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=13TTK0KMN3A1GKR0GD5D) with a 2.5" screen, plus the extra camera (http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-Camera-Handheld-Monitor/dp/B000M0KKGC/ref=pd_sim_ba_7).
Worth every penny, although there may be a newer model now. Ours is 2 years old. There is a switch on the side to flip between room A and room B.

Bella's Mommy
11-17-2009, 03:50 PM
We have the Summer Infant Best View video monitor and use 2 cameras in different rooms. We Love it and have had excellent reception, clarity, and no interfence with our cordless phones, wireless internet, neighbors or cell phones. We have used different Summer Infant video monitors for over 7 years now and have been very happy with them (a battery glitch was handled professionally by their CS) and would recommend them.

Evergreen
11-17-2009, 04:27 PM
The Summer Infant Monitor looks awesome but it is a bit pricey and I don't feel like having video is an absolute must. Any other ideas?

gobadgers
11-17-2009, 04:53 PM
You could try Craigslist for a second monitor - I see a lot of them listed on my local one.

I have the Summer Infant video monitor with two cameras. I thought it would be great, but it doesn't quite do the job for me. The problem I have with it is that I have to switch back and forth between channel "A" and "B" to hear both of them (i.e. if I leave it on channel "A" for DD's room and go do something else, DS on Channel "B" could be crying and I wouldn't hear him unless I go over and change the channel). I've heard that there is one that scans between channels A and B, but haven't ever seen it.

Anyway, I ended up solving the problem by using the video monitor in DS's room and my older Fisher Price monitor for DD's room. I have a receiver for each, and carry them both around (the neighbors must think its hilarious to see me out working in the yard with TWO monitors). We have not had any interference problems between these two.

ETA: I know our Fisher Price monitor has 10 channels, it seems like you could get two bases, two receivers and set them on different channels? Again, you'd have to get two monitors, but I think it would work.

the2bobs
11-17-2009, 08:12 PM
Saw the Summer Digital 2.4 ghz monitor (not video) at TJ Maxx (Dulles, VA) today clearanced for $20. They had it in metallic pink or blue.

ljackson
11-17-2009, 08:20 PM
I have the Graco imonitor multi child one and have been very happy with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Graco-iMonitor-Multi-Child-Monitor/dp/B000FUTW86

WatchingThemGrow
11-17-2009, 09:23 PM
You could try Craigslist for a second monitor - I see a lot of them listed on my local one.

I have the Summer Infant video monitor with two cameras. I thought it would be great, but it doesn't quite do the job for me. The problem I have with it is that I have to switch back and forth between channel "A" and "B" to hear both of them (i.e. if I leave it on channel "A" for DD's room and go do something else, DS on Channel "B" could be crying and I wouldn't hear him unless I go over and change the channel). I've heard that there is one that scans between channels A and B, but haven't ever seen it.

Anyway, I ended up solving the problem by using the video monitor in DS's room and my older Fisher Price monitor for DD's room. I have a receiver for each, and carry them both around (the neighbors must think its hilarious to see me out working in the yard with TWO monitors). We have not had any interference problems between these two.

ETA: I know our Fisher Price monitor has 10 channels, it seems like you could get two bases, two receivers and set them on different channels? Again, you'd have to get two monitors, but I think it would work.

I tried this too - using my Graco iMonitor in our br for ds2, then the video on DD and DS1. They interfered :(

As DD has gotten older, it has been totally fun to watch her play during rest time, and it really gives me some peace of mind that I can flip it on and see what she's doing. And...both our boys are thumbsuckers. They make no noise when they wake up, but they quietly suck their thumbs. Glad I have video to see the movement.

HIU8
11-17-2009, 11:12 PM
We have a basic monitor in DS's room (yup, he is 5 and we still have one b/c he has sleep apnea). Anyway, we got one with channels on it for DD so that we could change the channel if we got interference. It has worked great.

deannanb
11-17-2009, 11:12 PM
we have the Nortech cameras -
http://www.amazon.com/Nortech-Security-2-4GHz-Wireless-System/dp/B000Q7G29A

Not sure what DH paid (he got them at Sam's or Costco) -
they are the best. Hooked up to our bedroom tv - and in the kitchen (we have 3 cameras) I am able to switch between the kid's rooms and the play room -

hellokitty
11-17-2009, 11:22 PM
We used an old phillips (my fav, I'm so sad that they no longer make them, the old ones were the best) monitor and then got a crappy fisher price one, when DS1 and DS2 both needed them. Funny enough, now with DS3 we are using the two systems together again. We have to set up in his room, and that way we can leave the fisher price one downstairs and the phillips one in our bdrm so I'm not hauling the monitor back and forth. So, if you want to piece it together like we way we did it, it's totally doable, esp if you find a set used or someone just gives you their old monitor.

gobadgers
11-17-2009, 11:36 PM
I tried this too - using my Graco iMonitor in our br for ds2, then the video on DD and DS1. They interfered :(

Bummer! You know, it never occurred to me that they might interfere. I've been using mine side-by-side ever since DS was born, all around the house and yard with no problems. Maybe I just got lucky. FWIW, I use Summer Infant handheld video monitor and Fisher Price Private Connection.

gobadgers
11-17-2009, 11:40 PM
As DD has gotten older, it has been totally fun to watch her play during rest time, and it really gives me some peace of mind that I can flip it on and see what she's doing. And...both our boys are thumbsuckers. They make no noise when they wake up, but they quietly suck their thumbs. Glad I have video to see the movement.

I like having the video too, it gives me some peace of mind, especially for the little one. We didn't get a video monitor until DD was almost a year old, and didn't think we really needed one. Once we got one though, we were hooked. I swear DH just sits there and watches it like it's TV - even when they're both asleep!

lhafer
11-17-2009, 11:43 PM
The 2008 Bargain Baby book recommends the Graco imonitor Multi Child Monitor ($130) for this. It monitors 2 rooms and switches between the rooms at preset intervals.

I still monitor my 3.5 year old daugther at night when she's sleeping. I am not sure what I am going to do when our next daughter is born in Feb. I figured we would wait to see if we wanted a dual monitor for both rooms.

If you get one, report back and let us know how you like it!!