PDA

View Full Version : All inclusive resort (adult only) for April?

SnuggleBuggles
11-17-2009, 06:28 PM
Where would you go in April for a good price and good weather? 10th anniversary this year and if I don't start planning we won't end up anywhere! Modest budget, coming from the east coast.

Any thoughts on where you would go? We don't get out much so I am all ears!!

Thanks!
Beth

Twoboos
11-17-2009, 06:32 PM
My destination would be Aruba, no doubt!!! THey must have all-inclusives there. Not bad from the east coast, I think it's only an hour time change so no jet lag.

Tondi G
11-17-2009, 10:22 PM
The Caribbean is nice in April ... not hurricane season yet, lots of all inclusive resorts.

don't forget to check trip advisor for recent travel reviews! http://www.tripadvisor.com/

mommyp
11-18-2009, 11:51 PM
:yeahthat:
I would go to the Bahamas in a heartbeat. We were there for my sister's wedding and loved it. We didn't do all-inclusive, so I don't have any recommendations that way, but it will be before hurricane season and lovely weather. The snorkeling was amazing! We also took out sea kayaks one day. We flew to Miami and got a flight from there that was not too expensive from what I recall. Okay now I want to go back...:)

michellerw
11-19-2009, 12:05 AM
IIRC, there aren't as many all inclusives in Aruba as you would think. DH and I originally looked into honeymooning there and ran into that.

We just got back from Jamaica and found a number of great deals. We booked through Air Jamaica Vacations and got our airfare and our all inclusive resort packaged up together. It was still less expensive than booking through Orbitz or Expedia or whatever. Sometimes booking directly through the resort chain will yield a great deal too.

We didn't stay at an adults only resort because it wasn't necessary in October/early November, but there are a number of them in Jamaica, on all coasts. I would definitely recommend looking into it; Continental, Delta, and Air Jamaica all fly into Jamaica and there seem to be a number of great deals through the resorts.

infomama
11-19-2009, 08:44 AM
USVI specifically St. John. That is where we honeymooned and it is amazing. St. Thomas if you like a more commercial feel (lots more shopping and touristy stuff). No passport needed unless you take a boat to the British VI.
http://www.virgin-islands-hotels.com/markets/allinclusive.htm#STJ

clc053103
11-19-2009, 09:34 AM
There are AI in Aruba but honestly, I wouldn't stay at one, I would go to a regular hotel because the dining in restaurants in ARuba are that good, and the transportation around the island is price fixed, friendly and safe.

The only AI I've been to were Breezes in Bahamas and Punta Cana. Bahamas was nice, Punta Cana was gross and It hink they sold it.

fivi2
11-19-2009, 11:10 AM
USVI specifically St. John. That is where we honeymooned and it is amazing. St. Thomas if you like a more commercial feel (lots more shopping and touristy stuff). No passport needed unless you take a boat to the British VI.
http://www.virgin-islands-hotels.com/markets/allinclusive.htm#STJ

I love St John!

But, I would double check the passport thing. I think they are required now even for the USVI. (we had to rush to get dh one) But I may be wrong!

emily
11-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Have done Jamaica, DR, Bahamas all inclusive in the past few years. Find yourself a resort that is about a year or so old with good reviews on Trip Advisor. We did Jamaica twice and DR in April a few years back, I think.

We love all inclusive for the no worry factor. But go with realistic expectation. It's all inclusive. You're not going to get five star quality meals, mostly decent buffets. But overall, I have to say the service was good at most of the places we've stayed. We managed to get free upgrades most of the time. By far my favorite island is Jamaica. You really can't beat the friendly people. DR is a close second.

Caribbean is a great destination from the east coast. You can get on a plane in the AM and be on the beach by the afternoon with no jet lag!

SnuggleBuggles
11-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Thank you for all the suggestions!! I will check them out! :)

I should say that we did go to Breezes Bahamas like a decade ago. We had a really nice time. I really like the all inclusives mainly for the ease. I don't want to have to worry about money or getting around. As much as I know we are missing out on good food off the resort, I admit that finding restaurants is one of my least favorite parts about traveling (nuts, I know :)). Of course, a decade ago dh and I weren't nearly as picky about food as we are now so I'll just have to try and find and AI with better food. :)

Beth

ray7694
11-19-2009, 01:55 PM
I would go to a Couples/Sandals all inclusive resort. Jamaica or Bahamas.

egoldber
11-19-2009, 01:59 PM
FYI, many resorts in the Carribbean offer an "all inclusive plan", which may include all 3 meals or only breakfast and dinner. We have done this at a couple places. Generally the food tends to be better because it isn't just an AI, meaning that all the food is not buffet oriented.

If you like to snorkel or dive, Bonaire is amazing.

elektra
11-19-2009, 02:08 PM
I really like Playa Del Carmen in Mexico. Lot's of all-inclusives there. Just a tad south of Cancun in case you haven't heard of it.

infomama
11-19-2009, 02:12 PM
I love St John!

But, I would double check the passport thing. I think they are required now even for the USVI. (we had to rush to get dh one) But I may be wrong!
Good call. http://studenttravel.about.com/b/2009/03/31/will-you-need-a-passport-for-us-virgin-islands-travel.htm

Passport OR drivers license AND certified birth certificate copy needed upon re-entry in the US.

mrspeachykeen
11-20-2009, 11:07 AM
Sandals resorts are very overrated. Try Excellence or Secrets resorts. I've been to 2 different Excellence resorts in Mexico and they were both wonderful. Tripadvisor is a great resource for AI information.