PDA

View Full Version : Anyone take Biaxin/clarithromycin?

egoldber
11-17-2009, 08:37 PM
They think Sarah has a secondary bacterial infection and this is what the PA prescribed for Sarah. We've never taken this before. Even after a LOT of shaking, it is soooooo gritty! Is it supposed to be that way?

I honestly don't know if she'll take this and she takes meds pretty well.

BabyMine
11-17-2009, 08:42 PM
M has taken it. It is a littler thicker than Amoxil. M loved it. Remember not to put it in the fridge.

egoldber
11-17-2009, 08:47 PM
See, this is not thick at all. It is runny with tiny granules that I can see and feel. It's almost like a sandy liquid.

caleymama
11-17-2009, 09:05 PM
DD2 had to take it two summers ago for 3 weeks. She had Lyme Disease and ended up being allergic to the amox that was originally prescribed. It's definitely not fun and the doctor & pharmacist warned us about the texture and taste. DD2 took it surprisingly well, but IIRC we did end up chasing it with some honey or chocolate syrup on a spoon after a while. She doesn't generally need a "chaser" for other meds.

Good luck!

kimbe
11-17-2009, 09:54 PM
I had to take Biaxin when I was in college. The pills were HUGE. I hope that I never have to take it again.

The worst part about it was the taste. It gave me a horrible metallic taste in my mouth for hours after I took it. If I didn't take it with enough food and/or I didn't eat to keep the taste away I would vomit.

So even if you get her to take it, if it gives her a constant bad taste in her mouth, that could be the last straw. I would say lots of snacks while she is on it. Honey and chocolate syrup sound like a very good choice!

Good Luck and I hope that she feels better soon!

BabyMine
11-17-2009, 10:00 PM
I would call the pharmacy.

o_mom
11-17-2009, 10:03 PM
I would call the pharmacy. If the one you went to isn't open and it's a chain (Walgreens, etc.), then find the nearest 24 hr one and call there. Otherwise, I would wait until the AM and get confirmation before you give it to her.

bubbaray
11-17-2009, 10:17 PM
See, this is not thick at all. It is runny with tiny granules that I can see and feel. It's almost like a sandy liquid.

Yup, DD#1 has been on it a couple of times. That is exactly what its like. NOT thick. Thin and sandy.

FWIW, it apparently tastes horrible and can't be flavored?!

egoldber
11-17-2009, 10:33 PM
I did call the pharmacy. They agreed that is what it was supposed to be like.

It is going to be a long 10 days. :(

bubbaray
11-17-2009, 10:35 PM
Definitely use the syringe. Its NOT a drug that even I would take on a spoon.

Can you bribe with stickers or dollar store rewards or candy? Desperate times call for desperate measures and all that....

GL! Hope she's better soon!

egoldber
11-17-2009, 10:36 PM
Well she did take it. I warned her and she gagged on it a bit, but she did swallow it.

I will suggest the syringe to her, but it has to be her idea. If tomorrow does not go better I am going to call and ask for something else.

bubbaray
11-17-2009, 10:40 PM
Isn't it 1 dose per day? I recall that there was some advantage to it over a regular penicillin-type antibiotic (the usual 3x/d). If your child is in daycare/school its a lot easier to deal with 1 dose a day (or even 2) rather than figure out how to get 3 doses in, KWIM? Its been a while since DD#1 has had it, so I can't really remember the details.

egoldber
11-17-2009, 10:45 PM
It's twice a day. There is an XR version, but the liquid is twice a day.

caheinz
11-17-2009, 11:01 PM
Does it come as a liquid? Or is the pharmacy compounding it?

If you're having a chain compound it, try a local compounding pharmacy if you have one around. They can make a world of difference... sometimes they have another way to mix up the same active ingredients besides just crushing the pills. (We've had this problem with a different antibiotic recently, and it was vile from the chain, and pleasant bubblegum from the compounding pharmacy... But, we're also spoiled with a very very good compounding pharmacy nearby.)

egoldber
11-17-2009, 11:03 PM
No, it comes as a liquid. Rather, it comes as powder and the pharmacy simply adds water.

kayte
11-17-2009, 11:22 PM
No, it comes as a liquid. Rather, it comes as powder and the pharmacy simply adds water.

Can you get the same dosage as a pill, grind it yourself an mix it into apple sauce or yogurt -Something for her taste as she gags it down???? DD recently took zophran --- first they gave it compounded into a liquid and she promptly gagged and threw it up. I called the Dr back after this happened twice and she prescribed pills which I crushed and mixed up in a spoon full of applesauce. It was much better.

caheinz
11-18-2009, 12:51 AM

If you have a compounding pharmacy around, it could be worth a call to ask specifically what they could do differently, if anything...

We went from nightly struggles to what is essentially a shrug. And this from a kid who has been taking meds daily for years... so it really was the one med.