PDA

View Full Version : jarred vs homemade

Sweetum
11-17-2009, 09:26 PM
do 4 oz of jarred baby food equal 4 oz of homemade baby food? I ask 'cause I feel that homemade food is more concentrated, and hence denser and heavier. Jarred food, I feel, is a little more diluted. Anyone feel the same way? I got thinking about it since I'm trying to understand how much of homemade food DS would eat if he ate 4oz of jarred food per sitting.

Am I over-thinking everything????

Thank you, everyone...always, always, always helpful :)

-SunshineAndMe

Katigre
11-17-2009, 09:44 PM
I can only speak to my experience - jarred food is much thinner and more watery so I would think a baby would eat less of homemade to get the same amount of calories.

For awhile last year I was doing the "Deceptively Delicious" food thing where you put vegetable and fruit purees into food like oatmeal, pancakes, spaghetti sauce, etc...

I usually made my own purees (sweet potato and carrot mostly) but once I bought some baby food instead to use. It was so thin and runny compared to the homemade purees!

o_mom
11-17-2009, 09:46 PM
Since he is 9 mos, why not just go to finger foods?

I didn't really do much purees, but when feeding other babies, I felt like the jarred stuff was pretty runny as the PP said.

JBaxter
11-17-2009, 10:44 PM
by 9 months you should be introducing finger foods. Soft cooked carrots, broccoli, sweet potatoes white potatoes, sweet potatoe fries, ripe pears, soft cooked apple chunks, banana pieces etc. If your dc isnt quite ready to self feed the most my 9 month olds needed was a little smashed with a fork.

BTW Ive never heard of not giving a baby raw foods. How are you giving things like bananas?