PDA

View Full Version : Not happy with Fisher Price, re: Laugh n Learn Learning Home

Clarity
11-17-2009, 11:58 PM
I know a lot of people have the LnL Learning Home and have been pretty happy with it but I'm currently not, nor am I satisfied with Fisher Price's customer service. I posted recently that the LnL Learning Home that I bought for dd1 about 2 years ago has stopped working. The sound is gone. We've replaced the batteries twice, didn't help.

So I finally realize it is truly broke and get on the phone with Fisher Price customer service. They say "take apart the clock and reconnect the cables". I hang up and try that. Still nothing. I called F.P. again to let them know that didn't work and the answer was pretty much, "I'm sorry you paid almost $70 for a product that stopped working after just 2 years. We only offer a 1 year warrenty. There's nothing we can do for you."

I am actually pretty disgusted that 1) a $70 dollar toy only lasts 2 years, and 2) that Fisher Price does not stand behind their product and offer some sort of solution or replacement.

I won't be recommending the toy anymore. :thumbsdown:

happymom
11-18-2009, 12:03 AM
I would try calling back and talking to someone else. I had an experience with Fisher Price too- I received a Fisher Price bouncer as a baby gift and beforre I even opened it, I read reviews online about it. Everyone hated it because it had hard plastic toys hanging from the bar that would detach and hit the babies in the face. I called Fisher Price on a whim to see what they would offer. The first person I spoke to basically said "sorry, nothing we can do." I called back. The second person offered to send me a voucher for the value of the bouncer. I was very happy with that.

Try calling back.

NewfieNat
11-18-2009, 12:27 AM
The same thing happened to me. I replaced the batteries, took the whole thing apart, etc. Finally called FP who gave me simple instructions to reset it. It worked! I'm sorry I don't remember the instructions, it had something to do with the light switch. I'd call FP back and ask for specific steps.

Natalie

vonfirmath
11-18-2009, 12:29 AM
I guess I don't see it as that weird that you spend $70 on a baby toy that doesn't last forever. I'd be upset too. But you did get 2 years of use out of it. I've got a toy I spent that much on that didn't last that long. But it was out of warranty so I figured it lasted as long as the company expected it to.

If they expected it to last 5 years, they'd put a 5 year warranty on it.

Clarity
11-18-2009, 12:45 AM
If they expected it to last 5 years, they'd put a 5 year warranty on it.

I don't agree with this assessment. To extrapolate, this would mean that auto dealers only expect their cars to last 3 years because they warrenty them for 3 years. We ALL expect our vehicles to last longer than 3years.

In this case, if I thought that FP only gave a 1 year warrenty because that's how long they expected their toy to last, I certainly would never have purchased it. I'm disappointed because I do expect a toy to last longer than 2 years. Well cared for, I expect it to last until my child grows out of it.

DrSally
11-18-2009, 01:59 AM
I would try calling back too, maybe you'll get someone who knows how to "reset" it or a more satisfactory solution. I called about a spring that broke on our highchair tray. It was out of warranty, but she left the phone briefly and came back and said they were sending a brand new tray, no charge. Also, I believe the ball popper I bought at Once Upon a child didn't have any balls and I really wanted it for DS. I called and they sent me a pack of balls, free of charge. I agree that just b/c the warranty is 1 year, doesn't mean the product should only last a year. That's silly. Ours is still fine at 3.5 years.

KrisM
11-18-2009, 02:09 AM
Our first one died in less than a year. That was 4 years ago now. They sent a new one for free. But, it was under warranty.

I would call back and if the person can't help, ask to speak to someone else. See if they'll give you a voucher or something.

I would expect it to last well over 2 years, regardless of the cost.

vonfirmath
11-18-2009, 11:49 AM
I don't agree with this assessment. To extrapolate, this would mean that auto dealers only expect their cars to last 3 years because they warrenty them for 3 years. We ALL expect our vehicles to last longer than 3years.

Actually, an awful lot of cars that I've bought have 10 year/100,000 mile warranties on them. And I have noticed that cars start breaking down after that.

Clarity
11-18-2009, 12:02 PM
The fact remains that yes, I do expect my purchases to last longer than the period for which they are warrantied.

Piglet
11-18-2009, 12:43 PM
I do too, but I can not expect the manufacturer to help me out past a certain point or there would be no point in limiting the warranty at all. They would have to have a lifetime warranty and the cost would be higher for the product to account for all the repair work that everyone requires. I don't see how F-P is a bad company in this regard. They are very good about fixing things within the warranty period and will sometimes go above and beyond (for which I am grateful). If you buy something with a 1 year warranty you can expect it to last for a long time (which is may or may not do), but you can not expect the company to repair it after that warranty expires.

Clarity
11-18-2009, 02:29 PM
I do too, but I can not expect the manufacturer to help me out past a certain point or there would be no point in limiting the warranty at all. They would have to have a lifetime warranty and the cost would be higher for the product to account for all the repair work that everyone requires. I don't see how F-P is a bad company in this regard. They are very good about fixing things within the warranty period and will sometimes go above and beyond (for which I am grateful). If you buy something with a 1 year warranty you can expect it to last for a long time (which is may or may not do), but you can not expect the company to repair it after that warranty expires.

No, they don't have to help me. But I'm going to let people know that their product didn't withstand 2 years of GENTLE use and that they didn't stand behind their product when it didn't.

happymom
11-18-2009, 04:27 PM
No, they don't have to help me. But I'm going to let people know that their product didn't withstand 2 years of GENTLE use and that they didn't stand behind their product when it didn't.

I understand your point and think it couldnt hurt to call back. Although I know what a pain it is to make these customer service phone calls wth kids around...Good luck!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
11-18-2009, 06:11 PM

In this case, if I thought that FP only gave a 1 year warrenty because that's how long they expected their toy to last, I certainly would never have purchased it. I'm disappointed because I do expect a toy to last longer than 2 years. Well cared for, I expect it to last until my child grows out of it.

:yeahthat:
If that were true we would all be driving Hyundais...