PDA

View Full Version : Babycenter says "BM not sufficient after 1 yo"

DrSally
11-18-2009, 12:52 AM
I was clicking through the Babycenter email I get each month and came upon this:

http://www.babycenter.com/0_cows-milk-when-and-how-to-introduce-it_1334703.bc

In referring to a child over 12 months of age: "Just make sure that breast milk isn't his primary source of nourishment. He's grown to where he needs more. Your 1- to 2-year-old child should drink 16 to 24 ounces of whole [cow's] milk a day. "

I am contemplating emailing them, as I believe this is incorrect. I thought BM was higher in fat than cow's milk and has plenty of calcium. The D in cow's milk is just a supplement that can be received via other supplementation (if not sunshine).

DS had a milk allergy and BF until 3 yo. He did like soymilk and drank it from about 18 months on. DD, however, is 16 mo and doesn't like soy or cow's milk, so I haven't pushed it. She nurses 4 times a day. I also give her trivisol, which has 400 mg vitamin D. She does drink some water and eats a lot of cheese. The ped didn't have any prob with BM being her primary source of "milk". DD's weight did dip down and the ped would like to see it go back up at the next visit, but she didn't mention any suggestions. I'm thinking of adding whole milk yogurt and some high quality eggs.

SnuggleBuggles
11-18-2009, 09:54 AM
:shake: Why would milk produced by a cow for a baby cow be necessary for a baby human when human milk is available? Milk made by the mom is going to have the nutritional make-up that the baby needs more so than the milk from another species. Not to mention that during cold and flu season it is nice to get mom's fresh milk with all the lovely antiboidies. I think that breastmilk + a well rounded diet after 12m is a fine diet.

Beth

DrSally
11-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Exactly, I don't know why they would say this?

KarenLud
11-18-2009, 11:15 AM
I agree. I have found that several of BC "advice" rubs me the wrong way. They make me feel all panicked when DS isn't sitting up unassisted at 6 months..he did at 7 months! I feel like some of their advice gives hard and fast developmental expectations and we all know babies do stuff on their schedule!

DrSally
11-18-2009, 11:32 AM
I agree. I have found that several of BC "advice" rubs me the wrong way. They make me feel all panicked when DS isn't sitting up unassisted at 6 months..he did at 7 months! I feel like some of their advice gives hard and fast developmental expectations and we all know babies do stuff on their schedule!

I agree. I generally don't go to BC for advice, but I read it when they send me their newsletter. I find their info similar to "Parent's" magazine--generic and, like you said, sometimes comes across as absolutes.

misshollygolightly
11-18-2009, 12:09 PM
Hmm...I think they should definitely reword that. The point is that breastmilk alone isn't sufficient for an older child (12 m+), and that it should be accompanied by a healthy diet. NOT, as they seem to be suggesting, that breastmilk should be accompanied by cow's milk, or that cow's milk necessarily needs to replace breastmilk. I think I understand what they meant to say, but what they meant to say is NOT what they said! I hope you'll write them and suggest they reword this!

ThreeofUs
11-18-2009, 12:10 PM
That's insane. BC advice is just plain wrong sometimes. This just sounds like a way to serve the dairy industry. Wonder if they are big contributors to babycenter? Was there a milk or yogurt ad right next to the article? (sorry, just cynical, I guess...)

ETA: here's the kellymom page: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html

and here: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/toddler-foods.html

carolinamama
11-18-2009, 12:58 PM
:shake: Why would milk produced by a cow for a baby cow be necessary for a baby human when human milk is available? Milk made by the mom is going to have the nutritional make-up that the baby needs more so than the milk from another species. Not to mention that during cold and flu season it is nice to get mom's fresh milk with all the lovely antiboidies. I think that breastmilk + a well rounded diet after 12m is a fine diet.

Beth

:yeahthat:

No wonder people have so many weird ideas about bfing.

maestramommy
11-18-2009, 01:57 PM
That whole statement is a little wacky. I could understand better if they said, "after 12 months a baby really needs solid foods, " but cow's milk instead of breastmilk? What if your baby is getting that many oz of breastmilk (not that mine did), do you still need to feed them cow's milk? If the baby was still breastfeeding to such an extent think of all the money you could save on vitamins, probiotics, and DHA:jammin:

AnnieW625
11-18-2009, 02:04 PM
I didn't breast feed past 12 mos., but I do agree with Maestra Mommy's wording of how it should've been worded.

ett
11-18-2009, 04:03 PM
Hmm...I think they should definitely reword that. The point is that breastmilk alone isn't sufficient for an older child (12 m+), and that it should be accompanied by a healthy diet. NOT, as they seem to be suggesting, that breastmilk should be accompanied by cow's milk, or that cow's milk necessarily needs to replace breastmilk. I think I understand what they meant to say, but what they meant to say is NOT what they said! I hope you'll write them and suggest they reword this!

:yeahthat: I was thinking that that was what they meant to say, but just worded it really poorly.

DrSally
11-18-2009, 04:12 PM
You know, it's possible they meant to say that a 12+ month old also needs solids, but I really didn't read it that way. The link I posted was to the full article, the topic of the article is introducing cow's milk, so the theme is how/when/why to introduce cow's milk, KWIM? Also, the subheading of the paragraph that I took the quote from is "My toddler doesn't seem to want cow's milk. Any tricks I can try?", so that particular whole subsection is devoted to how to get your toddler to drink cow's milk, with no mention of solids.

ETA: Kellymom and other sources say that if you nurse your 12+ month old 3-4 times a day, they do not need cow's milk, which is just a convenient source of calcium, fat, and Vit D. It's nice to have a source that says the number of times you need to nurse a day to be sufficient.

ThreeofUs
11-18-2009, 04:19 PM
ETA: Kellymom and other sources say that if you nurse your 12+ month old 3-4 times a day, they do not need cow's milk, which is just a convenient source of calcium, fat, and Vit D. It's nice to have a source that says the number of times you need to nurse a day to be sufficient.

This is consonant with everything the experts have to say. You do not *need* to feed your child cow's milk, as long as you're bf'ing 3-4 times/day, and giving them liquids so they stay hydrated.