PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions needed

ZeeBaby
11-18-2009, 10:56 AM
I need some suggestions on how to keep my 17 mos old occupied when I am bfing my 5 week old. She is ok in the beginnng but starts to runout of patience when it takes too long. TIA.

ZeeBaby
11-19-2009, 10:28 AM
Just bumping this up. Sorry I am stressed lol.

MizMojoLaveau
11-19-2009, 10:40 AM
perhaps it would be a good time to have her sit with you and read a book or two?

athompson
11-19-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm sure this is a very stressful time, I remember it well. Here are a few ideas:

Maybe giving her some crayons and a big pad of paper to sit on. Ask her to "draw" things she sees in the room for you.

How about a leapfrog radio and she can press the buttons and dance or you could press the buttons and play freeze dance.

Do you have two play phones? Try holding one and letting her hold the other while you have a conversation.

Does she have any Schleich or Playmobil (or similar) animals. Will she play with these and you all could practice animal sounds together?

Good luck! I know this is a tough time, but you can do it:waving4:

MoJo
11-19-2009, 11:10 AM
What does your 17 month old like to do? Mine likes to go get things. . . like shoes and socks, for example. She's pretty good at playing on the floor while I do something (I keep the door closed so she can't get too far away.) She does like the phone and the LeapFrog Radio (or anything else that she can get to play music.) She loves to pull stuff out of a box or her little purse, and that keeps her occupied as much as anything. Are some of the 17-month-old's toys in the same room where you're nursing the baby?

I think it would be hard to have a 5 week old right now, so :hug: for you. I'd be stressed, too! I'm hoping that by the time I have a new one to BF, my DD will be old enough to understand a little more and do a little more.

Jen841
11-19-2009, 11:25 AM
Don't laugh, J loved pairing socks when I nursed. He would find a match and I would attach them.

We also sang wheels on the bus with a lot of verses, and when you are happy and you know it ___ ____ _____...

WatchingThemGrow
11-19-2009, 11:36 AM
We did a lot of Signing Time, but there are much more creative things as PPers suggested. We have nursing issues, so I couldn't interact very much AND there was a 3yo to entertain also.

gobadgers
11-19-2009, 11:55 AM
It is so tough to relax and nurse with a toddler demanding attention! We set up a little 'nursing corner' that all three of us sat in while I nurse DS. We have some of DD's books and other toys that keep her busy. She doesn't seem as likely to look for attention by getting into trouble, when we are all on the floor together. She also got used to that ritual and (eventually) it got to be no big deal anymore. We used a lot of the same toys as PP's too - filling and emptying her purse is good for an entire nursing session, LOL.

ETA: I tried to rotate the toys out every few days or week, so that there was always something a little novel for DD.

ett
11-19-2009, 03:18 PM
perhaps it would be a good time to have her sit with you and read a book or two?

:yeahthat: I read to DS1 a lot when I was nursing DS2. That is until DS2 became too distractible.

ZeeBaby
11-20-2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I tried implementing some of these and it seems to be helping, but she seems to be becoming more and more jealous of the baby. Having two so close together has it's own set of issues.