PDA

View Full Version : felt food makers?

Seitvonzu
11-18-2009, 10:56 AM
hi! my addiction to play food has encouraged me to start yet another crafting endevour (i've made TONS of knitted food, but it takes FOREVER and doesn't work for certain things)

joanns has felt on sale and i'm about to order this book from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/4889962328/ref=pd_luc_mri?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

i'd like to peruse the colors at joanns and pick up some "basics"-- browns and anything else that strikes me as food colored. i do NOT want to end up with a bunch of supplies i won't use...but i don't want to have a bunch of pieces of felt that are too small for making things.

should i stock up on whole yards? (pricey) or half yards (still adds up?) or smaller pieces and focus on lots of colors? (i'm sure my selection is going to be limited at joanns...but the last time i was there they had quite a bit of the blended felt ...

i'm putting this on LOUNGE to get more views, but i understand this might have to move :)

hit me with your expertise!

kayte
11-18-2009, 01:04 PM
Perhaps this isn't what you want to hear (considering the sale) but I would make a list first of what you want to make and then decide on colors.

I prefer wool felt, and our JoAnn's selection is very limited (earthy tones mostly) so I order it online. (I think I linked an etsy seller for you in another post) I make of list of what I want to do in the near future and order the felt.

Felt food takes a very small amount of fabric. I get 12X18 pieces and they make a good deal of food.

If you have a Hobby Lobby near you they sell sets of wool felt (5 or 6 colors iirc) 12" square pieces for $8, plus they often have a 40% off coupon.

Seitvonzu
11-18-2009, 02:42 PM
thanks-- you were right about the mostly earthy colors. i am going to investigate the seller you pointed me too more when i get my hands on the book :) i know i'll be doing cakes and cookies, so i went ahead and got brown, tan, white , off white and some red :) i also bought some pink, which was cheap but reallyreally felt that way (it was that eco stuff which seemed durable but feels ICK).

we do NOT have hobby lobby unfortunately :( wish we did!