PDA

View Full Version : antibiotics/probiotics question

sarahsthreads
11-18-2009, 11:18 AM
OK, so my plague-like illness from last week (likely H1N1, but they didn't actually test it, so unconfirmed) has morphed into a sinus infection. Joy of joys.

I'm on 10 days of amoxicillan, twice a day. I bought some probiotics while I was at the pharmacy, but it's not clear to me when I should take them. Halfway in between the antibiotic doses? At the same time? Once a day? Twice?

Basically, I'd like to avoid thrush, which I had with DD1 after my c-section.

Also, I can up my yogurt intake, but I cannot stand plain yogurt, no matter how much fruit I mix into it. So is it worth it to eat vanilla yogurt with berries mixed in, or will the extra sugar in the vanilla yogurt nullify the good effects?

Thanks!
Sarah :)

sste
11-18-2009, 11:25 AM
My husband is a GI doc and for what its worth we never buy probiotics (though we have no particular GI problems in our family). He told me that "wallaby" yogurt available at whole foods and many good flavors has the highest amount of active, live cultures.

Clarity
11-18-2009, 11:34 AM
I'm on my second round of antibiotics (this time a zpack) to rid myself of a persistant sinus infection. I'm eating regular yogurt because I don't care for sweetner, but I'm also just taking my probiotics twice a day. I think the instructions just say to do so about an hour after you eat. So try to take the recommended amount an hour after breakfast and if it calls for 2x a day, you can do so an hour after dinner too.
My dd2 is still nursing, so she's getting a spoonful of children's probiotic in her a.m. rice milk too.

chozen
11-18-2009, 02:44 PM
i think they are suppose to be kept cold? i have gotten mine from health food store and they were in frig. , i didnt know if walgreens kept it in frig. anyways to answer your question i take one a day bottle says one or two a day.:)

Clarity
11-18-2009, 03:24 PM
Yes, I keep my acidophilus in the refrigerator. You can buy shelf stable probiotics, but I prefer the refrigerated ones.

sarahsthreads
11-18-2009, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the replies!

I did get the shelf stable kind, in capsules, because that was all the pharmacy had at the time.

I guess I'll take them around lunch time - I'm taking the abx before breakfast and after dinner, so it'll be easier to remember. I think.

Sarah :)