PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Photo Postcard/Postage

sste
11-18-2009, 04:14 PM
To reduce paper waste and save money, I want to make a holiday photo card of DS that can be sent without an envelope as a postcard and using postcard postage rather than full postage.

Everything I have seen online seems to include envelopes and I am not clear on the size restriction for postcard postage.

Anyone have any ideas?

Momof3Labs
11-18-2009, 04:15 PM
usps.com will have all the size information for the postcard rate.

I'd personally be very reluctant to do that with my child's photo - I much prefer wrapping it in a flimsy white envelope, lol, hidden from peering eyes. Too many weirdos out there these days.

bigsis
11-18-2009, 04:20 PM
I have a friend who did her cards out of www.vistaprint.com. It's a good size and can be sent like a postcard.

Come to think of this, you can also do this via Costco. I did my son's bday party invitations that way last year.

sste
11-18-2009, 04:24 PM
OK, I managed to get the dimensions off of usps (5.5-6 length and 3.5 to 4.25 height). But the site is awful!! I can't find postcard postage - - is it still less than regular letter postage?

Also, momof3labs I am going to have to think over the safety issue, that didn't occur to me.

kayte
11-18-2009, 04:27 PM
Also, momof3labs I am going to have to think over the safety issue, that didn't occur to me.

Don't use a return address (most postcards don' t anyway) and mail from the post office.

WatchingThemGrow
11-18-2009, 04:46 PM
We designed a photo card and mailed it out quickly - totally online, just by uploading our card and addresses on AmazingMail.com (http://amazingmail.com/default.aspx)
It was our wedding save the date, though. We've never done it with our kids' pics. VERY tempting to do it this year, though...

Jen841
11-18-2009, 05:43 PM
I did them via stamping years ago, handmade.

Last year I did the Vistaprint free 100 postcards deal. I did pay for the photo upload, and B&W writing on the back side.

The P O sells 'Post Card' stamps. I don't know the rate. There is not a selection, but it is generic.

I plan on doing this again this year. I hear the concern about privacy, but I don't want to use the extra paper. For a number of reasons I need to keep things simple this year, and repeating last year is as easy as I can do it right now.

Winkflash does them too. They were more expensive last year when I looked.

Good luck! Vista Print did a good job. The spam and "extras" they offer is annoying, but good deals.

cpapay
11-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Postcards can be mailed for 28 cents each as long as you meet the 6 inches x 4 1/2 inches requirements.

http://postcalc.usps.gov/Postcards.aspx

HTH

carrie

new_mommy25
11-18-2009, 06:32 PM
I have a friend who did her cards out of www.vistaprint.com (http://www.vistaprint.com). It's a good size and can be sent like a postcard.

Come to think of this, you can also do this via Costco. I did my son's bday party invitations that way last year.

I have never done a postcard before, but want to give a thumbs up to Vistaprint. I have used them many times and have always been very pleased with the results. If you can find codes, then their products are almost always free or very inexpensive.