PDA

View Full Version : Please explain Snap Circuits

Bella's Mommy
11-18-2009, 05:09 PM
I feel really silly asking, but would someone please explain snap circuits for me- I've read the item description and I am still confused (I'm sleep deprived...)? Are they something with many little pieces that is going to be a nightmare like legos or do your dc build something and then leave it intact? Thank you for your insightful help in bringing me up to speed!

brittone2
11-18-2009, 05:13 PM
Yes, there are lots of small parts. We have a bigger set so quite a few small parts. On the bright side we keep them in the original box/packaging so it works out fine for us storage-wise.

My DS doesn't usually leave things assembled. We bought the rover kit a few months ago (as an add-on as he's really into robotics and I thought that would be an easier way to feed that interest) and he leaves that assembled (but it is also IMO much less open-ended than the regular sets)

sandybean
11-18-2009, 09:10 PM
I am a teacher, and I :heartbeat: snap circuits. Basically, you have a board and these flat pieces with things on them (a light bulb, a bell, etc.), motors, switches, etc. They have snaps on the ends. You snap them onto this clear plastic board so they are connected to make a circuit that does something-- a radio, rings a bell or lights the bulb, etc.

they're super cool for learning about electricity and circuits...I used them with a fifth grade science class, but I got some for my DS when he was 7-- all loved them.

http://snapcircuits.net

The pieces aren't really as small as legos, and they are easy to put away. My DS takes stuff apart as the pieces are packed by size in the plastic insert in the box. I would say they store much easier than legos. You could leave them together but the beauty is that they can do something different every time.

HTH

Sandy

Bella's Mommy
11-18-2009, 09:42 PM
Thank you this will be perfect for our ds! Though more Q's - I was leaning toward the Deluxe Rover, but is there a better set that will "last" longer and doesn't have directions that are full of errors as I have read in the reviews? What would be the best set for a bright 7 yr who put together the 1000 pc star wars lego set in one 5 hour stretch last weekend ? Thank you!!

sandybean
11-18-2009, 09:48 PM
sounds like my DS!! LOL!

I got him the SC-500...I would go with a larger set because they come with more options for things to build.

brittone2
11-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Thank you this will be perfect for our ds! Though more Q's - I was leaning toward the Deluxe Rover, but is there a better set that will "last" longer and doesn't have directions that are full of errors as I have read in the reviews? What would be the best set for a bright 7 yr who put together the 1000 pc star wars lego set in one 5 hour stretch last weekend ? Thank you!!

We have the 750 project set but we homeschool and I know my 2nd child will use the Snap Circuits eventually.

I have the regular rover and it was fun for DS to put together. He used the diagrams and assembled most of the rover independently (he was about 5.5). The rover mostly has stayed assembled and I don't think it is anywhere near as open-ended as the regular sets. I would start w/ a regular set and then add the rover as a side project if you really want to get it.