PDA

View Full Version : help with nighttime training?

jhrabosk
11-18-2009, 05:18 PM
DD has been potty trained for a year now (she's 4, despite my out-of-date signature). Did well at night at first, then we had a string of bedwetting and I put her back in pullups. We were having some suspicion about sleep apnea anyway (which can contribute to bedwetting), so I figured I'd keep her in pullups until we got that sorted out.

Fast forward to her being dry every morning for a month. So, when we finished the package of pullups last weekend, we didn't buy more. The first 3 nights, we put her on the potty before we went to bed and she stayed dry all night. Last night, we didnt' do it and she wet the bed.

I'm not sure what to do. Sometimes she wakes up to go, sometimes she doesn't, so I don't think it's behavioral. Is it possible that she's really not ready? Any tips, pointers...anything?

Thanks!

brittone2
11-18-2009, 05:23 PM
I think it is very possible she's not physiologically ready.

Both of my kids were waking up dry in the morning after holding all night before they were PT'd during the day. I didn't do anything...they are just wired that way. I think there are other kids that just aren't ready or able to be dry at night until 5 or older. There are some mamas here with BTDT experience and have older kids that are still not dry all night. It isn't all that uncommon.

Mine also almost never, ever wake up in the middle of the night to go, which I think makes it easier. They must have enormous bladder capacities or something ;) Honestly, I think my oldest (5.5) has only had to get out of bed in the middle of the night to pee a handful of times since he started going diaperless at night around age 2-2.5. I think that makes it easier, kwim?

Wife_and_mommy
11-18-2009, 05:54 PM
My DD could stay dry at night from 2yo but didn't daytrain unti 3.5. DS daytrained right at 3yo and at almost 4 is still wetting nightly(he's had 2? dry nights).

My DH has an impossibly small bladder and to this day wakes several times a night to go. He wasn't able to wake at night until very late(age 9 or 10). DH's wetting was not handled well at all so we're consigned to the fact that DS inherited the small bladder.

brittone2
11-18-2009, 05:55 PM
My DD could stay dry at night from 2yo but didn't daytrain unti 3.5. DS daytrained right at 3yo and at almost 4 is still wetting nightly(he's had 2? dry nights).

My DH has an impossibly small bladder and to this day wakes several times a night to go. He wasn't able to wake at night until very late(age 9 or 10). DH's wetting was not handled well at all so we're consigned to the fact that DS inherited the small bladder.

Yeah, I envy my kids as I wake to use the bathroom several times a night. I have always had to go at least once or twice even when not pg.

Wife_and_mommy
11-18-2009, 05:57 PM
Yeah, I envy my kids as I wake to use the bathroom several times a night. I have always had to go at least once or twice even when not pg.

DH feels the same way about DD and me. I can't imagine having the pgy bladder even when not pg!

Indianamom2
11-18-2009, 06:18 PM
If it's any consolation, my DD#1 has been daytime trained since she was 3.5, but still isn't staying dry at night (and I'm honestly not even trying right now) at age 5.

The pedi isn't at all concerned, so neither am I.

I recommend Pampers Underjams though, if that helps!;)

Christina

kbud
11-18-2009, 07:01 PM
I wouldn't worried about it. My dd has been pt for 2 years. She was just shy of 4 when she finally PT. Now she's almost 6 and wakes soaked every morning. She's been trying so hard. For the past 6 months she's been counting and she's had 23 dry pull ups but that's it. Our Dr. wasn't concerned at her 5 year check up. We'll see what he says at her 6 year. I'm not worried though. I know it's not behavioral. I haven't restricted her fluids and she sleeps w/a cup of water in her bed but she truly seems thirsty so I don't want to have her not drink water.

I just hated out growing pullups and going to the under-jam type as they are super expensive.

jhrabosk
11-19-2009, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the replies and support. I had DH pick up another package of pullups last night and let DD decide whether she wanted to wear one...which she did. I think I'll probably look into some cloth though as these are so expensive!

AnnieW625
11-19-2009, 02:37 PM
We are using pull ups at night and I am going to get some more one size pocket Fuzzi Bunz for DD. Last weekend she woke up dry and she's been going potty before bed too, but all this week she has woken up with a wet pull up. I really like the Fuzzi Bunz though and can't wait to get more.

almostamom
11-19-2009, 04:10 PM
If it's any consolation, my DD#1 has been daytime trained since she was 3.5, but still isn't staying dry at night (and I'm honestly not even trying right now) at age 5.

The pedi isn't at all concerned, so neither am I.

I recommend Pampers Underjams though, if that helps!;)

Christina

This exactly (except I have a DS.)

niccig
11-19-2009, 04:28 PM
DS was 4 yo and decided he didn't want pull-ups at night time as they were uncomfortable. We then had about 6 months of several dry nights and then a couple of wet nights. I WANTED to go back to pull-ups, but DS was adamant that he didn't want them. I stuck it out even though I think DS wasn't totally ready. I have a set-up of mattress protectors and a mat that goes on top of the bottom sheet, and often I only needed to change that.

DS is now night-trained. We still have the occasional wet night, but it's rare. I still have all the mattress protectors on the bed. Our pediatrician told me that if DC are in a very deep sleep, they won't wake up to go potty even if normally don't pee at night, so to always expect some accidents.

For you, I think it depends on how DD feels about the accidents. My DS didn't get upset about the accidents, and anytime I mentioned a pull-up, he strongly refused. So, I followed his lead and did what I could to minimize accidents. I also did a lot of laundry some weeks. If DD is OK with going back to pull ups, then put her back in them and try again in 6 months or so. I would have preferred using pull-ups until DS was MUCH older. Our Dr. doesn't worry unless children are 7 or 8 years old.