PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have advice on Italy?

aac
11-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Anyone have any stroller advice for Italy? I just found out that my family is getting moved out there next June for 2 years. I'm in the market for a new stroller now anyway, since I have a 2 yr old and am due with DC2 in early Jan.

I've never been so I don't know much about the sidewalks, trains, roads, safety, etc.

Sounds like we're going to be in Vicenza.

Thanks!

DietCokeLover
11-18-2009, 09:51 PM
Have no stroller advice, but am incredibly jealous of anyone who gets to live in Italy for 2 years! How exciting!

hillview
11-18-2009, 09:59 PM
Have no stroller advice, but am incredibly jealous of anyone who gets to live in Italy for 2 years! How exciting!

:yeahthat:
/hillary

PRmommy
11-18-2009, 10:32 PM
So jealous. I used to visit Vicenza every summer in HS. It's a beautiful city.
No stroller advise.....maybe you'd like to wait til you get there so you can purchase a great European stroller?

aac
11-19-2009, 12:45 AM
thinking I'll need a new stroller before I get there. Plus, I expect that it'll take me a couple of weeks just to settle in and unpack, etc.

I've narrowed it down to the Valco Trimode, P&T Sport, BJCCD, or BJCCM.

I like that the Valco and P&T give me the option of just having one child without the bulkiness of the double, but can add an additional seat for a second child. But is Valco's jump seat a good option for a toddler? Or the kickboard?

and with the P&T I worry about the lack of storage when both children are in the seats and with DH kicking the second seat since he has long legs.

But, based on previous posts, I'm thinking that I need a double. Seems BJCCM won't handle as well as the BJCCD, but is smaller. Is it that much smaller though? and is the larger size of the BJCCD worth the convenience and other amenities? I would also plan on purchasing the child tray for my toddler and the car seat adapter for the infant (we have Graco Snug Ride).

For those of you who have travelled to Italy/Venice area - how are the sidewalks? bumpy/smooth or narrow/wide enough for a double?

Thanks!

Jennifer626
11-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Do you know how to do a board search? I am going to Spain next spring and I did a board search for "stroller for europe" and there were a lot of Italy posts. The consensus was that you will want something with air tires. I ended up buying a Bugaboo. Other than that, can't really help, but good luck in your search!!

tiapam
11-19-2009, 08:21 PM
When does your 2YO turn 3? I have a Chicco Ct0.1 made in Italy. It is a single with a toddler step. You might get away with something like that for a bit, until you see what you really need in a double. It does pretty well on the bumpy sidewalks around here. I can't figure out of they still make it (maybe just for European market??), but there are similar ones out there by Peg Perego, etc.. It might take a few tries for your older child to get the hang of the step, but with practice it gets easier.

HTH.

nfowife
11-20-2009, 02:56 AM
I live in Italy as well, in Naples. You will love it here! Especially where you will be- you are so close to so many travel opportunities. MAKE SURE you visit the factories at Nove for amazing prices on beautiful ceramics!! It's just nearby where you will be. Also Bassano del Grappa is an adorable little town nearby as well.

We have a PT Sport and love it. I really think it is the best of both worlds for being over here. The air tires are a must-have for the streets in Europe because they are all cobblestone and uneven. The flexibility of the PT is great and I like it better than the valco because with 2 kids in it it is easier to steer since the weight isn't over the front wheel like in the Valco. I recommend getting the travel bag too for when you fly, it really protects it and we've had no damage at all and we travel a ton. I love the option of having a single or double depending on where we go. We're at the point now that we only use it for trips but we used it everyday when we first moved here. I can't say enough great things about the Phil and Ted's. PM me if you have any questions I can answer!
Ciao!

jacksmoma
11-20-2009, 12:41 PM
from my understanding a double wide would be pretty huge for tiny italian streets...i would bring a single and sling and wait to get a double till you get there and see what everyone there has that works for italy :) by the way, so jealous!