PDA

View Full Version : Update on DS and many thanks again

DeeEast
11-19-2009, 04:12 AM
At Children's today, DS's hemoglobin was slightly up (good) but not back to normal yet. We won't have his reticulocyte count (new red blood cells that indicate his bone marrow is working correctly) until tomorrow but the Dr. said that from looking at the slides of the blood sample, it looked like they were down (not good).

The Dr. is still confident that it is transient erythroblastopenia of childhood (tec) and that DS is going to recover completely very soon, as in the next few weeks. We will continue to get his blood count taken every week or so until it goes up on its own. Bottom line right now is that MDS (pediatric myelodyspastic syndrome) will not be off of the table as a possible diagnosis until DS spontaneously gets better and they can diagnose TEC in retrospect. If the hemoglobin goes down or if it doesn't go up between now and the next two months (approximately by the third week of January 2010) then the Dr. will probably do another bone marrow aspiration and biopsy, along with further blood tests.

We are in the midst of arranging for a second opinion at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, hematology department. From what I have learned, Children's Philadelphia was recently ranked the #2 overall Children's Hospital in the U.S. and their oncology department is #1 in the U.S. I signed the forms for the release of the records and spoke to DS's hematologist about it. Our doctor was more than happy to provide copies of all of the records, reports, and slides, along with a cover letter explaining the situation and an email to the consulting doctor. Hopefully the second opinion will be sooner rather than later but Philadelphia can't schedule the appointment until they receive the records.

Thanks everyone for their concern and prayers. We are going to need them in the coming weeks, over the holidays especially. Also thanks to the poster that pointed me to CaringBridge.com. That has been a God-send. Also thanks to the posters that encouraged me to get a second opinion. The thought of bringing it up to our hematologist was bothering me but it ended up not being a problem.

Today had the added benefit of me making the special effort to stop quickly at the Apple store to get my Ipod Nano fixed. The volume has not worked for weeks and being without my music, especially at this time, has been driving me crazy. Only to find out that my frigging Wal-Mart earphones are defective. Not a thing wrong with my Ipod. D'oh!

mommy111
11-19-2009, 05:06 AM
:cheerleader1::cheerleader1::cheerleader1:
Great news, so happy for you and your family

Globetrotter
11-19-2009, 05:08 AM
I'm glad it's looking good and hope it does resolve soon so you can go back to your life!!

ThreeofUs
11-19-2009, 06:08 AM
Glad you're feeling better, and that you're getting that 2nd opinion. Best of luck to you and your DS.

MoJo
11-19-2009, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the update; I'll continue to pray and hope it's TEC. You sound like you're handling it better.

jayali
11-19-2009, 06:39 AM
You sound so much better - I am glad that you are feeling somewhat relieved. I know until your son is better you won't feel 100%, but congrats on where you are right now. You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

infomama
11-19-2009, 07:14 AM
I remember your wee morning hours posts. I am SO thankful of this wonderful news. :bouncy:I hope you have been able to get some rest.

klwa
11-19-2009, 07:22 AM
Continuing to pray, btu glad things are looking a bit better.

Melarina
11-19-2009, 07:30 AM
praying for you and your family!

JTsMom
11-19-2009, 08:01 AM
:hug: You're getting there! Thinking of you guys.

egoldber
11-19-2009, 08:17 AM
I hope you continue to get good news. :hug:

TwinFoxes
11-19-2009, 08:55 AM
Hang in there! I'm glad the news is good about DS. (and iphone too!) :)

amandabea
11-19-2009, 09:09 AM
:hug: continuing to keep you and your DS in my thoughts.

Snow mom
11-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Glad to hear you have a second opinion in process and that your doctor was so behind it. Keeping your DS in my thoughts for some good news soon.

WitMom
11-19-2009, 09:51 AM
Keeping my fingers crossed that things continue to go in the right direction. I hope you are able to put this behind you soon and enjoy the upcoming holidays!

Jen841
11-19-2009, 09:58 AM
I am sure you are in good hands, but I have to say Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is great. I do laugh at people referring to it as CHOP, sounds like a horror film title.

We have a satelite office locally, and my son is scheduled for his second ear surgery there on 12/2. Their ENT department has been wonderful to deal with over the last year. I can't say I enjoyed 6 hours in their surgical waiting area, but appreciate the care my son gets there. We have dealt with their urology appt too (hernia.)

At the advise of our local Dr's we did not seek a second opinion since our CHOP ENT is so well respected here, but I did ask a lot if I needed a second opinion.

BabyMine
11-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Thank you for the update. I have been wondering but I didn't want to pry. I think it is wonderful that you are getting a second opinion. I am still praying for TEC and that it resolves soon.:grouphug:

hollybloom24
11-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Hugs and prayers!

jse107
11-19-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm glad to hear you've got a plan for a second opinion--if nothing else, it will at least ease your mind that your have the best people working on your son!

I am one of the posters who suggested CaringBridge--I'm so glad it's been helpful for you. Do you have the website? If you share it here, we can all send you postive messages and stay updated too!