PDA

View Full Version : Need gift for Grandma $100/200/300?

Jen841
11-19-2009, 10:04 AM
We need bday gift for Grandma, then will need a Christmas gift too. She is someone with everything. She comes here a lot, and now with Grandpa since he is retired.

If just from us, $100. Add in my brother, $200 and heck Dad needs an idea too so we can increase the pool to $300.

We have done jewelry, gift cards, hand bags, digital camera, shows, travel stuff, professional pictures...

I get disgusted at the material things she has, she has Vera Bradley, Tiffanys,...

The kids have given her Crocs, art work,...

She likes to read, but used the library and her bookclub for books. She is not a candidate for a Kindle or netbook.

Considering an iPod, then for Christmas we could add to it with a stereo for the two of them for Christmas. Is that lame?

Dad is just as hard to buy for!

SnuggleBuggles
11-19-2009, 01:31 PM
We always buy my parents tickets to things. My siblings and I go in and buy them a subscription to the symphony and they love it. There comes a point where there is just too much stuff and it's nice to mix things up a bit. :)

I like the iPod though, if you think she would be interested.

Beth

karenj2
11-19-2009, 02:15 PM
The Christmas before my Grandma died, her sons pooled in and got her a nice digital photo frame, and then the whole family supplied pictures for it (10 -20 each.) She LOVED it (after she got over the confusion about the picture changing on her...)

Other things we've given her are:
- Flower of the month club
- Taking her somewhere (for us, the Philly Flower show when she was more mobile)
- High Tea with her grandkids (my age)
- When she still knit/wove, we went in on a yarn buying trip (with lunch). She likes the high end wools, so it ended up costing us around $100 between the three of us.

My grandmom would rather have an experience or something homemade more than a name-brand item, so YMMV.

TwinFoxes
11-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Does she have a computer? We are getting MIL a new monitor, hers is tiny.

Maybe arrange to have something done around the house that she's been putting off?

Does she drive? GPS system might be good. Or maybe get her car detailed?

srhs
11-19-2009, 02:35 PM
The Christmas before my Grandma died, her sons pooled in and got her a nice digital photo frame, and then the whole family supplied pictures for it (10 -20 each.) She LOVED it (after she got over the confusion about the picture changing on her...)

I thought digital frame too. Does she already have one? Also, "experience" gifts sound appropriate--cooking classes (the fancy ones), etc.