PDA

View Full Version : area rug size?

soontobe
11-19-2009, 10:26 AM
how do I know how big of an area rug I need to get? I read some where there needs to be some space at the sides?..........

thanks!

sste
11-19-2009, 12:22 PM
If you are between sizes go bigger. Many rooms look better when the rug is partially under at least some of the furniture rather than floating in an "island" in the middle. You can also use painter's tape to outline the rug size you are contemplating in the room and see how it looks before you buy the rug.

TwinFoxes
11-19-2009, 12:26 PM
You can also use painter's tape to outline the rug size you are contemplating in the room and see how it looks before you buy the rug.

That's a great idea! I've been trying to figure out what size rug to buy. I never thought to do this!

khalloc
11-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Whats the rug for? Under a dining table? or for a living room? There are definite rules about dining tables. I believe you want an extra 24" on each side of the table to have room to pull chairs out and such,

soontobe
11-19-2009, 01:10 PM
it is for the living room by the couches-any hard and fast rules for that? our couches are in a L shape and the space it makes is exactly 5x7-is that the size I should get or should we go bigger or smaller for some reason?

thanks!!!

p.s-some of the rugs I've looked at say the material is "jute" what is that?

Penny's Pappa
11-19-2009, 02:19 PM
I'm no interior decorator by any stretch, but we have an 80" long couch and we're using a 5'x7' rung underneath it. Looks great. And by underneath, I mean we just have the front legs of the couch on the rug not the whole couch.

'Course it might depend on the layout and proportions of your living room. What works in one situation may not work in another. I'd map it out with tape or something if you can.

Oh and for jute:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=jute
(and I mean no offense by that!)

:D

khalloc
11-19-2009, 02:36 PM
I would go for 8x10. You want to have about an foot or so of the rug under each side of the couch to "anchor" it. a 5x7 would be too small.

erosenst
11-19-2009, 04:11 PM
I would go for 8x10. You want to have about an foot or so of the rug under each side of the couch to "anchor" it. a 5x7 would be too small.:yeahthat: