PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen TV with no cable line

AJP
11-19-2009, 11:34 AM
We don't have a cable outlet in the kitchen. Does anyone know of any small tv (drop down or flat screen) that would get any channels without being hooked up to a box or cable line? We have Verizon Fios and we need a box for each tv that we watch. I don't care for any of the premium channels....just getting a signal for local ones is really my goal. I'd love to watch the am & pm news while cooking since I feel so out of touch with the world. Our tv in the family room next door is mounted facing away from the kitchen so theres no way I can see it.
Thanks!

TwinFoxes
11-19-2009, 12:10 PM
Because the signals are digital now, you either have to have cable/satellite, or a converter box. You can't get stations "over the air" any more.

khm
11-19-2009, 12:15 PM
New TVs have built-in tuners for the new signal. The TV we bought way back in 2007 already had it built-in. When Directv goes out, we switch to it. We did need to plug in an "antenna". (We actually just plugged a coax cable into the antenna slot, it just hangs down with the other cords - unplugged on the other end. But, if it isn't plugged into the slot, it won't work.)

Just look for it to say "built-in ATSC digital TV tuner" like this one
http://www.amazon.com/Audiovox-VE927-9-Inch-Drop-Down-Built/dp/B000OD05U8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1258647133&sr=8-1

TwinFoxes
11-19-2009, 12:18 PM
New TVs have built-in tuners for the new signal. The TV we bought way back in 2007 already had it built-in. When Directv goes out, we switch to it. We did need to plug in an "antenna". (We actually just plugged a coax cable into the antenna slot, it just hangs down with the other cords - unplugged on the other end. But, if it isn't plugged into the slot, it won't work.)

Just look for it to say "built-in ATSC digital TV tuner" like this one
http://www.amazon.com/Audiovox-VE927-9-Inch-Drop-Down-Built/dp/B000OD05U8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1258647133&sr=8-1
You know somehow I missed the part in OPs post that she wanted a new TV...for some reason I read it as she was trying to figure out how to get her TV to work. :o Ignore me please...I'm sleep deprived and fighting a virus.

jgenie
11-19-2009, 02:59 PM
We have the same set up in our kitchen and the same provider. We bought a 13 inch Samsung TV and had it mounted to the wall. We get a handful of channels. It's great for cleaning the kitchen. :)

updacountry
11-20-2009, 11:53 AM
We have the same set up in our kitchen and the same provider. We bought a 13 inch Samsung TV and had it mounted to the wall. We get a handful of channels. It's great for cleaning the kitchen. :)

Same boat here, which model did you get. I live in a valley though so I doubt that I would get any reception.

AJP
11-20-2009, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I feel iffy about the Audiovox one at Amazon b/c of several bad reviews but I really wanted this kind of flip down. I may just look into the samsung after the holidays. I'm concerned that I'll get no stations....our 2 other new tv's (with built tin digital tuners) got no reception while we were waiting for the fios hookup. I'll let you all know how it works out!

khm
11-20-2009, 09:02 PM
I have these (http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Transmitter-Receiver-Infrared-Extender/dp/B000GJKV9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1258765017&sr=8-1) A/V sender/receiver. The "sending" TV is our DVR one, we typically receive either in the bedroom or in the exercise room (I just move the receiver).

I know there are other brands, but I can vouch that this one works. As done the x10 one (a friend has that one).

It might be kind of clunky for the tiny kitchen TV, but if the built-in receivers do not work....

Do you have antenna's on the other TVs. Ours did not work either, until I plugged in the coax cable to nowhere, to act as an antenna.... For the basement TV, we have to run the coax up the wall a bit when we need to use over-air.

jgenie
12-08-2009, 10:45 AM
Same boat here, which model did you get. I live in a valley though so I doubt that I would get any reception.

Finally found the receipt - we have the Samsung LN32A330 - I think that's the 32 inch but we have a 13 inch in the kitchen.