PDA

View Full Version : "free wheel" mech on pushbar trikes a good idea or not?

bugglemom
11-19-2009, 12:21 PM
I am about to purchase a push bar tricycle for my 2 year old but I am confused about one thing. I have read reviews of the kettlers and the radio flyer that point out that the "free wheel" mechanisms have pros and cons.

pros: the child can coast (or pedal) while being pushed, easy for parent to steer

cons: it keeps the child from learning to really pedal because the pedalling or coasting while being pushed does not relate to the movement of the bike so they dont make that connection about what to do, AND when they finally use the bike on their own, there are no breaks....

Some of the lower priced kettlers have the old style pushbar mechanism, where the pedals go around all the time while the parent pushes. That eliminates the concerns above, but brings up others: parent cant really steer it, and a lazy little guy could get his feet all tabgled up in the moving pedals

For those who know, what are your thoughts? thanks!

bluestar2
11-19-2009, 02:51 PM
At 2 yo, I wouldn't worry about getting the free wheel option too much.

jent
11-19-2009, 03:06 PM
I agree. We got the cheaper Kettler for that reason. Actually, I wanted to hide the pushbar (b/c we had another push toy) so that DD would get the idea that the trike should be self-propelled. But DH set it up when he was home with DD with the pushbar, and so that's how it's stayed. We do the lift-the-wheel-up thing too when we are walking & it works too (though DH finds it really annoying to do this).

I guess it depends if you just want the trike for your child to play with & learn to pedal, or if you will be taking it for walks very often.

bugglemom
11-19-2009, 04:20 PM
I could see myself using it both ways if I could......My little guy would love to be pushed on one of these, but I dont want to have to get another trike in 6 months if the free wheel versions are not great for independent riding.....did anyone have trouble with their dc dangling their feet and getting caught in the turning pedals on one that didnt have the coasting option??

arivecchi
11-19-2009, 04:29 PM
We have the Radio Flyer one with pushbar. The pedals do not turn if the parent is pushing. I think that feature is key. I would have been worried about DS getting tangled up if the pedals kept moving while I pushed. DS enjoyed being pushed around but naturally started to pedal around 2.5 yo. It only took him a couple of days. I don't think using the pushbar in any way prevents them from learning to pedal. GL.

GaPeach_in_Ca
11-19-2009, 06:15 PM
did anyone have trouble with their dc dangling their feet and getting caught in the turning pedals on one that didnt have the coasting option??

We actually have the free wheel/coasting option and my son still gets his feet between the pedal and wheel at times. I think it's because it's still a bit of a reach to keep his feet on the pedals all of the time (he's just 18 months and 42% for height).

My older son learned to ride on this same trike and he was pedalling by 2-1/2 or so, so it didn't seem to delay him.