PDA

View Full Version : Gift for young woman about to start teaching?

nrp
11-19-2009, 12:58 PM
This is a spin-off of another thread I started about a gift for DH's cousin, but based on some of the useful responses, I thought a new title with my more specific requirement would be useful. She is 22 and is going to start student teaching in the spring. I'm looking to spend aroudn $35 or $40. What would be nice/useful for a new teacher? I already gave her a cute VB lunchbag last year, that she told me she uses.

BabyMine
11-19-2009, 12:59 PM
We gotmy sister a really nice big tote bag. What grade is she teaching?

schums
11-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Tanquilizer gun?
Engraved flask for her choice of adult beverage?
Cattle prod?

Just kidding! Can you tell I'm SOOOOO not cut out to be a teacher? :)

How about a GC to a teacher supply store? I agree that nice tote would be a great idea. Maybe a nice "grown up" planner, if she doesn't have a PDA/smartphone.

ETA: A nice water bottle (Sigg, or something similar) would be a great gift too. The student teachers at DC's elementary school were surprised at how much talking they actually did. Water bottle showed up in droves after about the second week.

elizabethkott
11-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Tranquilizer gun?
Engraved flask for her choice of adult beverage?
Cattle prod?

Just kidding! Can you tell I'm SOOOOO not cut out to be a teacher? :)

I *AM* a teacher and all these are good ideas!!!!!! I'd just add "tazer" to the list...

In all seriousness, a good planner is an excellent idea. I have a fantastic red leather refillable one my SIL gave me for Christmas years ago and I still use it! It's from filofax. I like that there are month views as well as a whole week spread out on two pages. It's awesome!
Another vote for a good, reuseable water bottle.
We all have to wear faculty name tags for security reasons in my district - a "pretty" lanyard for her to wear around her neck for her new tag might be good... a club did a beaded lanyard fundraiser a few years back, and they went like hotcakes!
GC to Staples! I could seriously spend all day in there and be perfectly happy among the post-it flags, pens, folders and other neat school-related stuff!!!!

MoJo
11-19-2009, 01:31 PM
I don't know how it will be for her, but student teaching was the one and only time DH wasn't allowed to work any outside job during his schooling. That made money super tight for those several months. He would have really appreciated a gas card (to help him get to and from school), a fast food or Starbucks-type card (because those luxuries went right out the window at the time they were "needed" most) or even a grocery gift card (depending on her living and financial arrangements.) He still had to pay full tuition for the privilege of volunteering full time for that entire semester. Most of my college friends were education majors and were forced to move back in with their parents for student teaching for all of these reasons. (But still needed gas and food money, unless their parents were providing that.)

If she doesn't already have one, a bookbag or briefcase-style tote (DH wanted a different kind to take to his job than the type he took to college classes) to transport books and papers, perhaps to take her portfolio and resumes to the job interviews she will be having later this spring.

If you look at the planner/organizer, you might ask her what she prefers or get a GC to a place that sells them. My DH couldn't live without one, but he's super picky about them. Also, many schools around here have "agendas" and I think DH's student teaching school gave him a grade book for that time, so her needs may vary.

I don't think DH spent any money on "school supplies" during student teaching, because the primary teacher took care of that, so if you give a Staples type card, it may be used for resume paper and portfolio supplies rather than classroom supplies. He would have eventually used a card to the teacher supply store, but not until he had his first real teaching job (Hopefully, in August for your DH's cousin).

roobee
11-19-2009, 01:36 PM
everyone has way better, more practical ideas - but I just wanted to share what a friend purchased for a new teacher... an engraved ipod that said "an apple for teacher". I just think that is so cute :) They have shuffles at apple.com for $59 with free engraving.

srhs
11-19-2009, 01:39 PM
Do you live near the school where she'll be student teaching? At mine, teachers could only wear jeans on Fridays IF they were in school spirit shirts. So, maybe a tshirt with that school's name? I never wanted to spend my own limited money on one (you're only there 1 semester), but I definitely would've worn one if I'd had it.