PDA

View Full Version : H1N1 ?'s- should I still vax?

LarsMal
11-19-2009, 01:52 PM
I feel like I've been living in a bubble the last couple weeks!

H1N1 shots are now available at our ped for 6-35 month olds. I can get DDs in for the shots, but now I'm wondering if I still should. I feel like I haven't heard much about it lately. It was going around like crazy here a few weeks ago, but it seems like it's all calmed down. Or is it just that people aren't talking about it as much anymore?

Would you still vax now? I'm afraid if I don't it will come back strong during regular flu season and then I'll be regretting it.

Oh...what to do?!?!?!?

infomama
11-19-2009, 01:55 PM
I am (vaxing that is)..we have a long winter ahead of us.

citymama
11-19-2009, 02:00 PM
I would definitely vax. Flu season has only just begun and there are still vaccine shortages nation-wide. I'm trying to track down a booster shot for my DD who should be getting one this week!

karenj2
11-19-2009, 02:06 PM
I just made that decision for myself (being pregnant)... As others have said, you don't know if there will be a shortage later, and we're heading into cold & flu season.

If I had gotten pregnant at any other time of year, I wouldn't have gotten it, but I'll be in my 3rd trimester from December - March, and I almost ALWAYS get a cold around Christmas. As much as I don't like the unknowns (and the fears) around the vaccine for H1N1, I feel that for my piece of mind, I have to get it...

I'd get it for your kids, too.

schums
11-19-2009, 02:06 PM
Having just had H1N1 (we think), I'm definitely getting the kids (and me) vaxed as soon as we can. It's still hard to find vaccines here. I've been the sickest I've been in 21 years the last 2 weeks -- not putting DC through that if I can avoid it!

LarsMal
11-19-2009, 02:45 PM
I just called the office and they said to come by right now and the girls can get them, so i guess we're going to get shots now!

poppy
11-19-2009, 02:49 PM
My ped, who is Dr. Bob Sears of the vaccination books, (I only mention him, not to name drop, but I know a lot of ppl here highly regard his advice) advised me not to get either flu or H1N1 to my DS unless I wanted to.
Ultimately my choice, but he said he wouldn't.

LarsMal
11-19-2009, 04:39 PM
My ped, who is Dr. Bob Sears of the vaccination books, (I only mention him, not to name drop, but I know a lot of ppl here highly regard his advice) advised me not to get either flu or H1N1 to my DS unless I wanted to.
Ultimately my choice, but he said he wouldn't.

Ugh...oh well, too late now! We just got back. Both girls got it (DS can't because of his egg allergy). They were tough little chickies and didn't bat an eye. I made sure they were preservative free, which they were. Who knows if boosters will be available.

Did he say why not?