PDA

View Full Version : Weird PP Birth Control Question

Indianamom2
11-19-2009, 04:28 PM
I was prescribed the mini pill about a month ago, since I'm BF'ing. I just haven't bothered to start taking it yet. Well, when the OB wrote the Rx she said to call her if I had a period while on it.

Well, yesterday (of all days, with a solid day of nothing but stressful doctor appts.) my first PP period decided to make it's appearance. It's not heavy or bad, but now I don't know whether to start taking the pill, call the OB or what.

So I kind of wonder, if I start taking it, let's say after this period ends, will it prevent other periods from starting or how will that work? I guess if at all possible, I'd prefer to avoid scheduling my period for when we will be travelling for Christmas.

Did that make any sense? LOL...I've got a lovely hormonal headache.

Christina

AnnieW625
11-19-2009, 04:39 PM
I started the mini pill about 8 weeks post partum. I was actually so paranoid about getting pregnant that I told my doctor I wanted my regular pill back. That was stupid as it dried up my milk supply a lot and DD was not happy with me. I got my period back at the end of the first cycle. I would start taking it you want, but only you knows your body's cycle.

I was not one of those lucky people to not get a period the entire time I was BFing (just shy of 4 mos I stopped), but have a friend not lying who hasn't had a period since 2004 when she was 23! She is prego with number 3 and EBF her 1st until 2/1/2, and immediately got pregnant with #2, and now with #2 just shy of 2 and has gotten pregnant w #3. She'll most likely EBF #3 until 2 also and if they aren't done having kids after this one (I think they are though) she could not have another period until she is 33 if her luck continues and she EBF FK4 until 2! Even if she does EBF #3 until it is 2 she will have gone 8 yrs. w/out a period. Amazing.

soontobe
11-19-2009, 04:42 PM
just thought I should mention that EBF IS NOT reliable birth control!!! (even if you haven't gotten your period-you ovulate before you menstruate)

Indianamom2
11-19-2009, 05:12 PM
Yes, I do know EBF isn't birth control. Trust me, I'm not using that as birth control. I have no intention of getting pregnant any time soon!
:love-retry:

SnuggleBuggles
11-19-2009, 05:15 PM
I started the mini-pill before I got AF back. For me, it wasn't the same as the regular pill with regards to regulating my period. I don't think there are any dummy pills in there, they all have the hormones iirc (it's been 7y). My cycles aren't the most reliable things in the world so maybe others would be regular on it as influenced by the mini pill.

Beth