PDA

View Full Version : Lots of birthday party "etiquette" questions

WitMom
11-19-2009, 07:36 PM
We are in the process of planning DD1's birthday party. We will be having it at Build-A-Bear, followed by decorated cookies from the mall cookie place in the food court. I know some parents will probably stay and some will drop off. Either way is fine. My question is, if they stay, I would like to be able to offer them a cookie as well. If we have 8 girls attending, do you think 16 cookies would be enough? That would be one cookie per girl and would allow for one parent per child. Does that sound reasonable?

Second question: What is the prevailing opinion on opening gifts at the party? I would prefer not to. I think we may be running short of time, and given we are at the mall food court, it would just be easier to do it at home later. Is this okay?

Finally, when the parents ask for gift ideas, it is appropriate to say "she loves A, B, C, but we tend to shy away from (Bratz dolls, Hannah Montana, whatever)"? Or just offer some suggestions and leave it at that.

ett
11-19-2009, 08:18 PM
16 cookies should be enough. I don't think there would be more than 1 parent staying per child.

Presents have not been opened at most of the parties we have attended.

When asked for gift suggestions I just say what the kids like. I don't say what we don't like because I wouldn't want to offend them if there kids are into those things.

Twoboos
11-19-2009, 08:19 PM
16 cookies should be enough. I don't think there would be more than 1 parent staying per child.

Presents have not been opened at most of the parties we have attended.

When asked for gift suggestions I just say what the kids like. I don't say what we don't like because I wouldn't want to offend them if there kids are into those things.

:yeahthat: my thoughts exactly!

LMPC
11-19-2009, 08:23 PM
DItto what the PP's have said. Sounds like a fun party -- enjoy it!!

mom2binsd
11-19-2009, 10:11 PM
All of the parties my DD has gone to in the last two years (ages 4-6) they have always opened presents, and we have opened at ours...this seems to vary from place to place, maybe find out what other kids are used to in your area.....we open gifts in a calm manner, we had the guest bring the gift up to DD and I took their picture together which I included in the thank you car. Growing up we always opened gifts, it was always fun to see what was in the packages!

SnuggleBuggles
11-19-2009, 11:16 PM
1. 1 cookie each
2. I really am a big, big fan of opening gifts at the party. I and my ds are very disappointed when they are not opened at the party. He puts time and effort into picking out the gift and wants to see their reaction right when they open it. Build a Bear does a nice job organizing gift opening and it is not a chaotic gift grab. They will factor it in to the time of the party. It's easy.
3. I just give ideas for favorites and hope for the best.

Beth