PDA

View Full Version : Merrell Jungle Mocs- Nubuck or Leather?

toby
11-19-2009, 08:40 PM
I am wondering if the Nubuck still looks o.k. after it has been wet and gotten a little dirty or if I should go with the leather...

jent
11-19-2009, 08:55 PM
Mine (they must be about 3-4 years old) still look ok. They are the dark gunmetal though.

Andi98989
11-19-2009, 09:33 PM
the nubuck holds up really well; and you can waterproof it for added protection. We got a little dry cleaning block to use to clean any spots off of DH's pair.

toby
11-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Have both of yours been worn in the snow and wet? I have heard that they are semi-waterproof.

What is a dry cleaning block?

Thanks!

SammyeGail
11-22-2009, 01:27 PM
I have leather, they are a bit big on me, I wore them during my pregnancy so now I have to wear thick socks with them ;).

They look wonderful, I use leather conditioner, etc. Mine are a dark brown.

I've never had nubuck, but DH has a pair, they look close to new, but have a gortex liner, very warm so he doesn't wear them very often. My sister had a friends that worked at Merrell so we got a deal. I don't know if they have ever gotten wet. I think his are the gunmental, a dark color.

I personally would recommend leather, but if you want nubuck I would suggest a darker color, things don't show up as much ;).

I myself don't know what a dry cleaning block is, but I have bought a suede cleaning kit, I've used the eraser (looks like a white eraser) and a small hard brissle brush. Its helped alot on DSs shoes that I clean up well before re-selling.

Good luck!!

jent
11-22-2009, 02:28 PM
Have both of yours been worn in the snow and wet? I have heard that they are semi-waterproof.

I've been through snow, slush, and mud with them. IIRC I did originally put some water-proofing stuff on them. They don't look perfect, but they do look fine, esp for my purposes. Incidentally, DH has 2 pairs of Merrells-- one pair is newer and he calls them "my good ones," and makes a point of wearing the "good" ones to work (DH is a very casual guy) and the others for doing yardwork, etc. They look the same to me; I honestly have no idea which is which when I see them.

WatchingThemGrow
11-22-2009, 03:47 PM
I have two pairs of the lighter primo chill and jungle mocs. They look fine. Granted, I don't live in the frozen tundra or anything, but they seem to hold up well. I personally like the nubuck more. You can get any old shoe in leather, so I like to change it up.

Maybe, I'll grab myself a new pair of black ones while I'm out today - the primo chill slide in new black has been on my list for prob. 3 years. Today, I deserve them.