PDA

View Full Version : Any advice re. glasses for DS?

Melbel
11-19-2009, 10:45 PM
We learned today that our 9 year old DS needs glasses, so we need to pick out some frames. For now, he will only need to wear them in class. Any BTDT advice re. frame and lens options? Is it better to go the cheap route knowing he will probably lose or trash them anyway? TIA!

michellerw
11-19-2009, 10:54 PM
I was once a kid that age who wore glasses. The thing about glasses is that the frames aren't the pricey part -- the lenses are. So I suggest paying for the kid proof ones, where the arms will bend backwards and if he steps on them the screws will pop out. And buy the extended warranty!

DH and I still spring for the better made frames because our lenses are over $100 each (high index lenses) and it makes sense to "insure" that purchase with good frames.

egoldber
11-19-2009, 11:05 PM
We get Sarah's at Lenscrafters. The price is good and they have lots of locations. She has broken one pair (that they replaced for free) and they adjust them for free. We've been very pleased.

sansdieu
11-19-2009, 11:16 PM
I just got DD's glasses (she's 2). We've tried lots of places (LensCrafters, Target, Costc, etc.), and nobody had frames that were as small as she needed them to be. Sure they can adjust the earpieces somewhat, but I didn't want her to have frames that took up half her face.

We ended up going to the optometrist who specialized in children under 3 -- he had a huge selection of frames, from which to choose.

Now, if I could only convince her to wear them...

NewfieNat
11-19-2009, 11:23 PM
I'd get a brand that has a no-questions asked lifetime/as long as they fit warranty. I know Oio (Eschenbach) and Pez both have this. DD has Oio and we've used the warranty twice already, both times were her fault.

Also, ask to have the frame locked. DD just lost a lens and we are out $85 and a week without glasses. They said locking the joints will prevent this, if only they had told me earlier!

Finally, go to a place nearby if you can. Adjustment trips can be few and far between OR, they could be every week. Sigh. I'm so sick of eye troubles.

Gena
11-19-2009, 11:24 PM
DS has been wearing glasses full time since he was 2, so we faced some issues you won't have to deal with (like teaching an active toddler how to wear glasses).

He has some complex vision issues (due to albinism) and is completely dependant on his glasses, so we do make sure they are high quality. We get frames with spring hinges (I get this type for myself too). And we get the extra warranty. In the past we tried frames with flexible memory metal, but I was really disappointed by how easily they got bent and they never seemed to go back to their original shape that well. Polycarbonate lenses are a must for kids. They are highly impact reisistant and protect the eyes from UV rays. My DS has a very strong prescription; he is very farsighted with an extremely astigmatism. So he gets aspheric polycarbonate lenses to make them thinner and lighter. DS is very sensitive to sunlight, so he gets Transitions lenses that darken in the sunlight.

We have had the best experiences going to a small independant optical shop that specializes in children's glasses. Recently, we made the mistake of trying a department store optical shop instead, thinking it would save us money (they had a package for children's glasses). The glasses fom there were very poorly made. Plus the charged us extra due to DS's high prescription. Then they made the lenses with regular polycarbonate. The lenses were so thick that they pushed the nosepads out of position. We were extemely disappointed. We ended up retuning those glasses to store and went back to our regular children's optical shop.

Melbel
11-20-2009, 09:39 PM
Thanks so much for the advice! Hopefully, we will find frames we all like!