PDA

View Full Version : Reproductive Woes...

dukie41181
11-19-2009, 11:07 PM
Maybe this is a bitch...sorry if its in the wrong place...

My husband and I had a difficult time conceiving our daughter but with medical assitance, we did. Part of the problem was that I didn't have regular periods which also meant that I didn't ovulate. After our daughter was born, my cycles eventually returned (around 3 months later) but now they seem to have went away again, so returned to previous status. I am just so sad! Although we aren't ready for another child yet, the thought that we may face the same challenges again is just devastating to me. I just want to be able to conceive like the majority of others!

Hopefully my period of self-pity will end soon! Honestly, I don't think it helped that my sister just announced her 2nd pregnancy last month. It just seems everything comes easy for her and I have to work so darn hard! Argh!

SnuggleBuggles
11-19-2009, 11:12 PM
((((hugs))))

I have polycystic ovarian syndrome- identified by bloodwork and an u/s, and it has at points in my life caused irregular cycles. Is there anything like that that could be the cause? If so, maybe there's something that could help? Things really could be different this time. It took 2 years and 2 rounds of Clomid for ds1 but ds2 was conceived in 2 months. I really think the PCOS ebbs and flows for me.

Good luck!

Beth

cindys
11-20-2009, 12:02 AM
I am so sorry...I can hear your sadness in your story...I pray when you are ready for another baby that things are much easier for you this time.

It took us 6 yrs of treatments and thousands of $'s to get our 2 boys..

I had no difficulty conceiving my 1st boy but I was younger..I found trying to conceive once I got older was very difficult...

As stressful and frustrating as things were none of it mattered once the babies were here..

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...18, 3 & 1 :heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

lilycat88
11-20-2009, 12:19 AM
I hear you. I have never been able to conceive naturally, have a normal pregnancy or a relatively "normal" birth. I have irregular cycles due to PCOS, was diagnosed with Asherman's Syndrome this past February and had 2 surgeries. I'm about 8 weeks pregnant now with a high risk pregnancy with greatly increased chances of 2nd trimester miscarriage, placenta issues and I'm looking at a cerclage in another month. Then I'm looking at an early c-section delivery to hopefully avoid me going into labor. I did this whole thing with my daughter 5 years ago.

Don't get me wrong. I'm thrilled with being pregnant but SERIOUSLY...why does it have to be so hard. My thoughts are with you and hope things work out as you want.

MelissaTC
11-20-2009, 12:33 AM
I too have PCOS and needed assistance in conceiving DS. Tried for #2 for a year assisted. I completely understand your frustration and wish you all the best.

elliput
11-20-2009, 02:08 AM
Just :hug::hug::hug: I hope you end up being pleasantly surprised by an easy conception.

citymama
11-20-2009, 02:38 AM
Just :hug::hug::hug: I hope you end up being pleasantly surprised by an easy conception.

:yeahthat: !!!! Hope the missed periods aren't an indication of anything related to your fertility and that you get pregnant when you are ready for a second! All the best. :hug:

dukie41181
11-20-2009, 04:52 PM
Thanks ladies! I kinda feel like just starting to try unassisted now because I am pretty darn certain nothing will happen naturally. My husband actually kinda brought it up yesterday saying something like "we don't want to wait too long because as we get older we may have a harder time." Geez, I was kinda thinking that too but we are only pushing 30! Thirty isn't that old, right?! :wink2:

brittone2
11-20-2009, 05:14 PM
I have PCOS and irregular/virtually absent cycles without metformin and a lower carb way of eating (I'm not overweight, but my body responds well to minimizing insulin spikes).

With my DS, I did clomid and clomid plus metformin (1500mg) without success...couldn't even ovluate on clomid let alone get pg. We moved onto injectables/IUI and got pregnant after one cancelled cycle.

I went on metformin at a higher dose (2000 mg) when DS turned 2 (I was still nursing). I wanted to see if a higher dose for a longer period of time would get me ovulating. 3 months into the met, no period...I was frustrated. I had to induce a period with prometrium, and only tested because I "should" before inducing a period. It came up with 2 lines...I had no idea. Never got a warning cycle that it was working, etc. DD is now almost 3.

I stayed on metformin during and after that pregnancy. Had some irregular cycles (but they were cycles, which I wasn't having before). Ended up pg again.

It can happen :hug5: I hope it goes smoothly for you and that you'll be pg again very soon with or without intervention.

brgnmom
11-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Thanks ladies! I kinda feel like just starting to try unassisted now because I am pretty darn certain nothing will happen naturally. My husband actually kinda brought it up yesterday saying something like "we don't want to wait too long because as we get older we may have a harder time." Geez, I was kinda thinking that too but we are only pushing 30! Thirty isn't that old, right?! :wink2:

30 is not old. :) I'm 30 (just turned 30 earlier this year) and my Dh and I are just starting to feel ready to start for our second child. I hope that you have an easier time getting pregnant the second time around. :hug:

MamaMolly
11-20-2009, 06:34 PM

Nope. 30 isn't old. Heck, I'm pushing 40 and have DD and DC2 on the way thanks to IVF. But I will suggest to keep your eye on the calendar because some fertility programs have an age cut off. There was a shared-risk program (huge financial benefit) at our second fertility center that I had aged out of due to DH's insistance that we try 'the old fashioned way' for so long. I hope it works out for you guys! Anyway, you have nothing to loose by just going without birth control for a while. Have fun :)

cindys
11-20-2009, 07:19 PM
30 is a spring chicken!! :)

I had my last baby at 45.

thomma
11-20-2009, 07:46 PM
Yeah...it sucks! I have the reproductive system from h*ll...and my diagnosis is unexplained which is a real kick in the crotch. It took 4 years of treatments to have ds and dd...from conception to delivery, nothing was easy. Meanwhile my sister was squeezing kids out like a pez dispenser. Again, it just sucks!

Good luck and vent anytime that you'd like.:hug:

Kim
ds&dd -6

cindys
11-20-2009, 07:47 PM
"Pez Dispenser".... :ROTFLMAO::ROTFLMAO::ROTFLMAO:

Indianamom2
11-20-2009, 11:19 PM
I just wanted to say that you are not alone in feeling the way you do.

We had a somewhat difficult time conceiving DD #1 because of my completely non-existent periods (and ovulation) after I stopped using BCP. I had never had any problems prior to that, so it was quite a shock. It took about a year and a half, lots of tests, two rounds of clomid followed by a miscarriage, then two more rounds of clomid to get pregnant. Even then, I had early spotting and worried that we would lose DD too.

I honestly dreaded trying to get pregnant again, because I remember how stressful and emotional the whole ordeal was. The second time, for us, was completely different. We got lucky, but I have a much greater understanding of how blessed we were, not only to get pregnant, but to do so easily the second time and with no major scares.

It's so hard to see others, particularly those who don't even want to be pregnant, do so with ease. It's also hard to be around those people who will never ever understand what it's like to wonder if it will ever happen. Fertility issues just plain stink and I'm sorry you're dealing with them.:hug:

Christina