PDA

View Full Version : Oprah's calling it quits! What will all of us SAHMs do now??

TwinFoxes
11-20-2009, 09:03 AM
Just kidding about that last part. ;) And she's not quitting until 2011.

I never really got into Oprah. I respect her a lot, she made it to the tippy top in a really tough business with a LOT of strikes against her. But I just never got into her show. I do like to find out what her favorite things are, just because they're usually pretty cool. How do others feel about O?

(I guess there's a chance she's going to start another show on the soon to be "Oprah Winfrey Network" on cable)

Melaine
11-20-2009, 09:05 AM
But I just never got into her show. I do like to find out what her favorite things are, just because they're usually pretty cool. How do others feel about O?

:yeahthat: Exactly. The favorite things show is pretty much the only one that interests me, usually. I don't watch daytime television at all actually.

carolinamama
11-20-2009, 09:08 AM
I've only really watched it when I have newborns and am bfing. It can be entertaining and I think she has done a good job with it, but I just don't have time to watch daytime tv with 2 little ones. I think it will be kinda sad to see the end of her era in theory, but it probably won't affect me much.

daisymommy
11-20-2009, 09:24 AM
I used to LOVE her and her show in the past. I watched it every day. but lately, I'd say the past 2 years, the show has gone down hill, with subjects I don't like, and has grown stale, boring. Too bad :( So I will kind-of miss it, but won't be devastated.

Corie
11-20-2009, 09:26 AM
I don't watch daytime television at all actually.

I don't either. But, then, my mom was a SAHM and she never watched daytime
tv either.

Happy 2B mommy
11-20-2009, 10:55 AM
I used to LOVE her and her show in the past. I watched it every day. but lately, I'd say the past 2 years, the show has gone down hill, with subjects I don't like, and has grown stale, boring. Too bad :( So I will kind-of miss it, but won't be devastated.

Yup, this exactly. I even used to tape her when I worked! Now I only watch her show about once a week because most of the shows just don't interest me.

sunshine873
11-20-2009, 11:00 AM

:yeahthat: I think she's a very influential person. Sometimes she uses that to encourage people to do better things (good) but often I see her pushing her own agenda or opinions as fact. That's really annoyed me over the past few years, I don't watch her much anymore. I guess that works out because I don't have time to watch much anymore anyway!

Bottom line: She's done some great things, but I do think it's time for her to move on. Wise choice.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
11-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Just kidding about that last part. ;) And she's not quitting until 2011.

I never really got into Oprah. I respect her a lot, she made it to the tippy top in a really tough business with a LOT of strikes against her. But I just never got into her show. I do like to find out what her favorite things are, just because they're usually pretty cool. How do others feel about O?

(I guess there's a chance she's going to start another show on the soon to be "Oprah Winfrey Network" on cable)

:yeahthat:

I don't like talk shows, but if I had to watch one it would probably be Oprah.

lorinick
11-20-2009, 01:12 PM
I never watch her show anyway. It's really rare. I won't miss her.

WatchingThemGrow
11-20-2009, 01:18 PM
Not a huge fan, as many of the shows don't interest me. I watch parts of a show maybe once every other month. The one day I turned it on to BF and saw the flash mob, I thought it was pretty cool http://www.oprah.com/article/oprahshow/20090908-tows-flash-mob-dance

She has done a lot to educate people on so many topics, and I respect that.

BabyMine
11-20-2009, 01:38 PM
I watch her in spurts. I do like the favs shows, but I hate that I am not in the audience getting all the stuff for free. I also like her becasue she gave us Dr. OZ.

maestramommy
11-20-2009, 03:49 PM
I used to like her a lot. But lately her shows seemed more like ratings grabbers, rather than thoughtfully chosen topics. I haven't been able to watch her in a while cause I don't get ABC, so I could be wrong about that.

Did she say why she was quitting?

g-mama
11-20-2009, 04:18 PM
I've always liked her show, but haven't been able to watch her since my kids were no longer babies because my kids are all here at 4pm and her show is often not appropriate for children.

Sillygirl
11-20-2009, 04:41 PM
I've never seen an episode all the way through - ridiculous amount of commercials. Sometimes it seemed as though she'd say "We're back," say one sentence more, then cut back to commercial. She's given a voice to lots of weirdos like that "The Secret" guy, and her "favorite things" show is an unbridled celebration of materialism. All in all, I'm not a fan, and kind of mystified why she's so popular.

mamicka
11-20-2009, 06:01 PM
I've never seen an episode all the way through - ridiculous amount of commercials. Sometimes it seemed as though she'd say "We're back," say one sentence more, then cut back to commercial. She's given a voice to lots of weirdos like that "The Secret" guy, and her "favorite things" show is an unbridled celebration of materialism. All in all, I'm not a fan, and kind of mystified why she's so popular.

calv
11-20-2009, 06:06 PM
as a SAHM for almost 6 years I started watching her roughly 2 years ago. All thanks to DVR where I FF through all the commercials. I was never a huge fan up until recently. I think she's a huge inspiration to many women & talks about many interesting topics. If something doesn't interest me, I just delete her off of DVR. ITA for her bringing us DR. OZ. I <3 him!

wellyes
11-20-2009, 07:31 PM
I've seen Oprah's show only once since I was a kid (back in the Oprah vs Donahue days). It was a lesson in how to eat sushi. Put the whole thing in your mouth is the key. Helpful!

I do like her reading campaigns. I don't like all of her picks, or even most, but I do appreciate the audacity her choices. Not only did she not insult the intelligence of her audience of women, she picked some truly challenging books. I think that was really cool of her.

SnuggleBuggles
11-20-2009, 07:37 PM
I watch Ellen. :) Oprah has had some really interesting, powerful, entertaining, informing
episodes in the past but I haven't been hooked for years. In the past I would not be interested in the topic but watch anyway and always find myself drawn in.

Beth

AJP
11-20-2009, 08:03 PM
:yeahthat: Exactly. The favorite things show is pretty much the only one that interests me, usually. I don't watch daytime television at all actually.