PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk chest freezers

wendibird22
11-20-2009, 10:55 AM
DH would like us to get a freezer for our basement. FIL hunts and usually gives us a portion of his venison, plus we make loads of freezer jam in the summer and with DD2 due to arrive next month, there will likely be a stock of breast milk. So, for those of you with freezers, what do you have and do you like it?

DH claims to not want a frost-free model because he thinks it'll dehydrate foods too quickly and that defrosting a standard model once a year or so isn't a big deal. We also aren't sure about whether to get a chest style or an upright. The chest style has more actual useable space than a same size upright, but I worry about things getting lost on the bottom and never used and think that an upright is easier to organize and see what you have.

Thoughts?

sste
11-20-2009, 02:04 PM
Somewhere on-line I read an analysis that its cheaper energy-wise (and perhaps in initial cost, not sure??) to buy two of the smallest size of chest freezer. I think it is also easier to get to stuff with two small ones.

cono0507
11-20-2009, 02:22 PM
We have had a chest freezer for 7 years or so now. If it ever stops working, I'm getting an upright instead. Despite organizing it over and over, I always find it so annoying to dig and dig to find what is on the bottom. Ours is not frost free. Honestly, we've only needed to defrost it every few years or so and it hasn't been a big deal.

bubbaray
11-20-2009, 02:29 PM
We HATE our chest freezer. It is a bottomless pit. We had a fridge-style one previously (was FILs, from Europe) and it sucked electricity like there was no tomorrow. Not sure if that was b/c it ran on 220V or what. DH swears when our current one kicks the bucket, we're getting a fridge style one again. I don't think he'll be happy with the electricity bills, though.

scrooks
11-20-2009, 04:09 PM
We have had an upright for 4 years now with no issue.
I didn't want a chest freezer because of the reasons previous posters listed...I KNOW we would lose things in it! I didn't notice any huge increase in our electric bill...

MizMojoLaveau
11-23-2009, 10:57 AM
We have a small upright and can find things easily. Keep in mind that a small one can hold a LOT of deer, etc. (a lot more than you'd think). We bought it at a Sears "scratch and dent" store and the tiny dent is on the back corner! Great way to get a deal if you have one nearby.

mommytotwo
11-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the input -- this is something that we've been considering as well.