PDA

View Full Version : Toddler Biting

jellibeans
11-20-2009, 12:38 PM
My dd is almost 2 and she has been biting. She doesn't bite out of frustration, though. For example, yesterday she was hugging her friend(a 4 year old) and she just turned and bit his chest. I tell her "no biting!" and I know that she knows what I am saying. Any suggestions of what else I should do? Anyone BTDT?

bluestar2
11-20-2009, 12:49 PM
bite more when tired or overly excited. Can this be a factor?

SnuggleBuggles
11-20-2009, 06:00 PM
My ds did that a few weeks ago with hitting. He'll be 2 in less than 2 weeks, btw. The hitting thing was just when he was happily playing then he reached over and punched someone. I'd have understood it more if it was in reaction to something upsetting or frustrating. I just said "no hit" but didn't make a big deal of it.

He also bit a few times in the past few weeks but I haven't been there (preschool and gym nursery) and I trust both of them handled it in an age appropriate way. The preschool was pretty calm about it because it is a very typical developmental thing. Hopefully it will be a short phase.

Check for any underlying things like hunger, tiredness, frustration... and try to have those things adressed to ward off a hit. But, otherwise a "no" and possibly removal for the situation for a minute or 2 is a good thing to try.

Beth