PDA

View Full Version : Washing acrylic garments

bluestar2
11-20-2009, 01:13 PM
How would it hold up after washing and wearing? Does it pill etc?

lizzywednesday
11-24-2009, 02:16 PM
Need more info ... what brand/store?

I tend to find acrylic is too itchy for me to wear, but I have super-sensitive skin.

brittone2
11-24-2009, 03:40 PM
I avoid it because for me it always ends up pilly, and I'm too lazy to try handwashing. In the past I've had acrylic get pilly where your arms hang down and naturally rub against the sweater as you walk, kwim?

Maybe some brands are better but I've had so many bad experiences w/ acrylic I just can't do it anymore. It feels like a disposable garment to me because it only looks good for one or two wearings.

bluestar2
11-24-2009, 10:27 PM
Ah, thanks! I needed to hear that.

brittone2
11-24-2009, 11:30 PM
I keep having to talk myself out of acrylic when I encounter it while maternity shopping, and I have to remind myself that for me anyway, it usually has a very short lifespan of looking okay.

This is baby #3 and my maternity wardrobe needs some filling in here and there and a bit of updating. I am not willing to buy more expensive pieces because this is most likely our last baby. When I shop online at destination maternity, most of the more affordable sweaters are motherhood and contain a lot of acrylic. I keep reminding myself that I usually end up very unhappy with the synthetic feel, not to mention the fact that it almost never holds up well for me. I hate that sooooooooo much of the maternity stuff out there on the more affordable side of things is synthetic. Sorry for the rant ;)