PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything "lost" from yearly WDW trips?

sste
11-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Does it become routine or less "magical" or whatnot? DH and I have been debating this, neither of us feeling all that strongly but he is leaning toward less Disney and I think that yearly trips reduce the stress by avoiding the "lifetime" trip dynamic. My plan was to take DS (and future kiddos) once per year for about 5 days each time starting next year at age 3. This would be on top of our normal vacations, possibly with me taking DS on my own some years, so it wouldn't detract from other types of trips.

What do you all think - - is it better for WDW to be a special thing 1-2 across childhood? Should I worry that I am spoiling DS (it is a little awkward b/c we have two families we are close to that have had to tell their kids that they cannot afford disney ever)? Opinions please!

egoldber
11-20-2009, 01:38 PM
Well we have been more frequently than that, so I am biased. I don't think it becomes less magical and I do think it is less stressful. There is less pressure to "see it all" on any one trip.

It becomes much harder to do when they are school age though. I can't stand to go in the summer or over spring break, so it;s hard. It's been about a year now and we are itching to get down there!

g-mama
11-20-2009, 01:39 PM
I don't know...we've gone three times since my first ds was born and are going again next year. I love WDW and we have a blast, but don't really feel the "magic" that some people describe. It's different for everyone, but we don't think anything is lost by going more than a few times. We're just fortunate that we don't have to view it as a "once in a lifetime" trip. That said, we only go for 3-4 days each time due to dh's work and it's not a weeklong trip for us.

sste
11-20-2009, 01:53 PM
Is it advisable - - or possible - - to explain to a preschool or early elementary aged child not to talk about disney trips with friends who may not be able to go? As I mentioned we have friends whose kiddos have fixated on disney and can't afford it and we were thrilled to place DS in a very diverse preschool where there are some children in the federal headstart program.

I am cringing imagining him telling his friends about going to disney each year when some of those children won't have that opportunity -- and given that Disney appears to be such a big deal among small children.