PDA

View Full Version : toys they never played with

Allisonsmommy
11-20-2009, 03:34 PM
What toys did you buy that your kids never really played with?

My 2 year old NEVER took to the little people airplane. She never played with it even once. She just shoves it aside and plays with something else. She has been on airplanes lots too which is why it is weird.

She also had no interest in the corn popper.

I'm sure i'll think of others!

kayte
11-20-2009, 04:02 PM
DD never liked Little People, especially the animals. She would asked what they were supposed to be.... she adores the Schleich animals to this day.

WatchingThemGrow
11-20-2009, 04:08 PM
I can't think of anything that got very little use, maybe because I sold those quickly. Seems like everything we have out gets used a lot. The LP get tons of use here, probably because they are on a shelf where there is floor space for them to spread them out. DD really started doing more with them closer to 2.5-3 when she could "match up" kids from different sets and interact with them more.
Certain stuffed animals have gotten no play.

g-mama
11-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Little People
Automoblox
Rody horse

I know there are so many more...

Melaine
11-20-2009, 04:18 PM
I can't think of anything that got very little use, maybe because I sold those quickly.

:yeahthat: One thing that comes to mind is the Wheely Bugs. I bought them in January and they were a big dud. However, in the last maybe 3 months they are making a big comeback. The girls definitely use them each day so I am glad I kept them. They are so darn cute that I didn't mind them sitting in the Living Room all this time.

The doll cradles get very little actual playtime but I hung on to them because they are cute and several dolls at least "sleep" in them so it serves as storage.

ett
11-20-2009, 04:25 PM
A lot of our stuffed animals get very little play. The few favorites get played with and that's it.

daphne
11-20-2009, 04:39 PM
My kids also never took to most of the LP sets we have (plane, school & bus).

SnuggleBuggles
11-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Way too many of our toys have fallen into this category which is why I am now a reformed toy shopper. I now focus on far fewer toys and it has been working so much better. Rotating does work sometimes with toys and we do that a lot.

Wedgits (very brief interest)
stuffed animals
Duplos
Peek a Blocks

Beth

amybds
11-20-2009, 05:44 PM
So far, Little People haven't gotten much play at all. Blocks - wood, rubber, cloth, duplos - haven't really held their interest either, other than as something to throw.
(20-month-old boys)

amandabea
11-20-2009, 05:54 PM
things that get little to no play --
- bilibo
- Lego duplos
- stuffed animals
- LP airplane (minimal)
- wild planet animal scramble (because two animals broke immediately)
- FP little mommy craddle, stroller, and carrier (the doll is played with constantly)
- M&D pizza, sandwich set, and birthday cake

ETA: we don't have a lot of space, so some of these toys are stacked out of the way

sidmand
11-20-2009, 07:00 PM
It's funny how one person's dud is another's hit and vice versa.

The LP have been a big hit (and the corn popper) but the Bilibo not so much. DS has shown a little interest now that he's older and maybe DD will like it.

We just pulled the Automoblox out (have had them awhile) and DS seems to like them now.

Of course now DD likes anything DS is already playing with and vice versa!

Playdough has been hit or miss...usually miss. And it's true, I learned (quickly, but not quickly enough) that DS didn't so much like what I wanted him to like so we don't have a lot of those toys around anymore!

Momof3Labs
11-20-2009, 07:07 PM
wedgits
bakugan
bilibo
duplo/mega blocks
plastic animals (stuffed animals get a lot of play time here, so did the plastic dinosaurs)
some LP sets (while others have been favorites)
peek a blocks

vonfirmath
11-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Loved the corn popper

Peek a blocks were duds -- they just don't stack as well. And even the ones that rattled, etc... he didn't care. The balls? He likes those. (oh and he LOVES the Roll a Round dinosaur at church, which I was sure would be a dud so avoided buying many times)

srhs
11-20-2009, 07:46 PM
:thumbsdown:
Bounce & Spin Zebra (maybe DS1 will like it when we get it back out for DS2)
Laugh & Learn Puppy (although DF's DD looooves hers)

bluestar2
11-20-2009, 09:01 PM
I won't say these toys never got played with

Jo..
11-20-2009, 10:10 PM
I have several toys that I hate to get rid of because I thought they would be played with a ton, and I spent a lot of money.

Animalz (sp?)
Peek-a-blocks
Melissa and Doug wooden toys (we have a TON).
Play food (felt and wood) they just throw it all over the house
eta: plasma car
Rody Pony

Guess what our #1 played with toy is? The FP Learning House. The thing is gigantic, and I can't get rid of it, because they play with it ALL THE TIME.

ett
11-20-2009, 11:06 PM
It's funny how one person's dud is another's hit and vice versa.

:yeahthat: Several posters have mentioned that wedgits were a dud but they have been a huge hit with my boys lately. If only we could all get together and make some swaps! :)

sarahsthreads
11-21-2009, 11:06 AM
The big wooden (expensive) doll house set. It's a dust collector in DD1's room, and I approached her about taking it out in favor of a train table that she could set her (beloved) tiny ponies up on, figuring that she'd protest. Yeah, even *she* realizes it never gets played with and would be thrilled to exchange it for a table so I wouldn't make her pick up her ponies every night off the floor.

All the bright, crinkly, jingly soft baby toys. DD2 never had *any* interest in those.

Stuffed animals. But heaven forbid I try to get rid of any of them, because then all of a sudden we love them and can't live without them (for all of 10 minutes.)

On the other hand, Little People and Duplos are a huge hit around here, as is our play kitchen and assorted accessories.

Sarah :)

egoldber
11-21-2009, 11:23 AM
Legos, at least for Sarah. She never got into them. But both of my kids like Duplos.

FWIW, I see a lot of people talking about toys being duds when they really still seem too little for them. A lot of kids don't start in on pretend play/doll play (including small figure like LP) until they are more like 3.

mecawa
11-21-2009, 04:12 PM
Stuffed animals and the wooden learning cube. Everything else got (or gets ) played with a lot.

I'm surprised about the number of kids who don't get into the Little People, that was DD1's fave from 18 months until 4 1/2.

bluestar2
11-21-2009, 06:47 PM
Stuffed animals and the wooden learning cube. Everything else got (or gets ) played with a lot.

I'm surprised about the number of kids who don't get into the Little People, that was DD1's fave from 18 months until 4 1/2.

They never played w/ LP at all.

hillview
11-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Little People
Automoblox
Peakaboo blocks
Haba marble run (too young)
FP L&L kitchen is so large and gets played with not so much

/hillary