PDA

View Full Version : Plastic bones to dig for

niccig
11-20-2009, 05:59 PM
DS wanted to dig for dinosaur bones and asked if we had any tools. I got out my archaeology kit that was buried in the garage - trowels, paint brushes, tooth brush, compass, level, string etc I bought 2 dog bones and buried them in the garden bed. DS is busily digging/brushing away. He found one bone and is now drawing a map of where it was found and the picture of the bone.

This is a great activity, BUT the dog bones are smelly - I got the real ones. Anyone know where to get plastic bones that I could use. I know there are dinosaur excavation kits, but those are too small for DS, who is nearly 5. I'm looking for good sized plastic bones, so I can bury more and I don't have to worry about the dog digging them up.

Thanks.

rlu
11-21-2009, 12:42 AM
Too late to hit the Halloween stores now, but you might find some plastic skeletons at a thrift store.

lellolicious
11-21-2009, 11:58 PM
Oriental trading has a plastic hanging skeleton for $10 with bones that pop apart. I know because we bought it for a pirate-themed bday party, and the kids tore it limb from limb, and now the bones are scattered all around our back yard, including in our sandbox!

They also have a bag of bones that might be a bit more realistic looking, but it's more expensive.