PDA

View Full Version : I know u/s are just estimates but . . .

mominma
11-20-2009, 11:13 PM
I am getting a little concerned. I will be 37 weeks tomorrow and I had an ultrasound done today to see the fluid levels and make sure everything looked good. They said the baby looked great! But right now, they are estimating the baby's size to be a little over 8lbs. I am concerned if this is correct I could have a very large baby! So I am wondering if anyone has gotten an estimate that was off late in their pregnancy.

My other kids were 7.7, 8.6 and 8.3lbs.

Thanks

WatchingThemGrow
11-20-2009, 11:19 PM
you may not want to hear mine, but you've already had 3. I think bigger subsequent babies are a blessing because they (well, mine) have been better sleepers. My very experienced OB estimated (late in PG) this last one to be between DD (6.12) and DS (7.04) and he ended up being 9.02 and 22.5in. By FAR the easiest labor though :) It was less than 20 min. start to finish :cheerleader1: I earned that this time, though.

twowhat?
11-20-2009, 11:25 PM
My twins were overestimated by 8 oz at 37 weeks. But the U/S tech did tell me that she had a harder time estimating size of our babies because there was practically no room for her to manipulate the wand. She had to manipulate ME in order to get the measurements LOL. She told me to take her measurements with a grain of salt, and that they could be a pound off.

Nothin' wrong with an 8+ pound baby though! :)

Indianamom2
11-20-2009, 11:27 PM
Yep, sounds exactly like the situation in which I found myself about 4.5 months ago!

For about 6 weeks before DS #2 was due, every.single.OB (and I saw a whole bunch) were estimating a big baby. At my final u/s (to determine position and size), the tech predicted almost 9 lbs. and I was no where close to being in labor. So we decided to induce a couple days later. I was already a few days overdue, so it wasn't a big deal and I was nervous about him getting too big, plus I was just absolutely miserable.

DS#2 was 7 lbs. 14 oz. and 20 inches long., virtually the same size as his big sister. My labor was hard and long, I am certain due to the induction. If I had it to do over, I'd probably wait a little longer before inducing and not worry about the size of the baby.

Christina

smilequeen
11-20-2009, 11:31 PM
Well, my second son was estimated to be quite large. My first was 8lbs6oz and they did a late u/s and estimated my 2nd would be around 10 lbs.

He was born on his due date. 7lbs 12oz.

In the end though, a big baby is really not anything to worry too much about. If your body gave birth to an 8lb 6oz baby it can handle whatever you throw at it :)

SnuggleBuggles
11-20-2009, 11:59 PM
With ds1 they refused to do an u/s for weight. When they did an u/s as part of the BPP when I was postdate all they said was that he was an average sized baby. I really, really, really appreciated that they didn't give me a number or even really act like it was a big deal. Now, I sure wish they had told me he was malpositioned (if he was at the time!) since I could have worked on that! He was 8lb 5oz when he was born at 42w.

Ds2 was predicted to be a larger baby by the end of my pregnancy. They did an u/s weight guess when I was there for a BPP (another later baby :)). He was predicted to be 9lb. He was born 24 hours later and was 9lbs 9oz. He was well positioned and it was an easy birth. I had the tiniest of tears (which I may have been able to prevent with a bit better control or even better birthing position than I was already in). Btw, there was absolutely no talk of inducing because of size.

Fat squishes. :) Check out spinning babies to do what you can do to ensure good positioning since that matters at least as much, but usually more, than weight.

Beth

JBaxter
11-21-2009, 12:00 AM
Depends on who does them. I had Biophysical profiles every week after 33 weeks. One u/s tech was awesome one was not. The NOT one had Jack measuring 1/2lb bigger which caused the butthead doc in my OB practice to freak out and request I schedule a csection at 39wks. The next week Steph did my u/s and had him back on track. Jack was big 10lb1oz ... 6 days prior to my delivery Steph had him measuring at 9lb10oz so she was dead on...

My babies were 7lb 15oz, 8lb 13oz, 9lb8oz and 10lb1oz.

My 10lb1oz was induced and the epidural failed after 20 minutes. He was by my easiest delivery. Dont freak out :) I pushed 3 - 4 times with all of my boys. My hardest delivery was my smallest baby

mominma
11-21-2009, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the responses! When the technician came back she said the baby looks "healthy and plump!" It will be interesting to see when the big day will come. I am hoping to go at least a little early. She said an OB would never induce becuase of size, because an U/S is just an estimate. I hope for an easy delivery!

sansdieu
11-21-2009, 12:06 AM
My babies were 7lb 15oz, 8lb 13oz, 9lb8oz and 10lb1oz.

Wow. I'm speechless. Truly.

Momof3Labs
11-21-2009, 01:29 AM
My twins were estimated at 8lbs and change EACH at 36w2d, which was 10 days before they were born. They were 7lbs and 7lbs 3oz.

MommyAllison
11-21-2009, 02:42 AM
My DD was estimated at 8.5-9lb at a 40wk3day ultrasound. I went into labor the next day, and she was born at 8lb2oz. :)

Melarina
11-21-2009, 05:26 AM
My daughter was estimated to be larger and was only 7 lb 2 oz at birth

daphne
11-21-2009, 08:20 AM
My OB was spot-on predicting my son's weight (predicted his weight as 9lbs, 2oz 1 wk before birth & he was born weighing 9 lbs, 10 oz.). With DD she was over a lb off (predicted a birthweight of 8lbs, 2oz, but she ended up weighing 9lbs, 6oz.). That might not be super-encouraging, but remember that fat squishes! DD ended up having a nice, small/average size head, so delivery was quite easy (though I did have an epi ;))

dragop21
11-21-2009, 08:26 AM
U/s are *known* to be off by at least a lb plus or minus.

honestly when I hear about docs inducing for "big babies" it makes me want to scream and yell and throw something. its defensive medicine not based in science or medical fact. :mad:

so, please don't let the OB scare you into inducing for a big baby. your body will labour on its own when its ready. and 99% of the time it does just fine. :)

and this is not a personal slight against anyone whom this has been done it. its just my own personal frustration, and I hope its heard that way.

JBaxter
11-21-2009, 08:41 AM
ETA... I was induced not solely because of size but it was a factor. Jack was 5 days post date when we started ( 6 days when delivered) Jack was 10lb1oz , 22 3/4 in long w/ a 15 1/2 in head. He was a big boy. I didnt have just one or 2 u/s mine were weekly and we tracked his growth -- it was consistant on the same curve except for 2 which were done by a different u/s tech.

I knew he was big not having an u/s and honestly I was guessing 10lbs just from my history. U/S CAN be correct but are often off. I really think it depends on the skill of the tech and the quality of the machine they use.

doberbrat
11-21-2009, 08:44 AM
She said an OB would never induce becuase of size, because an U/S is just an estimate. I hope for an easy delivery!

MANY OBs will try to induce due to a 'large' baby.

I know someone who's ob insisted on inducing early b/c baby was 'so big' - estimated to be nearly 10lbs. well, baby was <8lbs and spent time in the nicu for breathing issues.

my ob tried to give me the 'baby is going to be big we should induce early' speach and I looked at her and said well, I'm not exactly a small person and I've had a baby before so lets cross that bridge when we get to it. looks like I'm facing an induction for other reasons but I wouldnt let size be the determining factor.

I hope for an easy delivery for you too!

alexsmommy
11-21-2009, 09:25 AM
They've both been off the for me and with DS1 there could have been serious consequences. When my water broke at 30 weeks the tech at my local hospital estimated he was 4lbs and that was the cut off for what they would deliver. There was NO WAY I would have considered delivering a 30 week preemie at anything less than a level III NICU and I was transferred. I wound up on bedrest for two weeks before delivering at DS1 was only 3lbs 3oz two weeks later so the original estimate they was way off. As jbaxter said, depends on the tech because at the second hospital they were estimating 3lbs 8oz the day before I delivered.
DS2 was estimated to be 6lbs 8oz at 40 weeks and he was born the next day at 5lbs 14oz.

kayte
11-21-2009, 10:20 AM
We had a 4D ultrasound three days before DD was born. They told us to run out a get some preemie clothes and diapers just to be safe-- as they estimated her to be about 5- 5.5 #s. She turned out to be 6# 14 ounces-- not so preemie after all. Even my doctor remarked how wrong they had been the minute she saw DD.

So I think they can be wrong in both directions.

Melaine
11-21-2009, 10:34 AM
The US done 2 hours before the Emergency C was way off on my kiddos weights. But, as pp mentioned, it is difficult to estimate the weights of multiples.

nov04
11-21-2009, 11:10 AM
I had my u/s at just under 37w and they estimated (and told me they could be off by a lb) over 6lb. dd1 came out at 5lb7oz. Neither one of us were doing well so I was augmented (already in labour).

emily_gracesmama
11-21-2009, 11:14 AM
They estimated Katie to be around 7 on the day of delivery and she popped out at 8lbs 14oz which shocked the HELL out of everyone, cause Em was only 6lbs 2ozs. She looked like a two month old at birth compared to what her sister looked like!

catsnkid
11-21-2009, 02:56 PM
They thought DS was 8 lbs at 38 weeks and he was just about that when he finally showed up at 42 weeks.

HIU8
11-21-2009, 03:52 PM
I had u/s at 36 weeks with DD and DS. DS was estimated at 6 lbs something at the time. The OB thought I might have a 8-9 lb baby. DS ended up coming at 38 weeks and only weighed 6 lbs 14 oz, so they were WAY off. Ditto with DD--although at 36 weeks she was estimated to weigh 5.5 lbs. She was also born at 38 weeks (looks like my body kicks babies out at 38 weeks) and was only 6 lbs 8 oz. I would say they were slightly off there as well...

tryin
11-22-2009, 04:31 PM
How do you interpret this? On friday (38weeks) baby was estimated to weigh 5lbs 15oz. However, what's funny is at 36 weeks, baby was estimated to weigh 6.5lbs. I guess my baby has gone on a diet in utero. I will be delivered at 39weeks (end of this week) so it will be interesting to see how much she weighs. My only other baby was born at 23 wks@1lb, 3oz, so really no other birth weights to go by.

JBaxter
11-22-2009, 07:08 PM
How do you interpret this? On friday (38weeks) baby was estimated to weigh 5lbs 15oz. However, what's funny is at 36 weeks, baby was estimated to weigh 6.5lbs. I guess my baby has gone on a diet in utero. I will be delivered at 39weeks (end of this week) so it will be interesting to see how much she weighs. My only other baby was born at 23 wks@1lb, 3oz, so really no other birth weights to go by.

Different u/s techs have different skills. With my last baby I had biophysical profiles weekly after 32 weeks. With the u/s tech I liked ( Steph) she had him tracking at about 8 - 10 oz per week at the end < babies average about 1/2 lb per week at the end of pregnancy> As Ive said before she was spot on with Jack. She also told me he would have a little bit of hair and his legs were long. All of which were true.

Good luck with your delivery!

swrc00
11-22-2009, 09:12 PM
I started measuring big around 32 weeks. I had several ultrasounds and they all came back saying he would be around 8lbs max . He weighed 9 lbs 13 oz. I did push for a long time, but it was not difficult. Good Luck and I wish you a happy delivery!!