PDA

View Full Version : Routers

KrystalS
11-20-2009, 11:23 PM
I need a router that works well over a distance and through several walls, anyone have recommendations? I've heard the more expensive ones with all the "bells and whistles" don't really work any better than the cheaper versions. We have a basic Netgear one right now and it isn't working for us.

elliput
11-20-2009, 11:57 PM
We use a LinkSys Wireless G router. It is located in the computer room in the basement and I am sitting at the dining table on the main floor easily 30 ft away. The only time the signal is an issue is when the microwave is running- and that is an easy fix, we just haven't done it. At our old house, the computer room was in an addition so the signal had to travel through a brick wall into the main parts of the house and I never had a problem there (different microwave, too).

tylersmama
11-21-2009, 12:38 AM
:yeahthat:

My condo is smallish, but the Linksys Wireless G works perfectly everywhere inside, and I've even taken my laptop downstairs to the garage and outside (brick walls) and had perfectly good signal.

SpaceGal
11-21-2009, 12:42 AM
I would recommend the Apple Airport Base Station. Ever since we got it, it's worked smoothly. I can access it in the garage and on the driveway with no problem. It will work on a mixed network and if you just run PCs as well.

ThreeofUs
11-21-2009, 03:48 AM
We run a Netgear wireless router. Has worked well through our brick and ceramic walls -- but we had to put strong security on it; as you can get signal from the street, lol!

infomama
11-21-2009, 09:14 AM
We have a Linksys G router and it is wonderful. Simple to encrypt and no problem getting a signal through floors

Naranjadia
11-21-2009, 09:40 AM
We have to go through a thick outer wall (L-Shaped house) and across a distance, so I have tried about 5 routers. The two that worked the best have been the Belkin Pre-N and the Buffalo Wireless-G. We also tried 2 Linksys models, and a Netgear (which both my parents and sister use successfully in their houses).

I also added a signal booster that seems to have improved the strength and reliability of the signal. http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Wardriving-Extension-Strongest-Market/dp/B000QYGNKQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1258810722&sr=1-6

I've been working on this problem for years! Grrr.

BillK
11-21-2009, 09:52 AM
I have a Linksys WRT54GL in our basement that was "ok" at best for wireless signal when outside our home (even tried it upstairs on our first floor and range just wasn't very good).

I recently turned off the wireless on the Linksys (it's still our router and connected to our cable modem) and added a Buffalo Airstation Wireless G running in access point mode via a 5 port switch on our first floor and so far it's worked great. We have wireless darn near everywhere outside our house for our iPhones.

bubbaray
11-21-2009, 10:14 AM
We have a Linksys and are very happy with it.