PDA

View Full Version : Quick help re. H1N1 vaccine

Mommy Of A Little Angel
11-21-2009, 09:18 AM
DD has an appt this morning to get the H1N1 vaccine. Problem is, she woke up with a terrible sounding cough and mild congestion. Normally I would reschedule the vaccine, but the ped only got 200 doses and obviously if we cancel, it will go to someone else. Do I take her or hope she can get it another time?

JBaxter
11-21-2009, 09:21 AM
You CANT vaccinate a SICK child. Cancel the appt.

Mommy Of A Little Angel
11-21-2009, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the reply! I was pretty sure she couldn't get it but just wanted to make sure. DH woke up and said no way she is sick! Hopefully her number will come up again when she is healthy!

PAfirsttimemom
11-21-2009, 09:35 AM
As long as she doesn't have a fever, you can vaccinate. My DS (age 3 1/2) has cold symptoms and was vaccinated yesterday at my ped office.

bubbaray
11-21-2009, 10:15 AM
Yup, as long as there is no fever, you definitely CAN vaccinate a sick child. Have done it many many times. DD#2 was not 100% healthy when she got her H1N1. *I* was on antibiotics for a sinus infection when I got my H1N1.

alexsmommy
11-21-2009, 12:32 PM
In terms of what the medical professionals say, you can vax as long as there is no fever. Others have strong feelings about this and would not consider it. I think with no fever you have to educate yourself and decide what you are comfortable with.
I would call the ped and discuss. DS1 got his vax with a mild cold still resolving, but he had never had a fever connected to it. He was fine.