PDA

View Full Version : Too Much Going On or PPD?

Indianamom2
11-21-2009, 10:10 PM
The title sort of says it all. I just posted about having a rough time recently with DS #2 (4 months old). I've also recently posted about DD#1 (5 years) having hearing issues, speech problems, allergies and now asthma. Dh is an attorney who works hard and long hours and we don't live near any family, so we're "it" when it comes to childcare. There's just almost never a break, for either of us.

I'm struggling to know where the line is between just having A LOT going on and having some PPD. I don't feel sad or depressed. I don't have any suicidal thoughts. I don't want to hurt myself or anyone else. However, I am overwhelmed. The house is an absolute wreck and since I can't ever get DS to stop crying, I can't ever even remotely get caught up. Dh is stressed about work (with good reason) and I'm stressed about the kids and DD's sudden rash of medical issues. We desperately need a break, but DS won't take a bottle for anyone and so that's not happening right now.

So how do you know if you're just temporarily overwhelmed or suffering from PPD?

Christina

wellyes
11-21-2009, 10:18 PM
:grouphug:

I don't really know the answer to your question, but I will say that feeling overwhelmed seems like a rational response to your situation. It sounds so hard. Good for you for taking care of your family like that. I hope you get the chance to take care of yourself too.

maestramommy
11-21-2009, 10:33 PM
In your situation I would feel TOTALLY overwhelmed, and that would be my first response, rather than PPD. However, that's not to say that I wouldn't end up with it if the situation became longterm. :hug::hug:

gobadgers
11-21-2009, 10:40 PM
It's always difficult with an infant, but much more so with everything you have going on. I'm sure you'll get some very good information on this board; just not from me because I honestly don't know. What you will get from me is some big hugs: :hug5::hug5:

Hope things settle down a little soon.

tiapam
11-22-2009, 01:38 AM
It sounds like you are just overwhelmed which is natural in your situation. As PP said, could tip over with time and no relief.

Can you take a mini break at home? I usually feel better when I sort of stop time and try to just enjoy my kids. For some reason I always feel good when we have a picnic, even if it is inside and at home. DD gets so excited about it, it feels like a big event.

Hugs to you.

KarenLud
11-22-2009, 11:46 AM
I think feeling overwhelmed is totally a normal, rational response to the stress you are under with everything going on. That said, I think it's not a bad idea to just keep monitoring for symptoms of PPD because if it is or if it develops, therapy and/or medication could really help. How are you sleeping (I know, that's a joke of a question when you have an infant)? Can you sleep when he sleeps-are you able to? Also look out for feelings of hopelessness. Hugs and hope things ease up for you soon.

mommy111
11-22-2009, 02:41 PM
Sounds like you are overwhelmed. Can you give yourself a break? Babysitter a few hours a couple of times a week so that you can get some 'me' time or even just catch a nap? There were days when I was pregnant with DC2 when I would sneak out of work early and sneak into the house vis the back door and just take a nap in my room before I would send the babysitter away.

ThreeofUs
11-22-2009, 04:11 PM
:grouphug:

Hugs, mama! Sounds like you're going through a LOT right now, and as someone else with no family around (and a DH in the wild unknown), I can tell you that "overwhelmed" can lead pretty quickly "depressed". BUT that's not to say you have PPD.

Can you get some rest? Other folks have suggested babysitters, but how about a PP doula - someone who is really well versed in babies and who you know you can trust for an hour or two? I have one right now (even though DS2 is 14 mos), because there's a big difference in competence and trust between an experienced doula and a babysitter.