PDA

View Full Version : s/o: a sewing question - re: bobbin thread

neeleymartin
11-21-2009, 11:17 PM
do you make a bobbin for each new color you use on top? OR do you just leave white in the bobbin all the time? total beginner to sewing and i find bobbin thread to be such a pain.

is it really necessary to switch with each color if what i am sewing is casual? i'm not sewing a wedding gown or anything. and if the tension is set properly it shouldn't even show, right? tia

maestramommy
11-21-2009, 11:48 PM
I have a few bobbins with different colors on them. I tried to get the colors as close as possible, at least in tone.

m448
11-22-2009, 12:08 AM
I typically match the bobbin thread since even the most balanced stitch will still peak through. I have a couple of thread racks for my thread and I keep the bobbin right under the spool of thread on the same peg.

caheinz
11-22-2009, 12:10 AM
Another always-matching person here.

deannanb
11-22-2009, 12:14 AM
I don't always match - but I try to get the blue colors close together - I will grab what is close to matching.

Maybe spend a day just doing bobbins - look at the post - "for the sewers"
there is a good sale on thread at joanns - I have this set an really like having any color I need at my fingertips -

ETA Post: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=342157

ellies mom
11-22-2009, 12:16 AM
I have a couple of thread racks for my thread and I keep the bobbin right under the spool of thread on the same peg.

That is brilliant! I have a box that holds bobbins but your way is so simple.

I'm another matcher. The only thing I don't match exactly is my serger thread but partly because I don't have a lot of colors yet and partly because rethreading the thing is a pain. I found that tan matches a lot though.

o_mom
11-22-2009, 12:17 AM
It depends. :) Many things I make are two sided, such as top stitching a baby blanket, where the bobbin thread will show. Those times I wind a bobbin of the same color. I usually wind them about half full and I bought about 20 extra bobbins so it isn't a big deal. If the bobbin thread won't show, then I just try to get close and don't worry too much.

m448
11-22-2009, 12:17 AM
Hee another nonmatcher for the serger thread - light gray matches pretty much anything.

Your welcome. I use to use these things called Handi-bobs that kept them on top of the spool but ran out and had a doh! moment by putting the bobbin under the spool instead.

MontrealMum
11-22-2009, 12:21 AM
Totally depends what I'm doing, but for "good" stuff, I match. I have quite a few bobbins since I inherited both machine and all its accessories from my grandmother. I don't sew much anymore but I'm going to check out the organizational systems posted above...right now everything is just tossed into a drawer :)

new_mommy25
11-22-2009, 12:22 AM
I always match if it will show. So I guess my answer depends on what I am sewing. I have about 20 bobbins so it's usually not a problem to quickly switch out to a new color.

vonfirmath
11-22-2009, 04:48 PM
I tend to use grey for my bobbin thread, because it tends to blend in to anything.

JTsMom
11-22-2009, 05:08 PM
I typically match the bobbin thread since even the most balanced stitch will still peak through. I have a couple of thread racks for my thread and I keep the bobbin right under the spool of thread on the same peg.
:yeahthat:, except I have cases instead of racks. I have tons of bobbins so that I can just leave them loaded.

tnrnchick74
11-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Depends on what I'm sewing & on what...

Embroidery machine requires special bobbin weight thread - so I use only white or black.

Sewing clothing - I ALWAYS match and I have a cool product that attaches the bobbin to the spool of thread! I can't remember the name of it though!

For quick mending or things that the bobbin thread won't show - black or white.

And I have about 100 bobbins prewound with all my fave colors. It took me about 2 days to do all of them. After a project, I "replenish" the bobbin I used.