PDA

View Full Version : Can I make pancakes ahead and freeze them? - see #12 has an additional question

jayali
11-21-2009, 11:39 PM
DH family has a tradition to do Thanksgiving breakfast. This way they all get to see each other every Thanksgiving and the spouse's families don't get slighted. My IL usually hosted, but since my MIL died we have been rotating hosting. Well this year turns out to be our turn. I am making a breakfast strata and 2 fritattas. The kids (there will be about 11) usually get pancakes. Can I make the pancakes ahead and freeze them or will they be gross. I want to get as much done as I can before Thursday morning so that I can enjoy the day.

Also, if any of you have any great pancake recipes I welcome them.

TIA

JBaxter
11-21-2009, 11:45 PM
Yes you can freeze them. Ive added pumpkin to my pancake mix I dont have a recipe but they turn out good.

Elilly
11-21-2009, 11:45 PM
Yes! In fact, my kids usually eat pancakes and bacon every morning before school. I make pancakes about once a month and then freeze them with wax paper in between. I don't have a recipe to share unless you want a gluten free one!

urquie
11-21-2009, 11:53 PM
occasionally i freeze pancakes for my kids to eat later, but i don't think i would serve them to company.

you could make the batter the day before and delegate someone to make the pancakes. use an electric griddle to free up space around the oven.

Tondi G
11-22-2009, 01:32 AM
occasionally i freeze pancakes for my kids to eat later, but i don't think i would serve them to company.

you could make the batter the day before and delegate someone to make the pancakes. use an electric griddle to free up space around the oven.

I second this. Freezing is fine for my kids to have pancakes quick on school morning but I don't know that I would do it for company. Maybe you could make baked french toast instead? Here is a recipe that I got from this board in the past... haven't made it myself yet but it sounds YUMMY

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Overnight french toast

Ingredients
• 1* cup* packed light brown sugar
• 1/2* cup* light-colored corn syrup
• 1/4* cup* butter
• Cooking spray
• 10* (1-ounce) slices French bread (soft bread such as Pepperidge Farm)
• 2 1/2* cups* 1% low-fat milk
• 1* tablespoon* all-purpose flour
• 1 1/2* teaspoons* vanilla extract
• 1/4* teaspoon* salt
• 2* large eggs
• 2* tablespoons* granulated sugar
• 1* teaspoon* ground cinnamon

Preparation
Combine first 3 ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until mixture is bubbly, stirring constantly. Pour mixture evenly into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
Arrange bread slices in a single layer over syrup in dish.
Combine milk and next 4 ingredients (through eggs) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Pour egg mixture over bread slices. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 350°.
Combine 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over bread.
Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until golden. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~

Here is another thing I got from the board that I want to make

Sausage and Egg Casserole
6 slices bread, cubed (wheat or other firm bread, such as slightly stale works best)
1 lb. sausage, browned and drained
1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
8 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
1 tsp. salt
Pepper to taste

Cube bread and place evenly in a greased 9x13" baking dish. Sprinkle with sausage and cheese. Mix eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour over top of ingredients in pan. Cover and chill overnight. Remove from refrigerator 15 minutes before baking to take the chill off. Bake at 325* for 45-60 minutes until eggs are set.

Serves 8 to 10

ha98ed14
11-22-2009, 01:30 PM
We do this all the time for DD. We are super lazy about it, too. We use Red Mill's Mix or Trader Joes if we are out of Red Mill.

deannanb
11-22-2009, 02:55 PM
Make them ahead of time -freeze them .
then make a small batch for that morning while people are over- you can heat the frozen ones in the oven and make a few fresh ones - everyone will think you have been cooking all morning! =)

vludmilla
11-22-2009, 03:07 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about freezing the pancakes for the 11 (!) kids that you have to feed. Kids tend not to be as picky as adults about these things. You have wonderful, fresh choices for the adults. Keep it simple for yourself :)

rgors
11-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Make the pancakes ahead and freeze them with wax paper in between. Err on the side of underbrowning them. Then the best way to warm up the pancakes is to put them in the toaster! This will finish the browning and heat them up. If you heat up in the microwave, then they will turn soggy.

We freeze extra pancakes and reheat in the toaster all the time. They're fantastic and very very presentable to company.

I would not make the pancake batter the night before! The rising agents in the dry mix will hit the liquid and activate and then lose their rise-ability. When you would use the batter the next morning, you will have very very flat pancakes.

hellokitty
11-22-2009, 05:55 PM
If you want to do something make ahead, I would just do muffins. A lot easier, no syrupy mess either.

wellyes
11-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Yes, I freeze pancakes. I like to put them (once cooled) into plastic freezer bags in sets of 3-4, which is what I consider a serving size. Use a straw to suck out any extra air right before sealing the bag. Then I just use the toaster oven to heat them up. SO GOOD.

jayali
11-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Thank you ladies. We have decided to make a batch the night before for the kids and I will make some early morning for the adults who want pancakes instead of the other choices.

Any of you have a recipe to share for Vegan breakfast. Two of our adults are Vegans and so far I have a muselix recipe - but that is about it. Can I make oatmeal with rice milk?

wellyes
11-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Soy milk or rice milk is great. Try the I Can't Believe It's Vegan (http://www.peta.org/accidentallyVegan/) site to look for baked goods & cereals that are OK. Some regular supermarket breads (Wonder bread, Thomas's bagels) are OK.

I think juice, cereal, some whole fruit & maybe bagels and peanut butter would be a great vegan breakfast offering ..... for PB, the grind-your-own or natural stuff (no honey) is a good choice. Nice of you to be so thoughtful.

sunriseiz
11-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Can I make oatmeal with rice milk?

Hmmm...i always make oatmeal with water.... you could serve with milk (soy, rice, almond) on the side?

niccig
11-23-2009, 06:26 PM
Hmmm...i always make oatmeal with water.... you could serve with milk (soy, rice, almond) on the side?

Me too...with water that is and then put milk/yoghurt/brown sugar/maple sugar/raisins/almonds on as they like...it could be an oatmeal buffet.