PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide: setback or writing in the sand?

Naranjadia
11-22-2009, 12:10 AM
Here's the situation:

Four weeks ago or so, we moved the twins into toddler beds. After a few rough nights, we had a routine of them resisting being in bed, us responding, them resisting, us responding and them finally staying in bed. It was manageable. Naps were not that great, so we started sitting with them until they fell asleep. All going okay - la-dee-dah. Then last week, Grampaw and Grandma visit for 3 days. We kept them on schedule, though. But inexplicably they turned into wild beasts at bedtime since last weekend. We've had poop on the loose, we've had the Aquaphor tub incident - it seriously has been taking 2-3 hours to get them to sleep. Meanwhile, I'm fantasizing about Benadryl, sleep sacks, swaddles, anything!!

We've tried accentuating the night-time routine, keeping things mellow the hour before bedtime, etc.

So here's my question: is it time to go back to cribs and use crib tents? I have a muscular problem that makes it difficult for me to get them in and out their cribs, which is why we took their crib escapes as a signal to move to toddler beds. But now, I'm considering sucking it up and just doing what I can. What do you all think?

twowhat?
11-22-2009, 12:49 PM
We're not there yet but I plan to keep the girls in their cribs as long as humanly possible! We will probably use crib tents if it's necessary. But given your back situation maybe you can consider something like the Peapod? It would be on the floor, but at least when you pick up the kids you can use your legs instead of your back since you won't be leaning over a crib rail. Good luck!!

Momof3Labs
11-22-2009, 01:44 PM
Can you work with them on getting themselves in and out of the crib? Perhaps putting a stool in the crib (ONLY when you are right there) to help them climb out onto a kitchen chair or something?

Naranjadia
11-22-2009, 11:06 PM
What Lori suggested is probably what I'll do. They can actually leverage their weight so I can get them out more easily. The only times when I am in a bind are when they are sick or uncooperative and I can't lift them to me.

On the other hand, if it means getting 2-3 hours of the evening back, I can suffer.

Wouldn't you know crib tents are on back order everywhere. I checked the paper, but no go. I may have to look at eBay. Some of the reviews on Amazon about the dangers of crib tents and toddlers have me a little freaked out, but I'm trying to keep perspective.

fivi2
11-23-2009, 12:11 PM
We ended up having to separate for naps and falling asleep. We have a tiny house, so one girl goes down in our bed, the other in their bed/room. For naps they stayed there. At night, we move the one from our bed back to their room. (if you dh is home at night to help you move).

Separating them really really helped us!

Good luck!

One other thought is maybe bumping up bedtime. When mine are overtired it takes forever to get them to settle down!

Or they may be ready to give up naps and move to an earlier bedtime. The naps may be keeping them up later. Mine were somewhere between 2.5 and 3 when that set in. Giving up naps was hard (for me) but it was nice to get my evenings back.

bluestar2
11-23-2009, 01:39 PM
We ended up having to separate for naps and falling asleep. We have a tiny house, so one girl goes down in our bed, the other in their bed/room. For naps they stayed there. At night, we move the one from our bed back to their room. (if you dh is home at night to help you move).

Separating them really really helped us!

Good luck!

One other thought is maybe bumping up bedtime. When mine are overtired it takes forever to get them to settle down!

Or they may be ready to give up naps and move to an earlier bedtime. The naps may be keeping them up later. Mine were somewhere between 2.5 and 3 when that set in. Giving up naps was hard (for me) but it was nice to get my evenings back.

Having the room VERY dark helped as well. GL!