PDA

View Full Version : Red, splotchy rash, no fever, REALLY cranky?

amldaley
11-22-2009, 02:50 PM
16 mo dd started a very mild red splotchiness on her back yesterday - so mild that DH and I disagreed that it was even there.

I just came in from running errands to find her with red spotches all over her face and back of neck. Flat splotches - no raised bumps.

She has no fever but she UNBELIEVABLY cranky. The slightest thing is setting her off in to wails and wails of despair. Her voice sounds just a little craggy.

Any thoughts?

sste
11-22-2009, 07:01 PM
Some viruses will cause a rash - - usually mid to end stage. DS had a virus last month, no fever, extreme crankiness, a cough and runny nose, lasted over a week. Toward the end he got a rash which went away with benadryl (dosed for a 2 year old - - you may want to phone your pedi for 16monther). If it is the same virus, he was THEN lactose intolderant for another week so he ended up on lactaid milk and/or soy for about 2 weeks total.

SnuggleBuggles
11-22-2009, 09:08 PM
That sounds like my ds1 right now! ALl of a sudden a splotch showed up on his cheek (went away a few minutes later) but he got super tired and not at all himself. It was absolutely bizarre! I'm hopeful that he'll perk up. I hope your dd does too!!!

Beth

amldaley
11-22-2009, 09:10 PM
Some viruses will cause a rash - - usually mid to end stage. DS had a virus last month, no fever, extreme crankiness, a cough and runny nose, lasted over a week. Toward the end he got a rash which went away with benadryl (dosed for a 2 year old - - you may want to phone your pedi for 16monther). If it is the same virus, he was THEN lactose intolderant for another week so he ended up on lactaid milk and/or soy for about 2 weeks total.

Interesting. DD had "Type A" flu strain (so, could have been H1N1 but no way of knowing) about 2 1/2 weeks ago and they said it could take up to 16 days for her to be completely better - maybe this is the end of that? We gave her Zyrtec (rated for Hives) before bed, so we'll see how she is in the a.m.

hillview
11-22-2009, 09:47 PM
Sounds like a virus. Usually for us it passes in 2-3 days. My doc never does anything. If you are worried, call your doc.
/hillary

DrSally
11-22-2009, 10:38 PM
Prob viral. DD started having red splotches on her cheeks a few days after her H1N1 vax. I just made the connection tonight.

Elilly
11-22-2009, 10:47 PM
Just in case, you might want to give some benadryl and see if that helps. As a momma of a food allergic kiddo, red splotched make me nervous!

purpleeyes
11-22-2009, 11:09 PM
Just in case, you might want to give some benadryl and see if that helps. As a momma of a food allergic kiddo, red splotched make me nervous!

:yeahthat:, exactly!!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
11-23-2009, 01:48 AM
Does it look like she was slapped? Could be Fifth Disease... (http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/hardin/md/dermnet/fifthdisease.html)
AKA Parvovirus.

klwa
11-23-2009, 07:42 AM
Does it look like she was slapped? Could be Fifth Disease... (http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/hardin/md/dermnet/fifthdisease.html)
AKA Parvovirus.

That's what I was thinking, too.

egoldber
11-23-2009, 07:45 AM
The red cheeks is pretty classic Fifth Disease. Very common viral infection. Typically there is a high fever, but neither of my kids get the high fevers associated with the common viral illnesses (Fifth, roseola, etc.) which can make it frustrating to disagnose!

wellyes
11-23-2009, 08:19 AM
DD has Fifth Disease right now, VERY cranky, poor kid. It's a low fever, runny nose and headache. Unpleasant but harmless -- but I do want to send out a **be careful** if you pregnant. Fifth Disease is almost always fine for pregnant women, but there are extra risks so it's worth calling your doc if you are pg. just to double-check that you are (like most adults) immune to Fifth.