PDA

View Full Version : Are you concerned about Holiday Parties and H1N1/flu/germs?

alien_host
11-22-2009, 02:56 PM
I read an article in the Boston Globe about how people are re-thinking holiday parties and family celebrations because of swine flu. One person, who has small kids that haven't gotten the H1N1 vac. said she might cancel her party plans. It got me thinking, it really hadn't crossed my mind before reading it but are people concerned about this?

We host a holiday party for friends and family each year. Generally 30-50 people attend and we have cocktails, hors d'oeuvres and desserts.

Generally I serve shrimp cocktail, cheese platter (wedges of cheese with knives to cut) with grapes, crackers, dips and crudite, hummos, LOTS of finger foods (small apps that are bite sized).

Would this gross you out? Lots of hands reaching for food off platters? I could use toothpicks on some things, put spoons out for the dips (to encourge people to spoon some on their plate?).

Every year I put out forks and none get used. I typically don't serve a lot of things that require a fork. Should I rethink my plans or am I being ridiculous?

I've never been concerned about double dipping (I've never seen it happen here) but sure a lot of hands are touching the food as you reach for a cookie on the platter you are bound to touch another.

Any thoughts?

stella
11-22-2009, 05:01 PM
I am not concerned.
My children go to school; I work in an office with 25 people; we take Communion at church weekly; we have friends over; I go to the grocery store; I go to the movie: I drink after my children; we are flying at both Thanksgiving AND Christmas...

I am not actively seking out the flu or any other sickness, but I don't really believe that we can avoid it by canceling parties. I think that's a bizarre idea.

elliput
11-22-2009, 05:13 PM
I prefer not to live my life in fear of germs, but with regards to a buffet style spread as you mention- I'd be more worried about food poisoning than viruses/germs. There is just no way to completely protect yourself against possible contact with flu and cold germs unless extreme measures are taken, and really, who wants to live like that?

MoJo
11-23-2009, 08:14 AM
I say have your party! And if it helps, you can do what I saw at a local buffet restaurant last week: hand sanitizer available so people can sanitize their hands before and after touching whatever's out there (primarily, those serving utensils that everyone has to touch to get their food, which is probably worse than what you are describing).

The only reason I'm not going to my annual traditional holiday party this year (as a pregnant woman) is that they changed the time and I can't get a sitter.

pinkmomagain
11-23-2009, 09:08 AM
While I would never let the fear of getting sick cancel a party, I think being thoughtful about how to minimize germs being spread is a reasonable thing to do. Even if the host isn't too concerned (like me), many people are very paranoid...so it may make them feel more comfortable at your party. I like the sanitizer idea...in a subtle way. My main concern would be serving utensils....I think I'd try to focus on foods that might not require them and stick toothpicks in canapes and such to make picking up easier.

karenj2
11-23-2009, 10:42 AM
I'm a little bit concerned because my family generally spreads the "Christmas Cold" around every year, but I'm not concerned enough to not attend.

maestramommy
11-23-2009, 02:53 PM
We've not gotten the vax yet (cause it's STILL not available!), and we are invited to a big family dinner on Thursday. There will be kids and toddlers there, as well as older folks. My only concern is that MY kids have a cold, and I am so hoping they dry up by Thursday. Otherwise we WILL be there. We always wash hands before eating. That's all.

elektra
11-23-2009, 03:02 PM
I might put more utensils out like you mentioned, just in case anyone else feels like that is more sanitary. Although IMO I don't think that would matter much as not everyone will use them, people still touch the spoons, etc.
We are hosting Thanksgiving too and both my kids are now sick. I just sent an email to SIL, giving them a heads up as they have a newborn. I just felt like it would be nice to give her a little warning, and leave it up to them if they want to skip coming.
However, I am not canceling because if we don't have it at our house, there is really no place else to have the big family dinner at this year.

HIU8
11-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Ditto. My kids both have colds. It's always at my house--just immediate family and my sister's MIL. I'm going to talk to her about the colds and her MIL may not come (she is in a home and they go and get her and take her out-not a good idea IMHO).

niccig
11-23-2009, 03:09 PM
I'm not avoiding any parties. DS is in school, so he is in contact with more people at his school than at any family party. DS did have the flu, and I'm hoping it was H1N1, so we're done with it. We've also visited family in the past and everyone in the family and close friends got a stomach bug. To avoid the possibility of catching something, we would NEVER have a family get together. We take the normal precautions, and I hope we don't catch something else.

MelissaTC
11-23-2009, 05:02 PM
I am currently planning a party and invited 40 people plus one so there will be many here. Will keep a bottle of hand sanitizer out but other than that, business as usual! :)

MommyAllison
11-23-2009, 05:04 PM
Not worried. I think we have already had h1n1, and we have family gatherings a couple times a month anyway, so the holidays are not that unusual in that respect.

Jen841
11-23-2009, 05:19 PM
Can't live in a bubble. We are social people and are out and about in our community ever day. As long as we are not ill we will attend functions.

We do a lot of hand washing and are avoiding the playlands at the fast food chains and the mall right now.

AnnieW625
11-23-2009, 05:21 PM
No, and for Thanksgiving we are eating at a restaurant we've been to many times and never had a problem with.

ZeeBaby
11-23-2009, 05:34 PM
we decided to do low key with the newborn for Thanksgiving, but will likely do the family christmas party.

alien_host
11-24-2009, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the input. It totally didn't occur to me that the serving spoons/cheese knives could be just as bad as people reaching in.

At least we aren't serving bowls of nuts or chex mix where hands are really "digging in". We will still have our party, I guess I can't worry about everything. Heck alcoholic drinks kills germs right? ;)

I wondered about putting out Purell. Would people find that offensive?

pinkmomagain
11-24-2009, 07:14 PM
I would put a couple of hand sanitizers maybe on a couple of side/lamp tables but not on tables where food is being served or coffee tables...and maybe nice scented ones like from Bath & Body Works? JMHO