PDA

View Full Version : S/O Does your cleaning service bring their own vacuum?

Krisrich
11-22-2009, 05:27 PM
My cleaning service provides all of the cleaning supplies and the vacuum. I have felt a little uncomfortable about the vacuum, even though they use one designated pet-free for homes without pets like me. Something about it just grosses me out, but I can't articulate what. I'm thinking about just asking them to use mine, but mine is big and HEAVY and we have a 2 story house. Anyway, anyone else feel this way about shared vacuums or am i over-reacting?

egoldber
11-22-2009, 05:31 PM
They do, but they also use mine. It's just a speed thing I think. Also they prefer to use theirs for the steps (mine is an upright).

I seriously don't understand what the problem is with them bringing in a vacuum? But I have realized that my gross out factor must be way lower than most people's LOL!!!

Twoboos
11-22-2009, 05:35 PM
We have central vac, so for a while they used ours. Now there's something wrong with ours, so they bring their own. I'm fine with it, never crossed my mind to be grossed out! It's doing a better job than our crappy cvac was.

SnuggleBuggles
11-22-2009, 05:36 PM
They do, but they also use mine. It's just a speed thing I think. Also they prefer to use theirs for the steps (mine is an upright).

I seriously don't understand what the problem is with them bringing in a vacuum? But I have realized that my gross out factor must be way lower than most people's LOL!!!

:yeahthat: to all- they bring their own; they will use mine; not grossed out either way. :)

Beth

nupe
11-22-2009, 05:38 PM
The service has a vacuum, but I prefer to use my own. In fact I bought one for each floor so they would not have to lug it around. The cleaners liked one vacuum better so they only use that one and carry it up and down the stairs.

I do think it is gross to use someone else's vacuum.

I've only let the cleaners use their vacuum when mine was at the vacuum shop for maintenance. And yes, I try to get my vacuum cleaned and checked out annually.

kristac
11-22-2009, 05:40 PM
I don't often have the luxury of a cleaning service but when I do I like for them to bring thier own equipment and i like it to be BETTER then mine. I was very disappointed when my last cleaner showed up with the same cheapy bissell I have. I want them to have a dyson or something. I want to feel like they are doing a better job cleaning then I would.

alexsmommy
11-22-2009, 07:23 PM
Depends on the service. On I use asks when I book - do I need them to bring a vacuum. I always say no and they use ours. The other one I use does - it's one that the person who vacuums can wear on his/her back (this is a team of four) and has a crazy long cord.

hillview
11-22-2009, 08:40 PM
They use mine and I prefer it that way.
/hillary

michellerw
11-22-2009, 08:46 PM
Our lady brings her own vacuum. I've asked her to use ours, because it sucks up the cat fur better, but it's too heavy for her to lug up the steps. So we decided it was easier for her to vacuum with our vacuum on the main floor and hers elsewhere. Honestly, I can't imagine being grossed out. If the vacuum works properly (and they all do -- we just have three cats!), then it's really no big deal.

3SweetPeas
11-23-2009, 12:52 AM
I hate to be a downer, but I would definitely have them use your vacuum. There are a lot of thing that are not trapped by a vacuum's filter, can be picked up at someone else's house, and then blown back out at your house. Ringworm spores are one example (I know this because years ago we purchased a purebred Devon Rex cat that came from the breeder with ringworm, and there began a year-long battle trying to eliminate the darned fungus). Talk about a nightmare. It's amazing what those little spores can survive! So I imagine it would be the same with a lot of types of fungus, bacteria, viruses, etc. Even the thought of the rollers of the vacuum rolling over someone else's carpet and who knows what, and then rolling over my floor would be enough to make me say, "Please use mine!" Same goes for dust rags. I am a bit of a germ nut though! :)

caheinz
11-23-2009, 01:09 AM
Depends on the service. On I use asks when I book - do I need them to bring a vacuum. I always say no and they use ours. The other one I use does - it's one that the person who vacuums can wear on his/her back (this is a team of four) and has a crazy long cord.

Ours always brings one like this.

The canister is actually pretty small, and I'm pretty sure they empty it before they leave. What's the problem with them bringing one?

shawnandangel
11-23-2009, 01:37 AM
[QUOTE= What's the problem with them bringing one?[/QUOTE]

Eww. All I can imagine is the cleaning lady vacuuming a house with fleas and then coming to my house and emptying out the can. *shiver*

I don't have a cleaning service, but if I did, I would insist they use my vacuum. Plus, I do not like canisters that can be emptied in the trash. All of that dust just flies back into the air. (And fleas, and mites, and bed bugs, roaches, anything really)

Even if they empty it at the person's home, I'd be suprised if they took the time to actually clean the canister with bleach and water or some other cleaner.

OP, I'd be freaked out too and ask them to use yours. You are paying them, you are the employer. They should do the job to your liking.

maestramommy
11-23-2009, 08:28 AM
Both cleaners I interviewed have their own cleaning supplies, including vacuum. They are willing to use mine, but I have a central vac, which cleans *okay*, but it's kinda a pain. So I was going to let them use their vac for a while, and see how it goes.