PDA

View Full Version : Anybody had a nasty cough/congestion sickness?

ThreeofUs
11-22-2009, 09:52 PM
So here I am with two kids - DH being in once/day phone contact and thankful for that! - and all of us have a heavy cough, much congestion, can't eat, can't sleep. No fever, though, and bright eyes. But it's been going on for 2 weeks now, and I'm a wreck and I have no help coming in this coming week because of the holiday.

Has anyone had something like this? If so, how long has it lasted? And, did you find any comfort measures that really worked?

TIA - cough, cough!

hillview
11-22-2009, 09:55 PM
DS has had this for about 2 weeks. He now has a fever (low grade) not SICK sick but still coughing. Hope this isn't what you are in for!
/hillary

Melaine
11-22-2009, 10:00 PM
Ugh this sounds like what we have had but we are just completing week 1. I haven't really had trouble sleeping because I took Niquil for the last few nights. One of DDs had some croup last night but seems better today.

dcmom2b3
11-22-2009, 10:06 PM
Vaporizers and Vics Baby Rub. All day. I wonder what my colleagues must think of my new "perfume."

DrSally
11-22-2009, 10:36 PM
Honey is supposed to help a cough, but I would give DS a spoonful of honey before bed and then have to brush his teeth b/c of the sugar. I don't think it really lasts all that long. Are you using a humidifier for the congestion? When we get congestion, I like to steam up the bathroom by running the shower on hot in the smallest bathroom and closing the door. I then give the kids a bath and keep the door closed so they can breathe in the steam. Do you have to work from home this week? I hope not. Just try to do the bare minimum!

jess_g
11-22-2009, 11:17 PM
We are stuck home with these same symptoms. First we had the flu and then it went strainght into this cough and runny noise and stuffy head symptoms. I am hoping it will go away soon and we can all get back to normal. My boys have not been in school since Veterens day. We are going to try to send them in tomorow, depending on how they are doing in the morning.

Jessica.

elektra
11-23-2009, 12:18 AM
So it lasts two weeks, huh? GREAT. DD came down with something like this yesterday.

Tondi G
11-23-2009, 12:23 AM
only thing that works for us when we have that type of thing is chicken soup, tea and motrin during the day. At night the kids get a dose of benedryl and delsym cough medicine at bedtime. Helps dry up the post nasal drip and calm the cough. 2 weeks is a long time to be sick and still suffering. Think it could warrant a trip to the doctor? Just to make sure there isn't a sinus infection or bronchitis or something that needs to be treated? I've heard good things about rubbing vicks vapo-rub on feet at night and putting socks on.

Hope you guys get outta the sickness cloud soon.

egoldber
11-23-2009, 08:07 AM
I definitely think you should see the doctor. It could be bronchitis, bronchiolitis or a sinus infection. Nothing better than dragging two sick kids to the doctor when you're sick yourself. :hug:

jess_g
11-23-2009, 08:16 AM
Thanks pp, we have been to the doctors and she said that its just a cold. The lungs sound fine and the ears look fine too. I think its just going to linger in their systems some more. I think the dry air in the house is not helping any so we are going to run a humidifyer. All of these suggestions posted sound great.

Jessica.

zoestargrove
11-23-2009, 09:43 AM
We're on week 2, but our symptoms aren't as bad. Not sure if its anything we're doing or if we just got dealt a milder form of this.

I've been doubling our vitamin C dose and giving the kids elderberry syrup every day. Also honey for the cough - lots of water, juice and chicken soup and saline spray (or neti pot for me) to treat the congestion).

Twice I thought this was gone -only to have the symptoms reappear the next day.

Hope you are all feeling better soon.

Kelly

HIU8
11-23-2009, 11:27 AM
I've had this for 4 weeks now. DD and DS have have it for 2 weeks. DS's just exploded into yellow mucus (it was clear). We are headed to the ENT on Wednesday b/c the ped keeps saying their throats and tonsils are red and inflammed, but no strep. It's just a cold and go home--this is the 3rd just a cold since September. Something has got to give......

PAfirsttimemom
11-23-2009, 11:35 AM
My DS is on week three with this cold. He's been sick more often than not this fall--his first year of preschool. Ny other DS and DH and I are sick right now, too. You've been given good suggestions on treatments from everyone. Just wanted to add another post to say you are not alone. There are some nasty germs out there right now. I feel like my favorite saying lately is DAMN GERMS! Hang in there.

catpagmo
11-23-2009, 12:02 PM
He's been sick more often than not this fall--his first year of preschool.

Same for my DD. It seems like she's been sick ever since the end of summer/start of preschool. Her first year, too. Ugh! We are on week #2 for this cold.

Hope everyone feels better soon!

BigDog
11-23-2009, 12:32 PM
I've had this for almost two weeks now. DH and DS caught it after me but it wasn't as bad, and they're pretty much back to normal now. The first 2 days I was out of commission - thought I had the flu. But then the aches subsided and I was left with a terrible post-nasal drip and cough. Went to the doctor's and he suspected it was a sinus infection and prescribed me an antibiotic and Nasacort. I'm still slightly coughing but am waaay better than I was 2 weeks ago.

ThreeofUs
11-23-2009, 12:37 PM
My gosh. Sound like a lot of us have it.

Pediatrician checked them this morning, and said all's clear. No ear, lung, or throat problems. All the secretions are basically clear or light, so no infection.

I swear, I've been wondering if we have walking pneumonia or something.

We're doing the vaporizer thing, but I don't like to give the boys anything that will inhibit their histamine system - even if it means we have to sit in the bathroom with the shower running a couple times a night.

Wish they drank chicken soup. Hmmm... maybe I can make some chicken soup rice for DS1. DS2 will probably eat anything. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll tell you though, I'm about to call a nanny agency and get help in NOW. No support at all this week, and I've been finding myself in tears, not knowing if I can make it all by myself. Weak, I know, but I'm sick. :)

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

AnnieW625
11-23-2009, 12:42 PM
I've never had a fever, but had an upper respiratory infection last week that involved a lot of runny nose, a little wheezing, and sinus congestion. I believe I am finally passed the worst part. Robitussin Cough and Cold night time was my savior. My dr. did want me to stay home from work for two days to relax.

zoestargrove
11-23-2009, 01:27 PM
alphabet pasta is what finally convinced my son to try chicken soup. He loves it now.

jess_g
11-23-2009, 01:53 PM
So are you all keeping your kids home from school for weeks with this?

My boys have been home since last Wensday and I feel bad about them missing so much shcool but I can't send them in sounding so awful. They would just get sent home anyway. Thankfully they are not misserable any more just tired and congested.

Thanks,

Jessica.

HIU8
11-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Both DD and DS have gone to preschool. They are both still active and not at all lethargic. DS's mucus just turned yucky yellow today, so he may be home tomorrow if the tiredness and general yuckiness follows it. Luckily we are headed to the ENT on Wednesday anyway.

ThreeofUs
11-23-2009, 04:21 PM
So are you all keeping your kids home from school for weeks with this?

DS1 seems to be pretty okay most days, so I sent him to school today. He managed to get dizzy when getting up during library, though, so home (and to the docs) he came.

Doctor said a virus can slow your body's response when you get up, so that dizziness is not a big deal (at least in this case). He did a full neurological test to make sure, though! :)

wendibird22
11-23-2009, 04:48 PM
DD and I have had it for a week now. I've been sending DD to daycare because though the cough sounds bad, her nose isn't gunky and no fever and her appetite and demeanor are fine. I stayed home one day last week because the sinus pressure was the worst and given that I'm pregnant I think it hit me harder than DD. This cough has shredded what little I have left of stomach muscles and it feels like I'm being stabbed in the abdomen each time I cough. I warned my coworkers that I wasn't going into labor!

SummerBaby
11-23-2009, 05:19 PM
My DD2 has had it for over a week now. She ended up with a high fever the past 3 days, so the ped today gave her Zithromax, because she was getting worse instead of better. DD1 has it too, but so far no fever with her. This is after we had probable h1n1 and pneumonia in October. This is the FIFTH cold/flu DD1 has brought home since starting Kindergarten in September. It really seems like a tough cold/flu season so far. I can't imagine going all winter like this!

Val
DD1 7/04
DD2 7/07

lablover
11-23-2009, 06:06 PM
I'm really relieved after reading this thread. My DD is going on week 3 of a postnasal drip cough. Lately she has been sleeping through the night cough free but last night she reverted and started with the coughing fits, which seem to be caused by a tickle in the throat. She is my allergy/asthma child so I was beginning to worry that we are dealing with new allergies because it has been going on for so long. She is otherwise fine and her chest is clear. Then last week DS came down with a cold. And I now have started with a cough from a tickle in the throat. So I'm hoping she is getting back to back viruses or it's just one drawn out virus and it will eventually clear up! I'm getting really depressed thinking that the whole winter could be like this!

Melaine
11-24-2009, 10:02 AM
Ugh. I am really getting tired of this. I feel just as bad today as I have before. I don't know that I have ever had so much un-ending congestion and waking up every morning with a sinus headache. Not to mention the endless coughing (although that's nothing new)....I'm starting to dread the whole Thanksgiving trip, just not sure I will feel up to it without some serious sleep between now and then.