PDA

View Full Version : Product for curly hair for kids?

marit
11-22-2009, 11:04 PM
I am asking this on behalf of a good friend of mine. He DD has thick curly hair that is impossible to brush. She just cut it a wee bit too short (about shoulder length) and now it puffs up. Is there a hair product, preferably natural, that could work for her DD (7 yo)? The girl has sensitive skin, so preferably something "whole Foods" like...

Thanks!

ellies mom
11-22-2009, 11:33 PM
I like California Baby Leave-in Conditioner. I use it as both conditioner and shampoo. Basically, I use it twice and don't rinse very well the second time. I also use a dab straight onto damp hair in the morning before I comb it. I also like Aveda's Be Curly. I work a bit of that in after I get the snarls out.

But first I recommend that she buy the book Curly Girl. If she is complaining that it is impossible to brush, she probably need to learn more about curly hair care. Brushes and curly hair are not friends. :shake:

reissgirl
11-23-2009, 12:49 AM
I was just at a local kid's salon and they had a whole bunch of natural curly hair products for kids, including detangler, gel, etc.

This is a link that shows one of the product lines they carry. They also had another very organic, natural curl line but I don't remember the name. You can call them to find out.

http://www.salonkidsclub.com/salonin/salonservices.html

alirebco
11-23-2009, 12:58 AM
check out naturallycurly.com. they have kids lines and reviews on there too.

Roleysmom
11-23-2009, 02:10 AM
check out naturallycurly.com. they have kids lines and reviews on there too.

This is a great recommendation. The site has great information and this article may be helpful to your friend:http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curlykids/cozys-corner-which-products-to-use-in-my-childs-curly-hair.

She definitely should not brush her child's hair. (Ah, that brings back bad memories for me. Ouch!) She should only comb it when it's wet. The site will have more information and help her figure out her child's hair type.

Melaine
11-23-2009, 05:23 AM
I like California Baby Leave-in Conditioner. I use it as both conditioner and shampoo.

Which conditioner do you recommend?

http://www.californiababy.com/hair-body.html

Clarity
11-23-2009, 09:30 AM
She definitely should not brush her child's hair. (Ah, that brings back bad memories for me. Ouch!) She should only comb it when it's wet. The site will have more information and help her figure out her child's hair type.

DD1 has curly hair...I have to ask, how do you care for it dry if not to brush it? I don't wash dd's hair in the a.m. but I have to run a brush through her hair before I send her off to school. I know I'm supposed to use a comb, but sometimes I think that hurts her MORE. How do you deal with their hair in the a.m.?

Melaine
11-23-2009, 09:34 AM
DD1 has curly hair...I have to ask, how do you care for it dry if not to brush it? I don't wash dd's hair in the a.m. but I have to run a brush through her hair before I send her off to school. I know I'm supposed to use a comb, but sometimes I think that hurts her MORE. How do you deal with their hair in the a.m.?

I think a wide-tooth comb or pick is recommended over a brush or comb. I definitely have trouble with my girls, I tend to only comb it out when washing once a week. The rest of the time I just let it be "crazy" as they say.

AbbysMom
11-23-2009, 09:36 AM
My daughter has very curly hair. Every time we go out, people tell me how much they love it but it is so hard to care for! Every morning, I spray her hair with water and then finger comb or use a regular comb. Otherwise it is a horrible mess.

ellies mom
11-23-2009, 12:33 PM
I spray it with a water bottle and then work a little bit of watered down leave in conditioner into it before I comb it. I use a very wide tooth comb. I would say the teeth are about 1/4" apart.

ellies mom
11-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Which conditioner do you recommend?

http://www.californiababy.com/hair-body.html

I use the Calming Conditioner (http://www.californiababy.com/calming-hair-conditioner-8-5-oz.html). It is expensive but a little does go a long way. I like it because it is very light, so it doesn't drag her hair down or build up. I also like the "no tears" aspect. I've tried their detangler but honestly it doesn't work as well as the conditioner watered down. It is probably fine for straight hair but it doesn't moisturize enough for curly hair. I do work it straight into Ellie's hair now but when she was younger, I would sometimes put some into a spray bottle with water. That reminds me, I need to get a new bottle and try that with Audrey.

HIU8
11-23-2009, 12:54 PM
:yeahthat: DD has the very big ringlets and not the really tight curls, so it is big corkscrews all over her head. In the morning we spray with water and then I use a very very very light leave in conditioner that I spray super sparingly so as not to weigh down her hair. If I don't do this DD's hair ends up looking like a rats nest.

Roleysmom
11-23-2009, 01:32 PM

It's a good question. I've only dealt with curly hair from the perspective of someone with it, not from the perspective of a parent (although the jury's out on the 11-week-old's hair.) I forgot about the taking a bath at night when you are little problem.

You got great advice from others. I totally agree with the spraying it with water and maybe using a little conditioner. When I can't wet my hair in the morning, I finger comb it, rather than using any kind of comb, so I would go with finger combing, rather than a regular comb. But if you do use a comb, the other posters' suggestions of a wide tooth one sounds good. I would first try finger combing it, though.

Oh, I'll add one more thing too. Yes, the combing when it's dry probably does hurt more than brushing. The issue is both -- especially the brushing -- are changing the texture of her hair and making it frizzy. The brushing (at least on me) is not really getting at the knots, and just fuzzying up the top layers. The combing will get through the knots but man does that hurt! Finger combing will get at the knots and make it a little calmer looking while not completely fuzzying it out -- although it will fuzz it out some.