PDA

View Full Version : Portrait Innovations- question about your experience there

SnuggleBuggles
11-23-2009, 12:10 AM
Question for those who use them often. We went in b/c of this coupon and they were so insanely pushy that it was a big turn off. I don't spend a lot for pictures, it isn't my thing. So, I was very clear and told them that I was looking to spend no more than $60-70 (already a splurge that day for me). They refused to just show me things in that range. They insisted in starting off showing me the complete full package which would contain sheets for every single picture they took- $900. Then they just kept making me eliminate pictures then showing me the next package ("this is a great one and only $540!"). It was long and tedious and it was making me irate b/c I had a very cranky toddler by that point! I had tried to be honest and up front about my budget but I guess they thought if I saw how great the pics were that I would suddenly decide that $200 was a fine amount to spend on pictures. I'm sure that they get plenty of people that do that so they have learned to ignore "firm" budgets. I almost walked away though. The photo selections took 30 minutes, I felt rushed and cheap. I hated the experience.

I also hated that it was a surprise for my mom and I know had she been there she would have bought more. However, b/c my budget was so low I was not given access to the pictures once I left there. Sears, for example, will let you go onto their website and order more pictures for the next few months. I know my mom would have loved to seen and purchase some of the ones that I had to cut. It makes little sense to me why they won't give you that sort of access. The only way I could have gotten access (photo cd?) was to spend $80. I didn't want to spend $80- $60 was already a stretch.

I really do like the pictures we bought but I won't be going back unless I hear that my experience wasn't typical.

Be prepared to possibly sit through a long, painful photo selection process if you really are just going to get that one pose that comes with the coupon.

The picture taking portion was like the Picture People where they insist on doing close ups, different colored backgrounds and all sorts of predetermined shots. I only wanted the boys together but they kept insisting on these individual pictures.

Beth

drako
11-23-2009, 12:18 AM
I have used Portrait Innovations and have not had a bad experience. They never brought up the $900 package. We have always purchased the package with 6 poses (I think). I believe it is a little over $100 and the CD with all the photos is included. We have such a hard time narrowing down the photos because there are usually so many good pictures. I am glad I have the CD so I can have more made up. You just can't make 8x10s. I have been curious to try Sears Portrait but haven't yet. That stinks that you had a bad experience and I probably wouldn't go back if I was made to feel that way.

ohiomom1121
11-23-2009, 12:20 AM
What a bummer to hear....we've gone to Kiddie Kandids for almost every portrait session (after a horrible first experience with Picture People) and have been really happy, but I was thinking of trying somewhere new. (new backgrounds, new poses etc). But $900-seriously? I've taken the kids to an amazing professional photographer and never been pressured to spend anywhere near that amount of money!!! I'm interested to hear what others have to say.

ohiomom1121
11-23-2009, 12:22 AM
You just can't make 8x10s.
Why can't you make 8x10s? Are they giving you a low resolution cd?

almostamom
11-23-2009, 02:38 AM
We went to Portrait Innovations a week ago and had a very different experience. I didn't even know they had a $900 package - or any package for that matter. We had been there two years ago and had a good experience then although DS was not a cooperative subject. This year he was awesome, and our photographer was awesome. She listened to the poses I wanted and didn't want and was great at engaging DS. She took 87 shots. I was overwhelmed, but it was nice to have so many good shots to choose from for a change. (Two years ago we had to really crop some pictures to get a decent one since DS wouldn't sit still.) I do wish she would have slowed down a bit when we were choosing pictures. As I went through our pictures tonight, I got way too many 5 x 7s and should have picked the 3.5 x 5s instead. Our photographer was really good about helping me save money and narrow down the pictures. I walked out spending about $180, but that included 100 Christmas cards. Last year I spent that much on just our cards, so I felt pretty good. Excluding our cards and Christmas photos, I think I spent about $70.

I'm sorry your experience wasn't a good one.

Linda

baileygirl
11-23-2009, 03:05 AM
We have gotten pictures there several times (with mixed results) and every time they start off with all the pictures (total varies depending on how many pictures there are) and we have to sit there and narrow down the pictures. Usually, we get at least the $80 package so we can have the cd. One time I took my then 1 year-old (by myself) to get pictures taken. I wanted birthday and Christmas pictures taken, but it didn't work out. In the middle of the shoot the photographer had to go deal with an upset client (upset that if they left the store they wouldn't be able to pick pictures later) which took an extra half hour. By the time it came to picking out pictures, my child wanted to have nothing to do with the process...so we had to leave. They also wouldn't let me come back later to pick out pictures, so we ended up with nothing. That said, some of my favorite pictures of ds1 were taken there (we also have used private photographers).

nfowife
11-23-2009, 03:24 AM
I would call a manager and complain. We've never had that kind of experience at PI. Usually they take a bunch of shots and then I go through them with the sales person and quickly delete any bad ones. Then I go through the "maybes" and decide which of those to toss out. Then I narrow down from there. Usually I end up with one of the $10 and maybe a few other poses I want. I have gone in before for a holiday pic before (like valentines or halloween) specifically looking for one good picture and walked away with only the $10 package. They didn't seem upset and weren't pushy.
I had one bad experience there when I had an appointment for family pictures and they overbooked and we ended up waiting an extremely long time for our session- well over an hour. By then, my kids were no longer happy and ready for pictures so we barely got any good ones (this was when DS was an infant). I was so upset and talked to the manager about how disappointing this was, what a big deal it was to get our whole family ready, make an appt., etc. They ended up letting me choose my favorite pose from that day and gave me the package for free. And it is a pretty good family picture after all.
Whatever they give you on the disk can be reprinted at the store, you just bring it in and tell them what you want printed and they will be able to print at full resolution. Just the ones not on the disk they don't keep.

Melaine
11-23-2009, 05:12 AM
I wasn't impressed with PI at all, but more because of the photography aspect than the sales pitch. They honestly couldn't do much of a sales pitch after the pathetic shots they got. It was difficult finding ONE shot I wanted. But ITA you should complain. That's ridiculous, no matter where you go they should be polite and understanding about your budget.

LKMang
11-23-2009, 06:17 AM
I think it just shows that all locations are different. We have used PI twice (DS was 2 months and 11 months) and have had amazing experiences. Once they upload the pictures, they always have said to me, if you wanted to order all the them, the price is some insane amount. We always sort of laugh about it and beginning to narrow them down. I have never had them be pushy at all. I have honestly told them at times, I wish I could buy these, but we need to narrow down more. That being said, both times I went, I did go over what I originally budgeted, which was mainly because the pictures came out so good! I'm sorry you had a bad experience and I would definitely give a call to the manager tomorrow.

jamesmom
11-23-2009, 07:18 AM
Sorry you had a bad experience! We never had an experience like that at my local PI, and we have been there a lot. Honestly they have taken some of the best pictures of my kids and especially of DD, who usually abhors cameras. I've never had the photographer push packages on me, and they have never started out with the $500 package. I didn't even know there was one!

I think it really depends on the location and the photographer you get, unfortunately. I agree with PPs that you should complain about your experience to the manager, because it shouldn't have been this unpleasant.

brittone2
11-23-2009, 08:00 AM
I think like any franchise, your experience will vary with how good the photographers are and how they approach the sales pitch.

We've used PI a lot in the past few years and they've gotten some fantastic shots of my kids. We usually end up spending $100+, but mostly because *I* can't decide on pics because we usually get some great ones that I can't pass up. I've never had them press me or make me feel uncomfortable.

SnuggleBuggles
11-23-2009, 08:26 AM
Interesting.

I still dislike that on the spot I have to discard pictures. It feels so rushed! I would love to have the ability to leisurely go through the pictures, perhaps with other family members (like dh, who was at work that day). It sounds like one part of the experience that I disliked- the 30 minute cut session, is non-negotiable regardless of which PI I go to. I mean, they do that at Sears and such too but the feel is different...maybe because they are repeatedly telling me how the $200 package is truly a great deal. roll eyes. I maybe could have been a $200 person had I not been stuck there with a grumpy toddler! I know I would have easily spent another $50 if I could have left and ordered more later.

This was back in Sept. and I just wrote it off as not the kind of place for me. I was vocal and clear the entire process and I was the only customer that day so the manager of the day was there to see this all in action.

Thanks for the feedback. I still don't think I am up for a return trip there but it's good to know it could be better.

Beth

MoJo
11-23-2009, 08:44 AM
I've never been to PI, but I will say that I always go back to Sears on a different day to choose pictures I want to order. I just did so yesterday, actually. They prefer that I set an appointment to do so, but it's not required. And they just explain their packages and point out what they consider to be nice pictures. Nobody's ever pressured me to do anything. They suggest things, and they do like to take pictures of different groupings than I asked for (one of which I actually bought, because DH likes kissing pics, even if it's me kissing DD). But no pressure.

Sears does a BOGO if you get the pictures taken on Monday through Thursday (I think) if you are in their Smile Saver or Super Saver program, so I always take DD during those less busy times, then try to get DH to stop in some other time so he can see the pics.

I've always thought it was disappointing that you can't see the pictures online until AFTER you place your order. And I was frustrated that they wouldn't let me use my free collage coupon, after I spent time reading all the fine print on all my coupons to find the only one that DIDN'T say that it couldn't be combined with other discounts. But that issue is nothing compared to what you're talking about.

I was extra happy that three different photographers all helped with our most recent session, since we scheduled for first thing in the morning and no one else was there yet.

SnuggleBuggles
11-23-2009, 08:56 AM
I was extra happy that three different photographers all helped with our most recent session, since we scheduled for first thing in the morning and no one else was there yet.

I had that experience at both Sears and PI and it was wonderful. At PI they still weren't fast enough or organized enough to get some shots. THe photographer was so wrapped up in her mental checklist that she missed some fabulous candids, like the boys kissing each other.

The day that we had 3 helpers at Sears was the best though- one to change props, one to keep snapping and one to encourage smiles. Quick, painless and lots of good pics. :)

Beth

JTsMom
11-23-2009, 09:08 AM
I've had pretty good luck with Picture People. I usually do pics at Christmas and DS's b-day, and each time I get 3 or 4 8X10's only. Although they always bring out giant, framed photos, I say, "Those are cute, but I just want to order a few 8X10's", and that's the end of it. I went to a different location this time, and they pushed a teeny bit harder, but it was just along the lines of "We have this package that incluedes X, Y and Z", and they dropped it when I repeated that I was not interested in a package.

I join their Portrait Club, which I think is $40/year, and that gives me 3 free 8X10's, 3 $10 credits, and free enhancements. I always use one of their free 8X10 + 25% off coupons as well, and I make sure I time the pics so that I can get 2 Christmases and 1 b-day, or 2 b-days/1 Christmas out of the membership. If I buy 3 8X10's, I can get out for under $10, plus 1/3 of the membership- so another $13 I guess).

They put the pics online, so I can go back and order more if I want to. They do have you narrow them down while you're sitting there (which is why I try to drag DH with me so he can take DS to play somewhere), but that's just so you can order what you want. I can do it pretty quickly- I throw out all of the definite no's, then look at each particular "theme"- close-ups, ones with a certain prop, whatever, and chose the best from that category.

boolady
11-23-2009, 10:30 AM
I think like any franchise, your experience will vary with how good the photographers are and how they approach the sales pitch.

We've used PI a lot in the past few years and they've gotten some fantastic shots of my kids. We usually end up spending $100+, but mostly because *I* can't decide on pics because we usually get some great ones that I can't pass up. I've never had them press me or make me feel uncomfortable.

:yeahthat: At this point, I wouldn't go anywhere but the one PI we've used for holiday photos for the last two years. Our experiences have been exactly as described above; however, I'm sure not every location is the same, by far.

Tanya
11-23-2009, 01:35 PM
I've been to Portrait Innovations 5 times. The first 3 times were for family pictures (1st and 3rd were with my parents and sister too), so because we rarely have family pictures taken, we did buy a few poses and got the cd, etc.

Then, at Halloween, I took my two girls to PI to get the $9.95 package of them in their costumes. Well, when I explained that I just wanted the $9.95 package of them together, the lady got a bit nasty and said that I would not be able to get that package again until after the holidays and that the $9.95 package is really just supposed to be an "add on" package. I said it was not advertised that way and she said that is because they use it just to get people in the door. Well, I'm IN THE DOOR AND THAT'S ALL I WANT! Oh, and she never gave me the 6 photocards!

My mom made an appointment at a different location in HER name and we took the girls in and got Christmas pictures and I walked out with only the $9.95 package and not one word was said. I also got the photocards with the package.

So, it totally depends on who you get and the location. I don't mind spending a little money when we rarely have the entire family together, but when I'm just getting pictures of my girls which I do fairly often, I only need the $9.95 package and that gives me plenty of pictures. Mess with me and I'll be back at JCPenney doing their $7.99 package - $3 survey coupon making it about $5.

inmypjs
11-23-2009, 11:17 PM
We've used PI quite a bit over the years, and I agree that it really does vary depending on who you get. For a little while, there was a photographer we liked and so we asked for him, but he eventually quit. I think the turnover is fairly high.

I have not had an overly pushy person before, though I have had some not so great photographers. My typical purchase is to buy 4 poses - 3 sheets of 3 poses, plus the 9.95 special. This gives me a ton of pics and is the minimum you need to get the picture CD.

I am up front about what I plan to purchase, and the people I've had have seemed okay with that, but I have noticed that they still go through the higher priced options. I think they are required to. I've also told them before the shoot that we don't need certain groupings of people - for example maybe we are there for family pics and I don't want pics of each child individually. But they have to take pics of each person/grouping present.

I agree with the recommendation of calling a manager about your experience. Maybe the feedback can be used to help that person become less pushy!

WatchingThemGrow
11-23-2009, 11:56 PM
:yeahthat:
KatieG, you said everything I mean to succinctly. Thanks!
That's exactly what we get, and we plan what kinds of shots we want to buy - one head shot (the special), a different look head shot, a full-body and maybe a b/w, artsy shot or something.

I hope, OP, that you'll give them another chance. Once you learn how their system works, which includes the "promotional periods" that a PP had issues getting the special more than 1x, it really is a fabulous place. Every time I go to the other places I want to :banghead: