PDA

View Full Version : How do you cook ham?

neeter
11-23-2009, 08:58 AM
Title says it all -- we've gotten honeybaked ham in the past. This year I'd like to try it on my own, but don't know what to do! Thanks!!

DebbieJ
11-23-2009, 11:29 AM
Ham is already cooked, so you are essentially just heating it up.

Buy a spiral ham. Most come with a glaze packet that you mix up and pour over the ham. Then follow the heating instructions on the label. It's really easy!

mousemom
11-23-2009, 12:50 PM
As the pp said, ham is pretty easy. We normally just put in a roasting pan with a little water and cover with foil. Cook at temp. in the directions. Only tricks we have found are to make sure that foil is sealed well (now I fold over the edges in the middle) to keep the moisture in and, in our oven at least, we find that it generally takes a bit longer to cook then the directions say, so may need to plan for that. My MIL normally rinses the ham to remove some of the salt, but I always forget to do that.

lizzywednesday
11-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Some people go really fancy and score the outside, stick cloves in the corners and then stick pineapple slices on top (my family won't skip the cloves) and most glazes are kind of nasty.

Good Eats did a ham show a while back:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/good-eats/ham-i-am/index.html

(Dang, I'm good.)

neeter
11-24-2009, 09:17 AM
Thanks so much for the tips and the links! I don't know why I'm always intimidated by ham, but this year I'm gonna try it!! :)