PDA

View Full Version : How would you have handled this?

WitMom
11-23-2009, 11:42 AM
We had DD's birthday party yesterday at Build-a-Bear. There were 6 other girls invited, and I had talked with all of the girls' moms and confirmed that all 6 would be able to attend. The party was to start at 1:00. At 1:15, one of the girls still had not shown up, so we decided to go ahead without her. As all of the girls were finishing up, and I was paying, the dad and the little girl showed up, apologizing profusely for being late. The little girl was crying and obviously very sad to have missed out on the party. We were just getting ready to leave Build-A-Bear to go have cookies and milk in the mall food court. I of course told the little girl she was welcome to join us for that, or if she wanted, my husband would stay behind (so he could pay) with her and her dad so she could make a bear. Her dad decided that they would join us for cookies, and he would take her back on his own to do the bear. I just feel soooo bad about the whole situation. How should we have handled it or what should we have done differently?

cdlamis
11-23-2009, 11:46 AM
I would have offered exactly what you did and as the parent of the late child I would have done what the dad chose to do. Don't feel bad! You waited for her and needed to tend to the rest of the party. I hate situations like that and tend to overworry too. Hope you had a great time!

sunshine873
11-23-2009, 11:48 AM
I think you reacted perfectly. You had a start time and you waited a few minutes past that. It's not fair to expect a bunch of excited little girls to sit around and wait when you don't actually know if someone is going to show or not.

It was nice of you to still offer to pay for a bear for the girl, and I'm also thrilled to hear that her dad stepped up to the plate and took responsibility for being late by letting her join the party at the point it was at and buying her a bear on his own after the fact.

egoldber
11-23-2009, 11:49 AM
I think what you did was fine. This was their problem, not yours. Hope it didn't spoil her day!

Kungjo
11-23-2009, 12:16 PM
What you did was fine. The little girl was upset to have missed the party, but it wasn't your responsibility to have her there on time. You even waited a bit. It would not have been fair to make everyone wait for her. Her father understood and in the end, I'm sure that she got a bear too. I don't think that I would have handled it differently. You did fine.

MamaMolly
11-23-2009, 01:02 PM
I agree. I don't think you could nor should have done anything differently. I'm guessing from your post that the girl was well over 15 minutes late, since you guys were finishing up. Waiting for her in the beginning was very kind. As much as we hate to see the kids hurt in a situation like that you did what you could. The burden rests on her parents, not you.

infomama
11-23-2009, 01:14 PM
I think what you did was really nice. Perhaps the Dad chose not to stay behind because he wanted his Dd to be with the other girls.

bluestar2
11-23-2009, 01:16 PM
I think you handled it well. I would have done the same.

Tondi G
11-23-2009, 01:38 PM
sounds to me like you handled it perfectly!

alexsmommy
11-23-2009, 01:39 PM
I think you handled it great and I think they handled it great.

JTsMom
11-23-2009, 01:42 PM
I would have offered exactly what you did and as the parent of the late child I would have done what the dad chose to do. Don't feel bad! You waited for her and needed to tend to the rest of the party. I hate situations like that and tend to overworry too. Hope you had a great time!
:yeahthat:

Momof3Labs
11-23-2009, 02:51 PM
I think you handled it great and I think they handled it great.

:yeahthat:

dogmom
11-23-2009, 03:09 PM
Not only did you handle it well, so did the girl's father. It was correct for him to have her join her friends and then make it up to her with a bear. Nice to see manners all around!

WitMom
11-23-2009, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the reassurance everyone. I just feel so bad....we had so much drama around this birthday party anyway (loooong story) and then to have someone show up in tears was almost more than I could take. Glad to know that everyone else thinks we did the right thing. I just needed a vote (or several) of agreement.

MamaMolly
11-23-2009, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the reassurance everyone. I just feel so bad....we had so much drama around this birthday party anyway (loooong story) and then to have someone show up in tears was almost more than I could take. Glad to know that everyone else thinks we did the right thing. I just needed a vote (or several) of agreement.

:kisscheek: sorry it was a rough one. Luckily you don't have to do this again for a whole year!

MMMommy
11-23-2009, 10:36 PM
I think each party handled this situation well. You acted appropriately, and the father of the little girl acted appropriately. I wouldn't have regretted any actions if I were either party in this situation.

DrSally
11-23-2009, 11:52 PM
I would've offered what you offered, and If I were the parent, I woud've done what the dad did. I'm glad he did what he did. I hope he prepped her too, on the way, that she may have missed the BAB part. It would be too hard to have everyone wait while she did her bear, but you still want her to be able to do so, so I'm glad her dad took her back afterward. It was good she got to partake of the cookies and milk with the other girls, so she got to experience some of the social aspects of the party too.