PDA

View Full Version : Throwing up and coughing

JenChem
11-23-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm posting in the food forum because my family is driving me crazy telling me my son has a milk allergy. Frankly they've heard one story of one family with a food allergy and now they comb through our lifestyle looking for ways that DS is somehow similar to this other baby.

So DS is in Daycare and it's winter which means he's had a runny nose for a month and for the past week he's been coughing. This coincided with my DH and I getting sinus infections so I feel sure it's some sort of sickness although he is not getting over it as quickly as us. Unfortunately he often coughs until he catches his breath and then throws up. Its been going on steadily for a week it's driving me absolutely batty. He's also started throwing up at other times too so I feel like I spend his entire day changing our outfits and it's not always when he coughs. What do you all think? Should I try switching to some kind of soy-based formula? His Ped insists he has a cold and he will get over this. She listed all the symptoms of a food allergy and the only one he has is the throwing up. I feel like this is driving me insane and everyone wants me to fix it and I just don't know who to listen to.

egoldber
11-23-2009, 12:31 PM
Well for people who are sensitive to dairy, it can cause increased mucous production which can exacerbate the throwing up issue. My older DD has always had the "choke on her mucous to the point of throwing up" issue and I have noticed that drinking a lot of milk makes it worse.

So I don't think it's an allergy per se, but dairy does affect some people that way.

brittone2
11-23-2009, 03:26 PM
I can't speak to the dairy allergy thing, but my DD has thrown up with most colds she's had, as any mucous production seems to trigger her gag reflex (especially while nursing).

clc053103
11-23-2009, 09:22 PM
DS is 4+ and has done the cough/throw up thing every time he had a cold since he was a baby. he has no issues with milk, but the mucus makes him throw up. Now we expect it during a cold (keep a bin next to his bed in case he wakes up coughing, we don't go out to eat)- but the first few times it happened I was panicked and waiting for his head to fall off next.

ssand23
11-25-2009, 12:03 AM
I'd see if the cough lingers and if it's worse at night. My kids cough until they throw up but it's because they have asthma. They never wheeze but get this horrible cough. Anytime they get sick, the asthma cough kicks in & everything else gets better except the cough. Asthma meds clear it right up.

JenChem
11-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Sorry to disappear on my thread, I'm at my parents for Thanksgiving with limited access.

Well we've started ending his last meal of the day with an ounce of Pedialyte (a suggestion from a respiratory therapist that works with my sister) and it seems to help. I'm not entirely sure why, something about clearing out his throat while not being dairy to produce more mucous. Anyway I figure it's harmless and it gets my family off my back to some degree.

Poor DS has been coughing (with the throwing up) for over 2 weeks now. I'm going to try to get him an appointment with his Ped early next week when we're back in town. He's been congested for over a month and her suggestions of BabyVicks with a humidifier and daily saline cleanings are not helping so I may push for something more. Switching to soy just seems too extreme to me but I may ask about introducing other non-formula fluids (like the pedialyte and maybe water before bedtime or for his middle of the night feeding, just to make sure that I'm not compromising his feeding and growth). I'm also going to ask about little doses of Zyrtec (something a friend did for there baby's congestion). I mean I understand he's in Daycare and he's going to get sick during the winter but it seems like there must be something I can do to get him relief.

Btw having a coughing baby at a large family holiday gathering is hell. I'm obviously a terrible mother for allowing my baby to be congested for so long without exploring every crazy suggested avenue for improving his health. I'm half expecting someone to call CPS on me.

DrSally
11-25-2009, 05:31 PM
I'm sorry. I hope your ped gives you some further direction and that something works soon.

gatorsmom
11-26-2009, 12:00 AM
Sorry to disappear on my thread, I'm at my parents for Thanksgiving with limited access.

Well we've started ending his last meal of the day with an ounce of Pedialyte (a suggestion from a respiratory therapist that works with my sister) and it seems to help. I'm not entirely sure why, something about clearing out his throat while not being dairy to produce more mucous. Anyway I figure it's harmless and it gets my family off my back to some degree.

Poor DS has been coughing (with the throwing up) for over 2 weeks now. I'm going to try to get him an appointment with his Ped early next week when we're back in town. He's been congested for over a month and her suggestions of BabyVicks with a humidifier and daily saline cleanings are not helping so I may push for something more. Switching to soy just seems too extreme to me but I may ask about introducing other non-formula fluids (like the pedialyte and maybe water before bedtime or for his middle of the night feeding, just to make sure that I'm not compromising his feeding and growth). I'm also going to ask about little doses of Zyrtec (something a friend did for there baby's congestion). I mean I understand he's in Daycare and he's going to get sick during the winter but it seems like there must be something I can do to get him relief.

Btw having a coughing baby at a large family holiday gathering is hell. I'm obviously a terrible mother for allowing my baby to be congested for so long without exploring every crazy suggested avenue for improving his health. I'm half expecting someone to call CPS on me.

I'm sorry your family is giving you a hard time. I've found that as time goes on your skin gets thicker. After a while, you'll just smile to the people making those comments and then ignore them without another thought.

I did want to say that if anyone comments again about switching baby over to a soy-based formula, keep in mind that many people who are allergic to dairy are also allergic to soy. I've read that here AND our pediactric allergist said the same thing. If any family says again you should try switching formula, let them know that the nondairy and nonsoy formulas are VERY expensive- like 2x the price of Similac or Enfamil. And it is DISGUSTING, truly aweful tasting and smelling. So, if anyone is insisting you switch, maybe they should insist on paying as well.....

Hope your Thanksgiving gets better AND baby feels better soon.

MamaMolly
11-26-2009, 12:01 AM
FWIW DD has/had a milk allergy and that said she's often throw up while congested. Too much mucous in the system and a hard cough. Milk had nothing to do with it cause she didn't have any ;). She also cries so hard she ends up coughing and gagging. Always has.

I think it is worth finding out why DS is congested and vomiting, but I would try really hard to not get wrapped up in the family-convinced-your-DS-has-a-food-alergy thing.

And I'm sorry you are having a rough time with the extended family. Huge hugs, and you'll be home soon!

JenChem
11-27-2009, 03:06 AM
My little guy is amazing, he hardly coughed at all during the family visit. He must've known they were giving me a hard time!