PDA

View Full Version : Did you register for DC#2?

sfmom
11-23-2009, 01:23 PM
DC #2 is due in a few weeks. And I don't know the gender this time. I'm not sure what registry etiquette is for the second child. Some of my friends did register, so did not. Most of those who did register said they didn't get anything off their registry.

So, did you register?

(I would do this as a poll, I'm not sure how...)

Jacksmommy2b
11-23-2009, 01:26 PM
I did register for this baby - but only for the coupons. :)

Both target and BRU had coupons for $10 gift cards when you started a registry so I did both and just used them to list the things we would need for new baby. We did get a few random gifts, nothing from the registry but it was useful none the less.

You also get completion coupons close to your due date so that helps too!

SnuggleBuggles
11-23-2009, 01:47 PM
No And I did it mostly for the opposite reason as pp- I didn't want ds2 to be "in the system" as much and wind up with a ton of junk mail. I feel more protective of our privacy all around nowadays.

I didn't have a shower for ds2 so I didn't feel a need for a registry either. I just had my list tacked to the fridge f things I wanted and needed.

Beth

klwa
11-23-2009, 01:55 PM

:yeahthat:

ETA: I didn't tell anyone that I was registered, though. Don't think I got anything off it, either.

hellokitty
11-23-2009, 02:00 PM
I wouldn't. Your kids are only 2 yrs apart. Your baby stuff should still be in pretty good shape. I think you would come off looking greedy if you register again with your two children being so close in age.

HIU8
11-23-2009, 02:04 PM
I didn't register for DD. I had lost my job at 4 months pg and I was only working part time on a spotty basis for an old employer. AND my friends didn't throw me a shower (they didn't for DS either though). I basically used stuff from DS for DD and anything I wanted new I bought (or if someone asked me what I wanted/needed for DD I would tell them things within reason).

elektra
11-23-2009, 02:13 PM
I did. I wasn't planning on it but my in laws insisted on doing a shower for both me and SIL, who was also pregnant at the time. I was also having a boy and so I registered for some boy stuff in addition to a few things we needed. It wasn't a huge list by any means but I think it helped the gift givers have some ideas of what we might want. I made sure I had enough $20-ish items on there to be good individual gifts for people.

septmama2b
11-23-2009, 02:14 PM
I am due with baby number 2 in 3 weeks, and my sons will be 15 months apart. I did register, but only for the handful of things I'll need: accessories for my double stroller, a bigger diaper bag, more cloth diapers, an additional camera for the monitor. I have not publicized it but I know several family members have asked what I need for the new baby and my mom has been able to point them to my Amazon registry. I am hoping it will keep me from getting a ton of clothes I don't really need, but we'll see. I figure I would have been asked about what to get him for Christmas anyway.

elephantmeg
11-23-2009, 02:47 PM
I did but it was a lot smaller than with #1. I was having a girl and new products were out. I got a better bouncy seat, some pink sheets, hooded towels etc.

maestramommy
11-23-2009, 02:49 PM
No I did not. But my 2nd kid came right on the heels of the first. So no point really. Besides, I only register if there's going to be a shower.

shoremom
11-23-2009, 02:50 PM

Both target and BRU had coupons for $10 gift cards when you started a registry so I did both and just used them to list the things we would need for new baby. We did get a few random gifts, nothing from the registry but it was useful none the less.

You also get completion coupons close to your due date so that helps too!

:yeahthat:
Exactly why I did...it also helped to organize me by thinking about what I need for #2.

cvanbrunt
11-23-2009, 03:27 PM
I did not. I did not have a shower for #2.

mecawa
11-23-2009, 03:31 PM
I didn't register for #2, but she was a girl just like #1, so we had a lot already. I also had three huge showers with my first so I actually had more than enough (especially clothes). The only things we needed was a new stroller, and a new exersaucer, and a few new clothes, other than that we were set.

brittone2
11-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Nope. A few close family members/friends asked what we needed/wanted. Since my 2nd was a girl, we got a lot of clothing, which was nice (and needed).

I'm not registered with this baby either. There are a few things we need or want, but I'm just picking them up as we go. Our previous swing was a Graco open top that both kids hated, so I'm thinking of buying a FP swing this time around to see if baby #3 likes the side-to-side option. I'm hoping maybe my parents or ILs will offer to buy that. Otherwise, we don't need much. I've picked up a few fun things for the new baby, some new cloth dipes to round out our stash and replace some that have bitten the dust after diapering 2 previous kids, a new swaddling blanket, etc.

AnnieW625
11-23-2009, 03:59 PM
If I am given a shower for this one (co workers have already mentioned it, as has my mom, whose best friend will most likely host) there are few things we will need like a double jogger, a Vista Stroller board, a swing (I had a 10 yo Graco one for DD that we gave to a family in need when DD was done using it), a new Snugride 22 or Key Fit 30, and we will also need at least one convertable car seat (since this will be our last it will most likely be a Cocorro, Roundabout or Diplomat I don't mind losing a few months on the seat if someone else gives it to us). I'd also really like a Miracle Swaddle blanket, a temporal artery thermometer, some Fuzzi Bunz cloth diapers (currently using these for DD at night so if they don't work with #2 then they should work with DD!), and I'd love some more Bumkins bibs. I don't need towels, blankets, plates, bowls, or a Bumbo seat. We most likely aren't finding out the sex of the baby so I have a couple of months of gender neutral stuff from DD. We can also use all of the same nursey stuff because it was gender neutral.

jgenie
11-23-2009, 04:03 PM
No, I thought about registering just so I could get the completion coupon, but now that BBB accepts BBBeyond coupons I can get everything discounted anyway so will be skipping the registry.

MommyAllison
11-23-2009, 05:03 PM
I did not, though I was asked. My neighbors are having twin girls after 3 boys, and I wish they had registered (I checked a few stores) because I have no idea what they still need! But for me, I felt like if someone wanted to get DS a gift, they probably knew me well enough to ask what was needed/wanted.

ETA: There was a shower thrown for DS. It is very common in my area and circle of friends to have showers for every baby, though I was raised to believe that you only have a shower for baby #1. My best friend asked to host a shower and when I said I didn't really feel comfortable with one, she told me if I didn't let her throw a shower, she'd invite me to lunch and have a surprise shower there. ;) It was actually a great shower, because the majority of the gifts were handmade and very special, and it was just close friends.

pb&j
11-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Yes, but for the coupons and as just a shopping list for me. I didn't tell anyone I was registered, or expect anything from my registry. I think my mom bought some things off of it - things like drop-ins, Medela microwave bags, and other "consumables." I didn't have a shower for either child, so really, the registries were just to keep me organized.

ZeeBaby
11-23-2009, 05:27 PM
I did not register for DD2. Mostly because I was too tired to do anything other then take care of DD1 with them being so close together. I also didn't expect a shower for the second, but my friends and co-workers surprised me and I ended up with three showers or sprinkles. I received giftcards and clothing for the 2nd baby. I was extremely blessed and thankful. I don't see anything wrong with registering for a second as long as you show some restraint. I also think that the notions of only a shower for the 1st baby are becoming outdated. People want to celebrate every child, even if they can only chip in $10 for a group gift.

wencit
11-23-2009, 05:45 PM
No, I did not. I didn't know the gender of my second child, either, but I figured he/she could reuse most of the stuff from big brother. But then again, I'm a big planner, so I bought all gender-neutral stuff with my first child so I could reuse for the second one, including clothing (well, for the first few months at least -- there is very little gender neutral clothing after about 6 months, or I would have bought that, too!). As it turns out, I had another boy, who is such a chunky monkey that he's wearing the same clothes as his big brother, even though he's 4 months younger as far as seasons go. So I've really had to buy nothing for DS2 except for diapers and wipes.

I really did not want another shower, but many of my friends got us gift cards to BRU or Target anyways, which was much appreciated. I just did not see the need to register for anything.

sfmom
11-24-2009, 02:46 PM
Thanks, everyone. I wasn't planning on registering. It's just that I've been asked a bunch of time and my reply has been that I wasn't planning on it since I don't really need anything and it doesn't feel right. I think the issue is that, if I do have a boy, I'll have to have Bris ceremony and people have been asking me what to get for that. But in any case, I don't think I'm going to register.

Thanks for the feedback!

MamaMolly
11-24-2009, 06:10 PM
I haven't yet but I have started a wish list on Amazon, but I'm the only one who can see it. I'm using it to keep a list of what I want/need for DD2. I plan to switch to cloth diapers for example, so help with that would be great. Just like with DD1 we are overseas again, so I won't have a shower (again) but I think registering would help friends and family get us something useful. This time ;).

I plan to register for a new car seat, and I love the idea of registering for accessories for the double stroller (thanks septmama2b!!). I was feeling funny about asking for the $$$$$ stroller, but the accessories are a GREAT idea. I'm also getting a video monitor because the DD's rooms are upstairs and the master is down. Cloth diapers and Sophie the Giraffe and that is about the extent of my list :).