PDA

View Full Version : This whole Thanksgiving thing

hillview
11-23-2009, 04:13 PM
So I can't seem to bring myself to order Thanksgiving out and have decided to cook. What can I make say tomorrow that will still be ok for Thursday. Same question -- what can I make Wednesday?

TIA!
/hillary

SnuggleBuggles
11-23-2009, 04:22 PM
My prep ahead schedule all takes place Wed. (maybe Tues. for cranberries):
-prep asparagus (rinse and cut)
-rolls
-chop and sautee onions and celery for stuffing
-dry out bread, if necessary, for stuffing
-cranberries
-peel and dice potatoes for mashed potatoes then put in salted water in fridge
-I'm thinking I can do my sweet potatoes and just reheat Thurs.
-brine turkey
-make whipped cream

Beth

maestramommy
11-23-2009, 04:25 PM
I've seen turkeys at TJs that are already brined, if that helps. I think things like potatoes you can do the day before, and just reheat. If you make cranberry sauce, same thing.

babybunny
11-23-2009, 04:38 PM
Wednesday
Buy potatoes, fresh green beans, sweet potatoes, apple sauce, canned or box of chicken stock, stuffing mix, cranberry sauce, gravy in a jar, fresh turkey or turkey breast, corn muffin mix, salad.....

You can peel potatoes the day before and keep them soaking in cold water in the fridge.
Same with fresh grean beans - wash and cut off the ends and keep in cold water in the fridge. You can also peel and cook the sweet potatoes, mash them, doctor them up a bit (pineapple, spices, etc.) and bake it in a casserole dish topped with marshmellows on Thursday....

Thursday -- Make stuffing, bake turkey, make mashed potatoes, cook green beans. Make salad. Make corn muffins Carve turkey. Bake muffins. Bake Sweet potatoes. Heat gravy.

AnnieW625
11-23-2009, 04:52 PM
I've seen turkeys at TJs that are already brined, if that helps. I think things like potatoes you can do the day before, and just reheat. If you make cranberry sauce, same thing.

We made one on Saturday and it wasn't overly salty! Plus it wasn't frozen so you could literally buy it now and keep it in the fridge and cook it on Thursday morning.

m448
11-23-2009, 06:17 PM
this is what I'm doing and I'm not one to prep ahead if it affects quality so these items will taste the same as if fresh prepped

Today: Made cranberry sauce, cornbread for stuff and biscuits (for stuffing). Other biscuits are frozen unbaked for popping in the oven on Thursday.

Tomorrow: Mixing up dressing and leaving unbaked in the fridge. Making mashed potatoes (PW's recipe) and leaving in the fridge. The mashed potatoes reheat covered in the oven and the dressing bakes at the same temp.

Wednesday: Baking sweet potato pie and pumpkin pie crunch.

Thursday: Bake biscuits, make caramelized onion greenbeans, reheat rest of stuff and the turkey is coming from Cracker barrel with gravy.

hillview
11-23-2009, 08:15 PM
Seriously you guys rock! PLEASE keep it coming!!
/hillary